Can someone help verify a problem in VX?

I have been trying to develop an app for VX, and I need to know if the problems that I am running into are just on my end.

I do not think that they are, I am using a FRESH vanilla install of the game with update p with zero addons.

The problem is when trying to launch the sequencer with the French or Portuguese language and sometimes other languages set as default in the options manager. It keeps crashing with those languages.

I think I have isolated the culprit file and need someone to test the theory out on their game.

Could someone with update p try to load the sequencer with the French and Portuguese languages set in options manager and see if it crashes?

On my fresh install, the problem seems to be the following block of code in \VX-Mod\Scripts\Shared\Person\CcPersonDefault.lua at the very top of the file.

274107987_PersonDefault(2).jpg.864ed55194ff63fae0dc8d8506f6e4fc.jpg

When I remove this block and save the file, there are no more crashes when trying to load the sequencer in ANY language.

When I re-insert the block, the crashes begin again without exception.

I know that the code is there for a reason and am not proposing taking it out except to test. Of course only after you back up the file so you can restore it after testing.

Any corroboration would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance to anyone who chooses to investigate.

Edited by ITIB

The above code seems kind of redundant to me.

I'm not really versed in Lua but assignment of  langid=options.lang and then assigning it again when declaring var{langid=options.lang} seems redundant.

Maybe I'm wrong, just thinking out load.

But this seems to work to avoid crashes.

PersonDefault.jpg.91bebc1db01384dd116ce9cad429391f.jpg

1 hour ago, ITIB said:

They work in the Sequencer?

yes.

I'm not really versed in Lua but assignment of  langid=options.lang and then assigning it again when declaring var{langid=options.lang} seems redundant. Maybe I'm wrong, just thinking out load.

yes, you are wrong ;)

there are Lua variables and what you could call game engine variables (the get_vars() in line 2 fetches a couple of them)

the statements langid=options.lang and var{langid=options.lang} are very similar but not the same thing.

This bit of Lua code is used to "read" the current value of the game variable langid and updates and "rewrites" it when needed

The export() call on line 9 is a crucial part of it. 

Edited by Marburg
3 hours ago, Marburg said:

yes.

Then I really have to look at hardware issues because I have re-downloaded the setup and update multiple times and my sequencer hangs and crashes every time I try to load with those languages. Hmmmm. This is a really recent computer build and has passed every benchmark test that I have put i through so far. I am going to hold off on developing anything until I can isolate my problem.

3 hours ago, Marburg said:

yes, you are wrong ;)

there are Lua variables and what you could call game engine variables (the get_vars() in line 2 fetches a couple of them)

the statements langid=options.lang and var{langid=options.lang} are very similar but not the same thing.

This bit of Lua code is used to "read" the current value of the game variable langid and updates and "rewrites" it when needed

The export() call on line 9 is a crucial part of it. 

That's interesting, I really need to study Lua more.

26 minutes ago, ITIB said:

Then I really have to look at hardware issues because I have re-downloaded the setup and update multiple times and my sequencer hangs and crashes every time I try to load with those languages. Hmmmm. This is a really recent computer build and has passed every benchmark test that I have put i through so far. I am going to hold off on developing anything until I can isolate my problem.

French and Portugese both use lots of special non-ASCII characters. maybe your Windows install misses support for these characters? im not even sure how its done nowadays but back in the Dark Ages you needed certain codepages (?) for special characters.

That's interesting, I really need to study Lua more.

That's always a good idea. Knowledge is power.

And life is a lot more fun if you know how to code. I'd be bored to death without it.