A disturbing trend

There was a time before steam you know, and it was good and had little to no MTX or garbage items just expansion sets and DLC some time after the game came out not on the disc before release. Companies can get paid just fine but they always find some excuses to claim such high prices for their games. The usual $60 price tag has no relevance now as nothing is sold in a store anymore or put on a disc it is entirely done through steam or some other service. There is no printing of 200 page instruction manuals that are written by professionals anymore and no box art design and printing costs and packaging and shipping and handling by union teamsters. The game literally goes from developer to steam and so why are we paying so much? we can't even host our own servers for shooter games anymore all that is handled by some season pass locked down monstrosity that just drains all the fun out of gaming. Gone are the days of counterstrike 1.6 and old skool servers unless you know where to look and even then it is just so ancient and boring.

There have been incidents where someone leaked a game menu I think it was destiny 2 just before it came out well... the user lost all their games their entire library because some pissed off cunt developer rage deleted them all from his account. It doesn't matter if what that user did violated some agreement you still don't get to be a five year old and press delete just to get them back. No instead you take them to court for violating their agreement and some money changes hands. 

There will always be the most cheap and efficient content delivery such as steam and some other crap they have got it down to a science now. So yes content does matter because nobody gets excited about steam itself but rather the content sold on it.

17 hours ago, Zor2k13 said:

There was a time before steam you know, and it was good and had little to no MTX or garbage items just expansion sets and DLC some time after the game came out not on the disc before release. Companies can get paid just fine but they always find some excuses to claim such high prices for their games. The usual $60 price tag has no relevance now as nothing is sold in a store anymore or put on a disc it is entirely done through steam or some other service. There is no printing of 200 page instruction manuals that are written by professionals anymore and no box art design and printing costs and packaging and shipping and handling by union teamsters. The game literally goes from developer to steam and so why are we paying so much? we can't even host our own servers for shooter games anymore all that is handled by some season pass locked down monstrosity that just drains all the fun out of gaming. Gone are the days of counterstrike 1.6 and old skool servers unless you know where to look and even then it is just so ancient and boring.

There have been incidents where someone leaked a game menu I think it was destiny 2 just before it came out well... the user lost all their games their entire library because some pissed off cunt developer rage deleted them all from his account. It doesn't matter if what that user did violated some agreement you still don't get to be a five year old and press delete just to get them back. No instead you take them to court for violating their agreement and some money changes hands. 

There will always be the most cheap and efficient content delivery such as steam and some other crap they have got it down to a science now. So yes content does matter because nobody gets excited about steam itself but rather the content sold on it.

I learned so much from those games

Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain for Amiga (1990 ...

Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain gameplay (PC Game ...

5 hours ago, steelpanther24 said:

I learned so much from those games

Their Finest Hour: The Battle of Britain for Amiga (1990 ...

I never played that game. I was the adventure guy. I played all of the LucasArts games that were adventure. Classics.

p.s. i played Wings to death.

Edited by wutpickel
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2021 at 8:33 AM, johnpage said:

Wow! you took me back with this title i used to play TFH for ages in my late 20's but my personel favorite from that time is great naval battles oh good times

90828-great-naval-battles-north-atlantic-1939-43-dos-front-cover.jpg

I wonder why I never picked that one up.    I was mostly Wing Commander, Star Wars X Wing, SSI gold box series, F14 Flight Defender and Empire.     The one you posted looks good like a take on GDW's "2nd Fleet" (board/war game).

On 10/15/2021 at 9:40 PM, Zor2k13 said:

This whole nexus thing was inevitable it is human nature to eventually take from others and it is probably a good thing that nexus showed us all how they really feel now before starfield or future games are released. Now people don't have to invest any of their time in nexus anymore or making hot files list and all that crap. Just pop up a patreon page, upload some slut uniform mods and get paid. Modding will suffer a lot because of this whole nexus thing but it was bound to happen sooner or later. Just about anything has to go down and crash before it can rise back up again. Nexus had a real good thing going for themselves for a long time and they screwed up everything. Honestly if I knew how to make slut uniform mods and upload them to patreon... yeah I would be doing it too but nothing lasts forever. Cell phones and crazy hours jobs are killing entertainment it all gets dumbed down to a cell phone and a tik tok video then whatever ads you can milk for money on that mess. Youtubers are gonna change up sooner or later too... everything is the dam cell phones now. Computer users are "old people" and so the focus of content is young, stupid cell phone addicts they don't even have to make cell phone games for them anymore just do tik tok or similar and get paid.

Content is king and focus of content is emperor, I hate to say these things since I'm a computer user or "old people" whatever but everything really is turning to shit. Tik tok and big asses and titties are the near term future for attention and money. I really hope starfield will be some gigantic open space thing with lots of potential for alternate start slut mods but hope doesn't just works.

Now that nexus has shit the bed maybe these mod authors can stop hiding on discord and setup a page somewhere. Hopefully ALL of them that left nexus can eventually do this.

Nexus didn't "take" anything from anyone. They simply said you can't delete files any more. Since part of the upload process is an agreement that gives Nexus a license to distribute your files, which is the only way it can work given the current copyright environment, very little actually changed from a modder's perspective. Nexus still doesn't own your mod. You can still set your mod to hidden if you don't want it downloaded. But if it was already a part of a collection, it will still be available via that collection so the collection itself doesn't break.

Collections are actually a decent idea, especially since anyone who mods games knows just how hard it is to get everything actually working together along the fact that some mods just don't work when installed together. And they know just how easily one bad mod can break an installation. So what was inevitable was that people would get all pissy about control and take their toys and go home. Meanwhile, most people understand that once something is uploaded to the internet, it's forever. Don't want your creation shared outside your control? Don't upload it. Everything else is impotent rage and you'll just die mad about it or else spend a shit ton on lawyers for little to no regaining of control along with spending every spare minute of your life filing DMCA takedown notices.

What I miss are the days when individuals created things for the joy of creation, then tossed them out into the wide world for others to enjoy. Now the conversation is dominated by people that want to get paid for every shitty thing they do and that's what fucked everything up for everyone else. I'm specially looking at patreon fucks that are just converting Daz outfits and releasing them behind paywalls while claiming them as their own work. Their rage warms the cockles of my little black heart each time I see one of their rants about how someone "stole" their "creation". Sparky, you didn't create shit. You didn't even transform it enough to make it qualify as an original work. Just take your derivative ass and go sit down somewhere while you think about ways to be less of a cunt.

16 hours ago, steelpanther24 said:

I wonder why I never picked that one up.    I was mostly Wing Commander, Star Wars X Wing, SSI gold box series, F14 Flight Defender and Empire.     The one you posted looks good like a take on GDW's "2nd Fleet" (board/war game).

HI, i looked up 2nd fleet but all i could find was a modern era game but i found this interesting video on utube hope that helps all best.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it completely depends, if a mod autor just deleted their mod from the internet and doesn't upload it anywhere else i don't think they really own that mod anymore in that way. They still own the mod but for as long as they are gone theres often many people stuck with finding an alternative, i don't see how its detrimental to anyone if it gets uploaded by a fan so people can still use it.

Leaving a site like nexus has a tiny impact on nexus but a fairly big impact on the users so if said users upload it to a different site you kinda get the best of both worlds.

15 minutes ago, FovI said:

I think it completely depends, if a mod autor just deleted their mod from the internet and doesn't upload it anywhere else i don't think they really own that mod anymore in that way. They still own the mod but for as long as they are gone theres often many people stuck with finding an alternative, i don't see how its detrimental to anyone if it gets uploaded by a fan so people can still use it.

Leaving a site like nexus has a tiny impact on nexus but a fairly big impact on the users so if said users upload it to a different site you kinda get the best of both worlds.

That could work if there was a definition of the amount of time that has passed before it is considered "abandonedware"   Several years ago, there were a few websites that offered old games (from the 90s) as free downloads but now those very same games are being sold and to download a free copy is considered piracy. 

Finally, mod authors are typically doing it for free.  Lawyers don't like free so there will not be any rule of law to make a decision, only accepted practice by our modding community.    As a (minor) Mod Author, I would not like it if someone reposted my mod somewhere, as there may be many reasons someone doesn't want that mod out there.     What Nexus did was pretty shitty, but they are entitled to do it.   What some mod authors did (such as FlashyJoe) sucks, but they are entitled to do it.    So, I don't think it is a "tiny" impact (if I left Nexus that would be a tiny impact indeed, as it would affect only 7k people), but the removal of Crime and Punishment affected tens of thousands.   

BTW, I share your concern as I dread having to find some mods that have been banned by Nexus for reasons that I do not see as important, so person to person transfer of mods is one thing, but wide sharing of mods w/o the mod authors approval is still a bad thing to do.

On 11/21/2021 at 3:39 PM, steelpanther24 said:

That could work if there was a definition of the amount of time that has passed before it is considered "abandonedware"   Several years ago, there were a few websites that offered old games (from the 90s) as free downloads but now those very same games are being sold and to download a free copy is considered piracy. 

Finally, mod authors are typically doing it for free.  Lawyers don't like free so there will not be any rule of law to make a decision, only accepted practice by our modding community.    As a (minor) Mod Author, I would not like it if someone reposted my mod somewhere, as there may be many reasons someone doesn't want that mod out there.     What Nexus did was pretty shitty, but they are entitled to do it.   What some mod authors did (such as FlashyJoe) sucks, but they are entitled to do it.    So, I don't think it is a "tiny" impact (if I left Nexus that would be a tiny impact indeed, as it would affect only 7k people), but the removal of Crime and Punishment affected tens of thousands.   

BTW, I share your concern as I dread having to find some mods that have been banned by Nexus for reasons that I do not see as important, so person to person transfer of mods is one thing, but wide sharing of mods w/o the mod authors approval is still a bad thing to do.

I completely agree that nexusmods has gone over the line many times and i would support a law that protects mod developers for sure but the issue is that people will find alternatives on nexus and keep using the site in that way it has a small impact to the site i would suspect. People on the internet are usually terrible at embargo's too but i would love too see that and have a different site that respects its modders more take over nexus' role. The game thing you mentioned is basically a question of availability, you can't get it from the original source so its free game for anyone to download it for free usually, i think the same applies to mods in a way. There is obviously a difference and reuploading it to the nexus or even a different site as a mod again is questionable at best but i also see people just uploading it in a forum post here with a mediafire link or something and that' s generally just trying to help others who are trying to find it back (aka almost no-one who doesn't specifically look for the mod or why its gone wont find it). 

Lastly, thanks for contributing to the community! if you could leave a link to your mod(s) i'd love to check it out.

On 10/26/2021 at 5:34 AM, Zor2k13 said:

not to mention how many more copies are sold for "AAA" games these days. all the money wont go to anything good for the employees or consumers either, 60+ dollar or euro games are just scam. Oh and they're trying to put 10 extra moneys on top of that base price with the latest releases

On 7/15/2021 at 12:09 AM, TheBottomhoodofSteel said:

Honestly, You're not entitled to someone else's work. I don't think it's cool to rehost other people's work unless they give permission. Plus with authors leaking out to personal sites, and such from Nexus, you might be hurting the authors by not spreading the new location they are choosing to upload to. There's 0 justification to reupload an author's work without permission or act like you are owed that work. 

Best to get in touch with the authors whose works you like and see what their plans are in this situation with Nexus and respect their decisions and make sure to promote the author to others who might go looking for their work. 

Mods are prolly gonna disappear, but in the end it do be like that sometimes. You're not owed someone else's work and if you don't like that, then learn the tools, learn the skills and make your own version with big titty bitches and blackjack, then you'll have all the rights to it you want. 

i agree but 99/100 times the dev and their mod just dissapears into nothing, they delete their account and leave no link to their new hosting place behind, i the author is still reachable or you can find a place where the author has uploaded it instead. you indeed have no right to claim the mod or reupload it but sharing it via a link in a forum on a different site is simply harmless and just an attempt to help others, if i saw someone asking if anyone still had a mod they cant find anywhere anymore i would upload give it to them i think anyone would.

1 hour ago, FovI said:

I completely agree that nexusmods has gone over the line many times and i would support a law that protects mod developers for sure but the issue is that people will find alternatives on nexus and keep using the site in that way it has a small impact to the site i would suspect. People on the internet are usually terrible at embargo's too but i would love too see that and have a different site that respects its modders more take over nexus' role. The game thing you mentioned is basically a question of availability, you can't get it from the original source so its free game for anyone to download it for free usually, i think the same applies to mods in a way. There is obviously a difference and reuploading it to the nexus or even a different site as a mod again is questionable at best but i also see people just uploading it in a forum post here with a mediafire link or something and that' s generally just trying to help others who are trying to find it back (aka almost no-one who doesn't specifically look for the mod or why its gone wont find it). 

Lastly, thanks for contributing to the community! if you could leave a link to your mod(s) i'd love to check it out.

Here is the mod, and I am working on an update (doubling the number of music, ads and DJ comments) but the DJ is pretty busy and doesn't have a mic, so  I need to  find out a solution to that issue (I will likely have to buy her a mic).  

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42052

16 hours ago, steelpanther24 said:

Here is the mod, and I am working on an update (doubling the number of music, ads and DJ comments) but the DJ is pretty busy and doesn't have a mic, so  I need to  find out a solution to that issue (I will likely have to buy her a mic).  

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42052

hahaha okay, i took a look and i'm definitely taking it for a spin, seems like alot of fun

• 8 months later...
On 7/14/2021 at 10:09 PM, MrFuturehope said:

I admit. I reuploaded FSM Body Textures mod without the original author's permission, exclusively here for Loverslab users. People were asking me to do so and the original author could not be reached through Nexus due to his account being deleted. What would you do in my place and what should I do now after hundreds of people downloaded the files that I uploaded as a backup while making it clear in my thread that I am not the original author, all credits goes to the original author and I just wanted to provide a backup of one of my favorite mods that can't be downloaded anymore, but which is still crucial for many people playing Fallout 4? Should I remove the files now and request moderators to delete that thread as if nothing happened? I guess that would be as bad as when the mod disappeared for the first time without trace.

yeah, i agree, this is a position many of us have been in even though i usually provide people a link if they request it in my dm's but thats just impossible to do for most mods and most people

A texture mod isn't crucial to playing FO4. Matter of fact no "mods" are for any game. Defining a mod as crucial to playing the game is purely subjective you can rationalize however you want it is bullshit. The mod author wants them removed it is their IP, they can choose to do so. Just like you choose to facilitate pirating of said IP after the fact.

This is parallel to revenge porn. They distributed it. They now want it removed. They should be able to the world isn't going to end for them doing so. Not like people are suddenly not able to inherently play a game without X mod either that is again bullshit. Some coomer paid for feet pics covered in watermelons with a bad dragon dildo between them shooting butterscotch lube and decides they should be able to redistribute them because they paid for them and now the creator is MIA. Or some coomer says but think of the coomers and great gardens of lost porn. And rehost it infinitely. Same logic.

If your going to to ignore a MA's or creators wishes don't change your pirate flag to grey because you have a half a conscious about it. Don't skirt legalese by citing some terms and conditions of the host or medium used. Your saying once you sign over your soul it's not yours anymore, even though it should be. You're not recognizing it as such. No need for a white knight facade about helping other pirates sail the sea because you got a limited edition compass and want to share your experience with it.

I am only a pirate because my people need me.... hilarious connotation. At least robin hood fed the poor.

Not gonna lie, if it wasn't for the "So&So reacted to your post" Notifications I get occasionally I would not even have jumped back into this. 

Most game modding communities have been moving towards a disturbing entitlement to every and any content any artist makes alongside the author's entire soul and self.... It's not surprising given how little value society places on artists works and how progression in AI/Etc is leading on to attempts to basically force the artist out of their own work. between NFTS which was plagued by a Plagirism/theft problem from inception to AI art bots that also are plagued by theft/plagirism it just shows how little creative effort is valued in favor of instant self gratification and an entitlement to an artists work. 

The thing isn't about mods. It's about entitlement. So many people believe themselves to be OWED mods. OWED other people's works in any way they want it. Some people even go as far as thinking they OWN the authors/mods involved because they "support them" with downloads and popularity... And if an Author dares to have boundaries and expect respect... or god forbid payment for the hours of work they do, they're the villain and guilt tripped endlessly because they don't "do it for the love of the game" nevermind that "Love of the game" doesn't pay rent/utilities/food/program licenses/etc so one can keep pushing content. 

A lot of people like to justify their behaviors to artists by "Well you put it out there so you obviously no longer own it" and use whatever is convenient to them to get their way. It's just part of that disturbing devaluation of artists  and attempt to remove the artist from their work to fulfill some self gratification off the backs of others. 

It's ironic cause people want to play captain save-a-hoe for Nexus like "well wont' anyone just think of their bills. They can't just host for free! Obviously they have to make some hosting costs"  ... Yet turn around and get angry that the person who puts the labor in to make their mods even dares to ask for a little bit of respect or money for the work they produced lmao. 

• 9 months later...

This is my opinion.

This wouldn't be a problem if mod authors didn't delete mods that they know a lot of users need. For example, if the creator of AAF Framework for Fallout 4 decided to just delete that mod, all of the mods depending on that would become instantly useless. The thread with all of the AAF mods would become as useless as a shoe shop in the Shire. That's why I'm all for other users reuploading important mods that get deleted, with consent of course. BUT, if the original author can't be found or contacted, then I believe that it should be fair game at that point. I mean, it's not the users' fault that they decided to delete a mod that tons of others rely on. Also, if you delete the mod, then that should be a sign that you've given up rights for it. It would be like someone throwing away an empty can and a homeless man coming by and collecting it so he can get money for recycling it. I mean, shit, if I deleted my mods from both here and Nexus, and I found out that someone else reuploaded them, I honestly wouldn't care, because again, that would mean I gave them up.

Man, I see this all the Time " I uploaded this Mod because the Author didn't get back to me, if and when they do I will act on their wishes to use or Remove?

I try to avoid using those mods.

Let's say I travelled abroad, You wanted to use my Car, I'm not answering your question of "Can I use your Car", I decide to join a Wine making sect of Monks and stay a while.

Does that make it Ok for you to use my car inperpituity, (as long as you want) how would you react upon my return, Man I have put resources into the care and maintenance of this car, as the Owner I say............

Maybe they cannot be contacted because they got tired of users contacting them for this, that, or the other. Maybe Life happened and they are enjoying the next level, who cares. If they didn't post allowances, and can't be contacted, so be it. Learn to mod and remake a mod similar to what you wanted to use.

It's not nice to steal someone's car!  Neither is it acceptable to gamble that the Creator of said content will get pissed off or not.

If they did not post allowances for use and credit, Just Don't.

Edited by Sir Bron
  • 4 months later...
On 5/23/2023 at 1:01 PM, Guest said:

This is my opinion.

This wouldn't be a problem if mod authors didn't delete mods that they know a lot of users need. For example, if the creator of AAF Framework for Fallout 4 decided to just delete that mod, all of the mods depending on that would become instantly useless. The thread with all of the AAF mods would become as useless as a shoe shop in the Shire. That's why I'm all for other users reuploading important mods that get deleted, with consent of course. BUT, if the original author can't be found or contacted, then I believe that it should be fair game at that point. I mean, it's not the users' fault that they decided to delete a mod that tons of others rely on. Also, if you delete the mod, then that should be a sign that you've given up rights for it. It would be like someone throwing away an empty can and a homeless man coming by and collecting it so he can get money for recycling it. I mean, shit, if I deleted my mods from both here and Nexus, and I found out that someone else reuploaded them, I honestly wouldn't care, because again, that would mean I gave them up.

This is exactly what a lot of people here don't get. If the modder deleted all their mods and just disappeared of the face of the Earth without leaving any trace behind, then I can assure you, they just don't give a shit anymore.

I'm going to add to this, as a modder (but I can not speak for other modders):

People move on and things happen. There are times I go for like a year a do not check my LL account. Also, I am not an idiot, I do not link my NSFW mods to my normal contact information. There is a good chance that some time I will totally lose the ability to use this account. 

If things I make get taken down or become broken and someone wants to put them back on line or fix them for an update, good for them. I have written out some conditions on my mod pages (like, do not post my kink mods to nexus, do not charge $, do not make forks just for lolz), but otherwise I think that 'I reposted it and will take it down if Gray User asks' is an ok way to do things. 

But also, I am old and I remember when shit on the internet was mostly for free and we all thought that information/tools/content should be as shared as possible.