How to Swap Costumes?

I got a mod that swaps outfits but some of the outfits are replacing outfits in the game that I don't have. Is there a way to change which outfits they're replacing or do I have to actually unlock those outfits in game? And if you can't change the outfits they replace, why would modders not just replace the base outfits so they don't have to go over unlocked ones?

open the "mod.ini" in the mod folder . It looks like:

[General]
type = costume

[Costume]
slot = "KAS_COS_037"

To change to slot ## that you can access, say 001 
change the [Costume] section to:

[Costume]
slot = "KAS_COS_001"
work = "KAS_COS_037"

In short, "slot =" the one you want to use, "work =" the mod

This didn't work, but thanks for trying to help anyway. Mine doesn't quite look like that, there's no 'work =' section at all. It looks like this

[General]
type = costume

[Costume]
slot = "KAS_COS_002"

I ended up just grinding to unlock the costumes that worked or, unfortunately, buying DLC ones to make it work. I still don't understand why the modders wouldn't just put them over the first costume slots, but oh well. Thanks for your help! If you have another idea, I'd like to see if I can figure it out for future reference for this or other games.

That is the "slot-work" setting function of REDELBE. You add the the "work" slot to replace the "slot" one.  Modder select characters and slots for texture slots and special effects, it is not fully arbitrary. And the "slot-work" setting has been used widely in modding for applying mods to other characters. It has been proved works in most of the cases, you just need to try more harder.

On 7/3/2021 at 12:18 AM, fgh1t6 said:

That is the "slot-work" setting function of REDELBE. You add the the "work" slot to replace the "slot" one.  Modder select characters and slots for texture slots and special effects, it is not fully arbitrary. And the "slot-work" setting has been used widely in modding for applying mods to other characters. It has been proved works in most of the cases, you just need to try more harder.

True, it works, but what about the "hair"? That sometimes works, sometimes not, some mods it doesnt  even work with the proper costume, i can only guess some update messed it up - for example "Ann Takamaki" no mask whatsoever. *sad*  

On 7/8/2021 at 8:48 AM, MaidoLover said:

True, it works, but what about the "hair"? That sometimes works, sometimes not, some mods it doesnt  even work with the proper costume, i can only guess some update messed it up - for example "Ann Takamaki" no mask whatsoever. *sad*  

Read the "readme" file of REDELBE for how to switch on debug options and then check the "redelbe_log.txt" records to locate which files has been loaded, a bit tedious but worth, since you can then find out which set should be replaced. Many hair sets are reused, depends on the slot used, some of them will even be replaced during the fighting. For mask. there are two types, one is in Hair set the other is in the costume set. so you have to check the log file to find out which set is used.

On 7/14/2021 at 8:57 AM, Sol_Bradguy said:

Sadly try more harder doesn't work when we're talking about specific code that gets messed up by single misplaced periods and stuff.

upload your mod's original mod.ini and the one you changed here so we can have a look.

On 7/17/2021 at 1:41 PM, fgh1t6 said:

Read the "readme" file of REDELBE for how to switch on debug options and then check the "redelbe_log.txt" records to locate which files has been loaded, a bit tedious but worth, since you can then find out which set should be replaced. Many hair sets are reused, depends on the slot used, some of them will even be replaced during the fighting. For mask. there are two types, one is in Hair set the other is in the costume set. so you have to check the log file to find out which set is used.

I see, i'll try this, thanks (but yeah seems complicated)

And yeah, i noticed this, sometimes the hair will just change during a fight, haha pretty weird. ?