"look at this"modern city like modertown mod "LE/SE"

• lordarked changed the title to "look at this"modern city like modertown mod "LE/SE"
  • 2 months later...
On 6/18/2021 at 4:24 PM, lordarked said:

i found this on a corean site is like modern town mod but much bettter wiht npcs also

LE VERSION :https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_YZ6er0M1R8Xfih9Q4ZVf1wSe0SZkp0s/view

SE VERSION; https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sj1yOwWiRnahdtc4EZp44CE_VQ0YM0VA/view

the door is a spellbook on riverwood entrande is on the floor

E4HqcaaXIAEcZJM.jpg

E4HqcaaXIAIte0T.jpg

E4HqcabWUAI6lE-.jpg

E4HqcaZXwAQyBQZ.jpg

Hi there, Just wanted to say a huge thanks for posting this Mod, it's totally Amazing, do you have any idea who made it? I love modern builds like this for Skyrim it makes it feel like a new game. Many many thanks again.??

• 5 months later...

This mod crashes for me. The problem is every single texture is saved incorrectly.

They all were converted into BC7 without actually checking if the texture dimensions were power of 2. They are not.

Edited by MrChow
4 hours ago, MrChow said:

This mod crashes for me. The problem is every single texture is saved incorrectly.

They all were converted into BC7 without actually checking if the texture dimensions were power of 2. They are not.

BC7 is should be more performance friendly for SE. Did you install SE instead of LE (BC5)?

23 minutes ago, Thor2000 said:

BC7 is should be more performance friendly for SE. Did you install SE instead of LE (BC5)?

The only copy alive here is for SSE, and I do run SSE 1.5.97, so this is what I'm using.

Performance has nothing to do with it (though BC7 is in fact the most resource-intensive and complex format, it is designed for fast decoding rather than encoding). This happens because not all implementations of DX11 within different editions of Windows and its drivers are equal. Some absolutely hate textures that simultaneously have mipmaps and aren't power of 2 (i.e. different in either width or height from 2, 4, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192...). This is a known problem (and is considered an invalid combo in older versions of DDS export plugins) and tools like NIFScan catch on this immediately (which is how I learned about it).

If the mod doesn't crash on you, it means your combo of DX11 + drivers is less strict about what is considered a valid texture format. Unfortunately, this is pretty much a lottery to everyone.

Edited by MrChow
On 3/9/2022 at 11:53 AM, MrChow said:

The only copy alive here is for SSE, and I do run SSE 1.5.97, so this is what I'm using.

Performance has nothing to do with it (though BC7 is in fact the most resource-intensive and complex format, it is designed for fast decoding rather than encoding). This happens because not all implementations of DX11 within different editions of Windows and its drivers are equal. Some absolutely hate textures that simultaneously have mipmaps and aren't power of 2 (i.e. different in either width or height from 2, 4, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192...). This is a known problem (and is considered an invalid combo in older versions of DDS export plugins) and tools like NIFScan catch on this immediately (which is how I learned about it).

If the mod doesn't crash on you, it means your combo of DX11 + drivers is less strict about what is considered a valid texture format. Unfortunately, this is pretty much a lottery to everyone.

Well you seem to know your share about it. I've just came across this thread a while back and it's a quite interesting when it comes to the BC7 format.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/5h6c0p/texture_compression_and_you_skyrim_se_edition/

Not that I'm planning on going full in on BC7 when I create my textures. I still use BC5 since I'm on LE. I'm not even sure if the difference is worth it in the long run. The GIMP version I use can't even compress in BC7 formats so I'd have to go through a second app to do that.

About power of two.... Yeah I know about it.. some SE users reported CTD because of some textures not having symmetry in the mod Demonic Creatures. For LE this is a non CTD issue. If I recall correctly I used Cathedral Optimizer on the textures and that seemed to fix these asymmetries 

9 hours ago, Thor2000 said:

I used Cathedral Optimizer on the textures and that seemed to fix these asymmetries 

Unfortunately, CAO doesn't actually fix these textures. It doesn't resize anything. Instead, it decompresses them into mipmap-less 32-bit RGBA. And while these indeed no longer produce a crash, they occupy a crapton of VRAM. It's better to actually fix the textures on your own (AI upscale + resize worked for me).

As for the difference between BC5 and BC7 - it's night and day. Especially with full-colour gradients and normals.

BC7 results in far more accurate colours and texture shape overall (far less blocky textures, if garbage data like empty (pure #ffffff white) alpha channel is removed before the encoding). The only catch is you're not supposed to use "Fast" encoding method - it will create ugly blocky textures, just like the old DXT1-DXT5 (aka BC5).

The difference in encoding time between "Fast" and "Full" is astonishing and there is a reason for that - it tries different types of block encoding for each image segment, until it reaches the maximum possible likeness to the original.

You can use BC7 on 2048x2048 textures and most of the time they'll look as decent, if not better than BC5 at 4096x4096 with little to no colour banding. That is, assuming the original source wasn't already encoded with other inferior formats like DXT1 (in which case the actual texture data is already damaged beyond repair).

Edited by MrChow
  • 1 month later...