Is it possible to make a bed with an animated sprite as cover?

Me and Onionknighto are working on adding more sprites to the tentacle mod he / she put together with my open-source assets. Since the mod was released, it's spurred my creativity enough to get back to making sprites, and I've since made new variations and fixed up a few of the old ones I weren't happy with.

One thing I've always wanted to do though, was to have a tentacle bed that would fuck the player while they 'slept'. The problem here though, is that in order for that to work, the cover needs to be animated (ideally I want to animate the background sprite of the bed as well, but it's not a requirement) and I've not yet seen anyone do an animated cover for a bed or chair.

Here are the assets I've made so far:

Background sprite:

bedbackground.png.410eaad7bb35e332e4a5fde9923ba6ba.png

Cover sprite (only two frames, just to test if it works before I start on the final product, Final version will also have a lot of additional moving tentacles)

bedsprite.png.28b7ea50fa19fa8a82c5d57cd2432267.png

Test animation:

bedanim.gif.1cab63d69a5edf15709e6ad100971874.gif

Player sprite (It's the 4'th idle stance)

bedcharactersprite.png.141c2c1d597a8ce0c11febf5a42a59e6.png

Can anyone give us a clue whether or not this is even possible to do?

i think that could be possible to make because actually there are mods like lustbound that has sextoys... but i never seen someone making beds in that way

the most probably thing is that you would need to do, is the sprites for the position wheel

(sorry if i misspell some words im from argentina)

On 4/14/2021 at 4:27 PM, Lamadi said:

Can anyone give us a clue whether or not this is even possible to do?

Anything is possible with enough spaghetti.

That said, to make something like this, i've tried to do so without writing a animation file, and i could not. Starbound does not pass the frame-data of the bed image, to it's cover image by default. Adding "<frames>" to the image path just made the game look for a frame called "<frames>". Starbound's animator can do a lot of stuff, but making it a interactable/loungeable that will obey this... might be hard. Probably gonna have to write your own bed-animation-controller for something like that.

My attempt at implementing it is attached.

Tentabed.rar

Thanks for trying. I'm not sure I fully understood everything you said. Is it possible to animate the base bed, but not the cover itself? If that be the case, then I may be able to work around this limitation though it won't be as good as what I initially envisioned.

EDIT:

Is it possible to have the sleeping area of the bed be partially embedded into the ground? As in, have the player be partially or fully covered by the foreground blocks?

2 hours ago, Lamadi said:

Thanks for trying. I'm not sure I fully understood everything you said. Is it possible to animate the base bed, but not the cover itself? If that be the case, then I may be able to work around this limitation though it won't be as good as what I initially envisioned.

EDIT:

Is it possible to have the sleeping area of the bed be partially embedded into the ground? As in, have the player be partially or fully covered by the foreground blocks?

Yes to all your statements, by default, without much coding, you can move where the player is "in the bed", animated the bed itself but not the cover, and also the image of the bed can be offset in any direction aswell (inside the floor, floating above the ground, etc)

And all i meant to say is, unless you get someone who is really good at reading and writing Starbound animation files, or learn the magic of them yourself, there's not much you can do. I've even included a little script that is an animator, for objects, but it'll only run properly if the object already has a animation file. For examples, look at the wired doors, and torches, as they both have plenty of animations.