FO4 crashing after Steam update

This morning (about 4 hours ago), I was running Fallout 4 with no problems at all.

Now, after another Steam update (there was one last night, too), Fallout 4 crashes once it gets past the Bethesda splash.  I might hear one second of the main menu music before it crashes, but that's it.

Is anyone else running into this issue?

1 hour ago, VenomousOuroboros said:

This morning (about 4 hours ago), I was running Fallout 4 with no problems at all.

Now, after another Steam update (there was one last night, too), Fallout 4 crashes once it gets past the Bethesda splash.  I might hear one second of the main menu music before it crashes, but that's it.

Is anyone else running into this issue?

I've just tested it both in online and offline and it's working fine here.

Also, there has not been a FO4 update either so I'm really not sure what is causing your problem, but crashing after the intro screen usually indicates a missing master/dependency in your modlist, so check there in case something has accidentality been deactivated or corrupted.

@Slorm I ran LOOT and it re-sorted the list, but it didn't stop it from crashing.

Since the only thing that changed between it working and not working is a Steam software update (not even Fallout 4 itself, which has been 1.10.163.0 this whole time), I can only imagine that is what's causing this.  Is there a way to roll that back via the Steam Console?

6 minutes ago, VenomousOuroboros said:

@Slorm I ran LOOT and it re-sorted the list, but it didn't stop it from crashing.

Since the only thing that changed between it working and not working is a Steam software update (not even Fallout 4 itself, which has been 1.10.163.0 this whole time), I can only imagine that is what's causing this.  Is there a way to roll that back via the Steam Console?

I've had a quick dig around and I don't believe you can, I would imagine Steam would reinstall it anyway.

I did see something you can add to the startup command to stop it updating but it was very old and I have no idea it would work now. This is from an 2018 post and refers to the old UI

"Use the launch parameters -nochatui & -nofriendsui in the target line of Steam's shortcut"

One thing worth checking, if you use the Steam overlay, try turning it off and see if that helps, as these crappy overlays can cause problems

Had the same updates, no issues here so far. No offense meant, did you try a restart?  I think a couple of months ago I had a similar issue, and after a long painful wtf moment, to put it this way, simply restarting did the trick.

Other than that you could only have Steam check your local files and run Steam in offline mode afterwards.

HTH.