Recolors in TSRW

Where can I find a tutorial on recoloring clothing? This is for my pantyhose project.

This issue I am having is with the base color. For example, in TSRW, when I created my object, I used the afAccessoryStockings_silkFull texture. While stumbling around in the program, I decided to remove the 5 copies of the base texture, as I did not want a pattern applied to my file.

I got the desired result, although in the wrong shade of the base color (beige/brown). Fortunately, the color wheel works as desired.

What I am trying to do is change the base color/shade. If I can do that, I can then create copies of the texture in standard pantyhose colors (coffee/suntan/nude/black/grey/white). Problem is, I don't understand/see where I can change the base color.

Can you guys help?

On 12/30/2020 at 9:08 AM, erinc7214 said:

Can you guys help?

Again, as you use paint.net, I must hope things are similar to GIMP that what I write will help...

Basic neutral using GIMP can be found by making a new layer on top of your work layer. Then, make a square and fill it with gray. Next, I use brightness/ contrast. Do not touch brightness, but contrast, slide fully left... zero contrast. THAT should be the neutral gray.

Now, switch to your work layer. Again in brightness/ contrast, but this time, adjust the brightness, lighter or darker so your pantyhose are the same shade of gray.

This neutral tone allows for all colors to be applied. Things like the waistband can be a little darker, as well as less see through to help with separating it from the hose.

Don't reduce contrast on your work layer, as that will simply make everything a solid washed out appearance with no detail.

Eventually, you will better learn to create shading effects. JoshQ and others understand "baking" them in Blender. I still create shading and lighting effects in layers using GIMP, as I have not understood using Blender so well.

More info: I just now thought of this... To see your pantyhose, first make them as a bottom. You will use the same multiplier, mask, specular. Use af bottom briefs, as they have a blank normal map, and won't create a ghost texture on your work. As a bottom, you can now see the colors and not have to guess.

This is where it is a slight PITA, but I have done this, and if someone knows a better way, please...

Keep the pantyhose as bottom open, and now open the file for the pantyhose as accessory next to it. On bottom, click edit color. You see the color panel, and numbers below the color swatch. Those numbers are the level of red, green, blue in that color.

Now, open the same color edit on the pantyhose work. Next to the numbers click the down arrow and you see a new color panel and the numbers at the bottom R, G, B and A for the alpha channel. You will not need to worry about alpha. You can directly edit those numbers! Not necessary to try to move the color cursor to try to match. Just replace those numbers with the numbers shown on the bottom briefs work, and the pantyhose will be the exact same color, even though you can not see them as an accessory overlay in TSRW.

On 12/30/2020 at 12:54 PM, LadySmoks said:

adjust the brightness, lighter or darker so your pantyhose are the same shade of gray

An alternative is to ‘desaturate’ the image that will convert everything to gray then you can reduce or increase the ‘lightness’ to make it closer to neutral gray without washing up the texture too much. On the example below I reduce it because it was too bright and that messes the color wheel.

paintnet_desaturate.jpg

On pain net you can find it under the 'Adjustments' menu, gimp should have something similar.

11 hours ago, JoshQ said:

An alternative is to ‘desaturate’

Yes. I had told of this in a PM. Lightness seems very similar to the brightness setting. Have you noticed a difference in using each? As I have not. I have used both, usually lightness when I am also using the saturation setting. Also, levels and curves. Much to learn!!!

This is what I was meaning to find the neutral gray...

neutral.PNG.a83de606923eeea9b4825e77501ffa50.PNG

The multiplier is usually already desaturated to shades of gray. But perhaps a good idea to desaturate each time you open it. I also keep 2 copies of my multipliers. One is uncompressed and one is DXT5 that I use in the package. I have also had problems with garments being too light or too dark on the TSRW color wheel and came up with this to find the neutral gray. I'm sure someone else already has figured to do this. ))) But, I open my multiplier, then create a new layer above, and make a square, fill with any gray, then set contrast fully to left, or 0 contrast. Now I see what part of my texture is lighter, neutral and darker. And I can use brightness... or lightness setting to adjust my multiplier.