Frosferes

SMP ragdoll constraint questions

I read somewhere that HDT SMP supports conetwist/ragdoll constraints on top of the typical generic and stiff-spring options. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how to set up these parameters, since the documentation for the addon is practically non-existent (at least in English).

Additionally, is it possible to export SMP constraint data from a modelling program that supports bullet physics (such as Blender)?

10 hours ago, Frosferes said:

I read somewhere that HDT SMP supports conetwist/ragdoll constraints on top of the typical generic and stiff-spring options. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how to set up these parameters, since the documentation for the addon is practically non-existent (at least in English).

Additionally, is it possible to export SMP constraint data from a modelling program that supports bullet physics (such as Blender)?

The documentation for SMP is very poor. The XML parser recognizes these tags with the folowing ranges (this is from disassembled DLL for LE, but source code for SE confirms those should be correct):

<conetwist-constraint-default>
    <limitX>			//  float 0..<1.0
    <limitY>			//  float 0..<1.0
    <limitZ>			//  float 0..<1.0
    <twistLimit>		//  float 0..<1.0
    <twistSpan>			//  float 0..<1.0
    <planeLimit>		//  float 0..<1.0
    <coneLimit>			//  float 0..<1.0
    <swingSpan1>		//  float 0..<1.0
    <swingSpan2>		//  float 0..<1.0
    <biasFactor>		// float 0..<2.0                                
    <relaxationFactor>	// float 0..<2.0  
    <limitSoftness>		// float 0..<2.0  
    <angularonly>		// TRUE / FALSE
</conetwist-constraint-default>

My game (LE) was crashing when I tested those. The config was parsed, no errors, but the game crashed when i equipped the mesh with XML containing conetwist definitions. Might have been something on my side, I had no interest to dig into it any more.

I believe you should be able to achieve the same (or very simmilar) results using generic constraint.

I do not think there is a tool for auto generating SMP XMLs (like autopilot for PE).

1 hour ago, OrrieL said:

The documentation for SMP is very poor. The XML parser recognizes these tags with the folowing ranges (this is from disassembled DLL for LE, but source code for SE confirms those should be correct):

<conetwist-constraint-default>
    <limitX>			//  float 0..<1.0
    <limitY>			//  float 0..<1.0
    <limitZ>			//  float 0..<1.0
    <twistLimit>		//  float 0..<1.0
    <twistSpan>			//  float 0..<1.0
    <planeLimit>		//  float 0..<1.0
    <coneLimit>			//  float 0..<1.0
    <swingSpan1>		//  float 0..<1.0
    <swingSpan2>		//  float 0..<1.0
    <biasFactor>		// float 0..<2.0                                
    <relaxationFactor>	// float 0..<2.0  
    <limitSoftness>		// float 0..<2.0  
    <angularonly>		// TRUE / FALSE
</conetwist-constraint-default>

My game (LE) was crashing when I tested those. The config was parsed, no errors, but the game crashed when i equipped the mesh with XML containing conetwist definitions. Might have been something on my side, I had no interest to dig into it any more.

I believe you should be able to achieve the same (or very simmilar) results using generic constraint.

I do not think there is a tool for auto generating SMP XMLs (like autopilot for PE).

Thank you very much! I'll have a tinker around with this and see if I can get it to work. I'm using SE so maybe that'll make a difference *shrug*.

Out of curiosity, do you know if there's been any community attempt to compile the information learnt about SMP that wasn't provided by Hydrogen? Or is he even still available for outreach on this matter?

Also I'm not looking for an auto generating tool like autopilot. I'm just curious if, since SMP is based on bullet physics, it's possible to import a skinned mesh into software like blender which supports that physics system, then define, test and export SMP constraints to xml format; in the same way you'd export PE xmls from 3ds Max using havok content tools. This might be a stretch but I thought it was worth the ask since that's how I'm used to working with PE.

Thanks for your reply

21 hours ago, Frosferes said:

Out of curiosity, do you know if there's been any community attempt to compile the information learnt about SMP that wasn't provided by Hydrogen? Or is he even still available for outreach on this matter?

Also I'm not looking for an auto generating tool like autopilot. I'm just curious if, since SMP is based on bullet physics, it's possible to import a skinned mesh into software like blender which supports that physics system, then define, test and export SMP constraints to xml format; in the same way you'd export PE xmls from 3ds Max using havok content tools. This might be a stretch but I thought it was worth the ask since that's how I'm used to working with PE.

I think the most complete guide is on the NEXUS, although you wont be able to find anything about contwist constraint there.

As for the tools, I believe thats the main reason why SMP never really replaced PE in LE even though it is far more superior. The havok tools made it so easy to implement. It would be really great to have such tools, but I think there is not enough iniciative to make them as creating SMP XMLs is fairly simple compared to PE.

2 hours ago, OrrieL said:

As for the tools, I believe thats the main reason why SMP never really replaced PE in LE even though it is far more superior. The havok tools made it so easy to implement. It would be really great to have such tools, but I think there is not enough iniciative to make them as creating SMP XMLs is fairly simple compared to PE.

I see. If I was any good at software modding I'd make it myself but alas. It's very frustrating to me that seemingly the first thing Microsoft did after aquiring Havok was to nix content tools for modders, the greedy bastards. If the tools were available I'd have no problem making the full jump to SMP, but I suppose we get what we're given.

Is the decompiling of the dll file ongoing or has that concluded now?