Need help making edits to vanilla quest dialogues

Hi I'm thinking about making a mod that adds a few perks to the game. There a few points in the vanilla game that I would like have these perks appear in dialogue and offer alternate solutions for quests like the other perks, special, or skills.

I'm fairly new to using the GECK, but I am able to directly change the vanilla quests to add these options. The reason I am asking for help is mostly because I know directly editing the vanilla quest's dialogue is a bad idea due to it causing incompatibilities with other plug ins that edit the same NPC/quest. I also know that you can use scripts to add topics whenever tagging "Top-Level" isn't good enough.

What I need help with is:

1. How would I go about adding topics via scripts in the first place

2. How would I add my own topics (with scripts) after choosing a vanilla topic (let's use the line where you lie to Marjorie about being a cannibal from "Beyond the Beef" as an example. Say I wanted to have the option to apologize for lying after saying the lie, how would I add that topic using only a script.)

3. Can I/How do I add more choices to existing choice branches (Example, the white glove food vendor in the gourmand will give two choices after the greeting, either "goodbye" or "let me see what you have". I want to add a third choice to that with a script, so I don't have compatibility issues with any other mods that edit that NPC's dialogue.)

38 minutes ago, failmuseum said:

I thought it was. Am I mistaken about that?

I know how to execute code in certain vanilla topics using events, or trigger some entirely new dialogue tree, but not specifically adding topics or more choices to vanilla via script. So if it is doable, it would be pretty interesting also for me to learn about it. Where did you learn about it? (referring to "I also know that you can use scripts to add topics whenever tagging "Top-Level" isn't good enough")

Well it came from finding out about the function "AddTopic", I know it could be used for the small scripts that can be used when a topic/choice is selected in existing dialogue (Example: the script that sets the white glove society honorary membership to 1 when speaking to Marjorie with high strip fame), but I guess I made a logic leap that there was a function for if a specific topic was chosen it would activate a script.

To make it more clear I thought something like this exists:

a script to begin on either gamemode or if a specific npc was talking, then a condition to check for X (the topic/choice, the perk I have, and which NPC is speaking), then it would add a topic/choice if the conditions were met.

I figured that there had to be a reason that function exists due to it be fairly redundant otherwise. I guess I shouldn't have said "know".

Now that you mentioned it, I remembered about this vanilla function. I took a look to where it was used in vanilla, it's few specific cases. I can't say anything about it, it would require me some test to really understand how it works. For example, it admits the name of the topic as parameter, so I would assume that if it's used inside a quest script (i.e. the gamemode you mention) then it will appear as a top level to that npc.