Installing the game in Program Files?

Hi all,

Just a quick question I have - why is it apparently better to have Oblivion installed outside of Program Files? I've seen a few people saying it doesn't matter, others saying it's vital so I'm a bit unclear on the matter. Is it a question of not installing the mods you use into PF?

The program files directory is protected by Windows and this will cause many mods not to function correctly.  Those that say it doesn't matter are not correct with regards to Oblivion and its mods.  This is a known deal.  Other games may or may not have the same issues.

As gregathit stated, anywhere else you prefer.

However, I like to keep it close to the root if possible.  C:/Steam/etc. Then just install the games there. If you have a second drive  D:/Steam and then have the games installed there.  I have mine installed on a dedicated SSD  (drive E:/Steam)  and install all my games there.

An added benifit at least IMO, is I can backup the entire drive etc easier than having it into some other files. It is easier to find as well.

Your question is a good one. Too  many times people end up with strange issues and problems only to find out they should move the game which for some is a pain in the ass as they have to delete it then re-download it and some don't have fast internet. ;)

Thanks, I don't have a second drive but C:/Steam would certainly be better organisationally for me. Luckily I have a decent internet speed!

Would it work if I made a filepath for the usual Steam path through to steamapps/common/Oblivion and then moved the Obl files into there? I only ask because moving steam itself means deleting and reinstalling all of my games and that would come out to probably somewhere around 8-900 GB all told.

Alternatively would moving Steam itself to that location work? I'm reluctant to try because I feel like it would break if I just suddenly have it somewhere else.

And if you ever wants to  player Lovers/LAPF  ( the Oblivion sex Mod )  and  want nude bodies, bouncing breasts,  . . .

Want to use a Modmanager ( never use NexusMM  or Vortex  for Oblivion )

And want the right Load order for your Mods ( and maybe think you can use LOOT for Oblivion )

read  https://www.loverslab.com/topic/36443-oblivion-install-gametoolsbodiesbbb-load-order-sorting-espesm-cleaning-cs-cse-body-stretching/

I have read it, but it describes moving to a new drive, not a different place on the C drive. I tried making a C/Steam path, but it just says there's already a steam installation on this drive, so Steam will automatically multiple installs in one folder. Problem being the folder is in Program Files. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and move my whole Steam installation and library.

You can actually.  What you need to do is install a game (any game - preferably a game you don't like and that is small) via steam to a new location.  You can create 2nd steam location via installation menu when you install a game.  Once you have done this then you will have a new option "move install folder" under the properties and "local files" tab.  You won't be able to do this without that 2nd steam folder.

Ok, I have things installed properly and Ive played through the sewers to confirm the game works, but my mods don't. OBSE, the Unofficial patches, Blockhead, Character Creation Overhaul, Custom Class Descriptions and the expanded skills descriptions all work, but nothing else. DarnUI, female class portraits, and every single texture pack I've installed don't work. I've checked the modding guides, even tried MO1 (with and without the Script Extender workaround) but I can't get them to work. I can only see two potential issues, neither of which I can figure out. 

First, the guide for archive invalidation says to get rid of the invalidation.txt file, but i can't find any such file. The closest i could find was a line in the .ini that pointed to it, which seems to make no difference.

The second is that the guide says the ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated.bsa should be at the very top of the Archives tab in MO, in black and checked while everything else is greyed out. It is black but I can't move it to the top of the tab, which I wonder might be my problem.

To be honest, I've been trying to get this all working for hours and I'm at my wits end. Please, does anybody have any suggestions? 

archive invalidate via Bsa Redirection:

You can use the OBSE plugin   SkyBSA .   Put the dll file in  data\OBSE\Plugins and you are done.

And you can  do the it manually

You need a empty bsa ( can have the name  ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa  )

You put the bsa in your data folder.

Then open the Oblivion ini (   the  Oblibion  ini in     .... \My Games\Oblivion)   !     Not the Oblivion_default.ini in your game  folder  )

In the ini you change the line

sArchiveList= Oblivion - Meshes.bsa, Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa, Oblivion - Sounds.bsa, Oblivion - Voices1.bsa, Oblivion - Voices2.bsa, Oblivion - Misc.bsa

to

sArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa, Oblivion - Meshes.bsa, Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa, Oblivion - Sounds.bsa, Oblivion - Voices1.bsa, Oblivion - Voices2.bsa, Oblivion - Misc.bsa

Or the name of your empty bsa

-------------------

Was all  in the Link I posted !!!  READ  IT

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/36443-oblivion-install-gametoolsbodiesbbb-load-order-sorting-espesm-cleaning-cs-cse-body-stretching/?tab=comments#comment-915257

Well. This is embarrassing. Turns out I had the SkyBSA in data/OBSE rather than data/OBSE/plugins.

Now I have yet another issue! Ugh.

The game loaded fine when I tested it at first, but now that I've tried to get load order in the right order I'm getting a CTD error. Apparently the Battlehorn Castle unofficial patch is missing the Battlehorn Castle esp, even though they are both present and in the correct load order. Just to really confuse things, the same error appears even when I uncheck the DLC unofficial patch mod.

Sorry, should have clarified - the CTD is on launching the game, not save load. It's like a missing master file, except the file isn't missing in the game folder or in MO2.

battlehornesp.png

Edit - I have tried verifying the game files in Steam, everything came up fine. I understand what a master esp error means, but I truly don't see how it's missing here.

modlist.txt plugins.txt

I don't see  a mistake in the load order.  

DLCBattlehornCastle - Unofficial Patch.esp is in right place and all the masters files . DLCBattlehornCastle.esp, Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp, Oblivion.esm.

All masters activated?

Without DLCBattlehornCastle.esp and the Unofficial Patch.esp the game works ?

Any Mods that need OBSE , and have you OBSE ?

Sorry, don't know what's wrong.

As a reminder:

DLCThievesDen - Unofficial Patch - SSSB.esp    Only for new game. Don't use for existing game ( start new game, don't use a save )