Installing the game in Program Files?

I'm having trouble starting the game even unmodded actually, at least I think. It's difficult to tell if the mods aren't loading since the hook into MO seems a bit odd, but I think I've launched vanilla and it still crashes, so a reinstall of the game might be the way to go.

At any rate, both MO1 and MO2 don't work. MO2 crashes, and MO1 doesn't load the OBSE plugins still for some reason. I did notice that MO2 shows a different number each time I launch the game in that 'MO is locked' screen. The one that says "Mod Organizer is locked while the application is running    Oblivion.exe (XXXXX)". The id number where I've written XXXXX is different every time I launch the exe (the most recent numbers were 7640 and 14872) - sometimes its five digits, sometimes four. Is this important? I don't know what the numbers indicate.

Other than that, yeah, just as confused as you. Think I might resort to a full nuke and reinstall from the top, hopefully that will fix whatever's going on with the Battlehorn masters.

Aside from that though, thanks for mentioning about the Thieves Den esp! I didn't know that.

The Thieves Den esp patch esp: If you use BOSS it tells you what, when and how to use Mods. And if you should clean a Mod.

-----------------

I do not use MO. I use Oblivion Modmanager or installl manually. So I don't know about the ID numbers.

Hope your game is not in C : / program files x86 ! Then many tools did not work right ( OBSE, Pluggy, archive invalidate , .... )  Maybe MO doesn't work either.

Game never in  C : / program files x86

Never use Nexus Modmanager or Vortex for Oblivion.  Use OBMM or TESMM

Never use LOOT for Oblivion.  Use BOSS

See https://www.loverslab.com/topic/36443-oblivion-install-gametoolsbodiesbbb-load-order-sorting-espesm-cleaning-cs-cse-body-stretching/

Read Basics tools you need:    in the first spoiler.   Steam and Mod Organizer

Or use my guide and install Oblivion without MO

Just for the sake of anyone else who has this problem, it seems to be working fine in MO2 after deleting the esp and bsa files for Battlehorn Castle, then validating the game files in Steam to make them redownload. I won't pretend to understand it, but (hopefully not jinxing it here) it seems to working fine. Go figure, huh?