IGNORED

Good guides for creating followers in SSE?

I've been bashing my head against my keyboard for the last day or so trying to get this worked out. Almost all the guides I've seen online are either for Oldrim, or heavily rely on utilities that can no longer be obtained anywhere. I've worked out how to create a follower esp in Creation Kit and she works alright, but the problem is that I can't find any up-to-date guides on how to get her to utilize the cosmetic mods I used to create her. I'm using CBBE with CBP physics, KS hair, a heterochromia eyes mod and one or two makeup/warpaint mod. I'm also using Mod Organizer. If anyone can give me any guidance, it'd be appreciated!

I recently asked sleepy tiger eyes a similar question although I would prefer to make a follower in oldrim as my pc runs it better and I have fewer isssues with oldrim. There was a modder name of skyla who made a few youtube videos who had a way with tatoos on her characters. However I presume that was in oldrim and may not help you.

Try this, it's the one i used when i was making myself a few followers...

Edit: download and extract this and click on the html file.

Creating Standalone NPC's.7z

2nd edit: found the link for the guide i attached so i'll leave the link too (i know it's an old guide and posted on LE nexus but the info in it is still relevant).

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25673

3rd edit: added an image preview of the guide's main menu in case you're curious but don't want to download it yet.

Spoiler

1.png.c9dd53f53311ac20d7c277f658eb926c.png

6 hours ago, PraedythXVI said:

Try this, it's the one i used when i was making myself a few followers...

Edit: download and extract this and click on the html file.

Creating Standalone NPC's.7z 6.73 MB · 3 downloads

2nd edit: found the link for the guide i attached so i'll leave the link too (i know it's an old guide and posted on LE nexus but the info in it is still relevant).

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25673

3rd edit: added an image preview of the guide's main menu in case you're curious but don't want to download it yet.

Hide contents

1.png.c9dd53f53311ac20d7c277f658eb926c.png

Currently stuck on page 2 of this guide, I have no idea how to find out what textures/meshes are required and where Mod Organizer would place them all.

5 hours ago, Divinityfan1139 said:

Currently stuck on page 2 of this guide, I have no idea how to find out what textures/meshes are required and where Mod Organizer would place them all.

you need the meshes you're going to use for your follower... it's obvious you're not going to add a tail mesh and texture if the follower your making isn't going to have one.

the basics for a follower is: head/body/feet/hand meshes and textures, also every part in the head meaning eyes/mouth and hair.

edit: "and where Mod Organizer would place them all." just follow the same file structure as any other mod, meshes go in the mesh folder etc.

2nd edit: for the head, don't bother making it in the CK, make it using racemenu and export it, when you're done with the CK use Nifmerge to have the facegen generated by the CK take on the appearance of the one you made in racemenu.

(if the head you made in racemenu has for example: a set of horns, you will have to add them in the CK and make sure the head generated by the CK is using those horns as well.

Nifmerge will only fuse the parts that are present in both facegen's it will not for instance add the horns i mentioned unless they are added to the CK too.)

The main use of nifmerge is to give the follower the facial appearance you want, the hair/horns etc needs to be done in the CK.)

If my explanation isn't clear enough, i'll also leave someone else's comment about how to proceed with heads:

Spoiler

What you're going to want to do is apply the warpaint in Racemenu, then export the head that you made using the feature in the Sculpt tab. That will give you a .dds file (texture) and a .nif file (mesh) for their head. When building your NPC in CK, don't worry about their actual appearance in CK because it's going to change. Just make sure that the assets used (hair, eyes, brows, etc) are all present and accounted for in your mod. After you've set up your NPC to your liking, hit CTRL+F4 to generate the face mesh and the face texture.

After using Nifmerge to merge the CK head mesh and the Racemenu mesh, navigate to the Facegen folder that has the Facegen texture. Replace it with the .dds file that Racemenu generated by copypasting it into the Facegen folder, then renaming it and deleting the original. This will apply the exact texture you created (including warpaint, makeup, and custom face textures) to your actor's head.

Hope that's all you needed.