HOW TO UPDATE SKYRIM? WTF???

ok i'm new to the skyrim installing and updating, i usually don't go for Steam information or Steam supported Games as they are set up for those that have an active internet connection and mine is off till my house is sold

So with that said i have purchased this game cause i have seen the new mods and they deffinantly look better then that of anything on Oblivion

how ever i have run into several issues since my purchase of the game and First Install :

first issue is ... My game is a legitimate copy purchased at Wall mart and with genuin activation key within the steam community

however after first install and running of the game it worked for about 3 days no problems and no mods installed:

~now the game won't run~ steam says (ERROR) INVALID GAME KEY..............eRR wtf???

SO I BROUHT MY PC DOWN TO WORK AND REINSTALLED SKYRIM....now it wont update on Steam past 1.3 however i am again able to play it again but being i am at work i can't play here so i'll hafta go home and try it out again

my ? is where can i obtain the 1.8 patch at, i have checked wiki i have checked Bethesda i have checked steam all of them talk of a BETA patch that requires logging into steam and signing up for the Beta team, Really is this what Bethesda has come to, Letting someone else manage and make patches for their Games? if this is starting to sound like Gripe torwards them and what appears to be their Lame efforts to offer support for their Consumers then i guess thats what this is... Personally i am appauled at their Product , i Paid $75 for their game and yet I can't run it without Steam support..(and yes i see on the package STEAM Account required for activation of game and active internet account )  now it doesnt state that you need to be in Steam online while playing the Game nor that Steam is needed after the intial install ......... which is wh y i opted to purchase the game thinking that i only needed Steam for initial setup and to verify my User agreement and proof of key activation

.. And yes i have been through Steam support and have found no usefull information ... I have been dealing with this issue for nearly 2 months now, and total game time has been 4 days .... my Stress level on this episode is gone now, I am personally thinking of sending this in as a "Letter to the Editor" at the local papers and news rooms just so that i can get some accountability, No i am not a Minor nor am i a Die Hard Gamer, I do however Build Gaming PC's for a living and i Do have some Concept of how a Game should run and how to modify them to make them more appealing, What i am not versed in , is this concept of buying a liscence and a right to utilize a game developers software , and then to use an outsourced company and their utility in order to play the game I spent my hard earned money on in the first place.... Its almost criminal

PLEASE for the love of GOD can anyone help me !!!!!!!!!!!!

You get the patch from steam.  There is no other way apart from piracy.

You sound like a minor with your poor communication skills and your threats of tantrums because you do not like steam.

It is easy to install and play Skyrim.  First you install steam, setup an account, install Skyrim, let it patch and then play.  There are NO other steps involved.

Guest Lady Luck

Quick solution to patch skyrim on steam.

- install steam

- activate the product 

- verify integrity cache 

-  usually when you play  the game will automatically patch for you  u don't have to do anything

- when you done patching next time reinstalling the game the file will go directly to your data folder without downloading it again.

if you bought physical copy return the disc and complain the cd key didn't work to the  management of that place, we don't give out cd key here  and it's illegal to  talk about piracy.

.. And yes i have been through Steam support and have found no useful
information ... I have been dealing with this issue for nearly 2 months
now, and total game time has been 4 days .... my Stress level on this
episode is gone now, I am personally thinking of sending this in as a
"Letter to the Editor" at the local papers and news rooms just so that i
can get some accountability, No i am not a Minor nor am i a Die Hard
Gamer, I do however Build Gaming PC's for a living and i Do have some
Concept of how a Game should run and how to modify them to make them
more appealing, What i am not versed in , is this concept of buying a
license and a right to utilize a game developers software , and then to
use an outsourced company and their utility in order to play the game I
spent my hard earned money on in the first place.... Its almost
criminal

^,,,lol this one lost me , so you saying that bethesda is criminal " You bought a copy and didn't ask if the key is valid or not ,  next time when buying product  ask , sometime people returned used copy and you can't  get valid key"

You get the patch from steam.  There is no other way apart from piracy.

You sound like a minor with your poor communication skills and your threats of tantrums because you do not like steam.

It is easy to install and play Skyrim.  First you install steam, setup an account, install Skyrim, let it patch and then play.  There are NO other steps involved.

actually you seem to be of a Minor with your condemning / condesending of others rather then trying to help the person out of their agression and into a positive state of mind ... Thank you for your response though but let me clear a few things up for you okiedokie

when I purchase a game for $75 and take it home there is no reason why it should not function the way it is intended to function straight from the package , am i wrong in that ? no i don't think so... When i Stated that i had it working great for 2 days that was the amount of game time i have had with it Period in 4 months , if this was one of my 4 $700 GPU's and if it had these issues i'd be returning them asap for any issues so why sould the software be any different

Ok let me clear a few things up ... First off I'm not a minor, I never said i have a degree in Literacy or a Major in English...  I figured that would be "overlooked" here seeing as in 90% of the Mods made for this game are not in english ...

Second off i don't need directions on installing Steam... I have over 2Tb's worth of Games downloaded and hosted for steam. my problem isnt with Steam it is with getting the updates for Skyrim in a timely manner, Since i have access to a 60mb government dedicated FO connection i shouldn't have the issues i am having,

Its not my PC

its not a connection issue

its not corrupted files

its not a bogus or hacked copy of Skyrim

its the information available to us NEW TO SKYRIM players that are having the issues, if you had even an inkling of an idea of what i am speaking of , then you would of understood my dillema from the first post. you have in LL here the please check your post before posting duplicated issues , but in dealing with my issue there are some posts topping 200 pages ....forgive me i am looking for a quick fix to the issue not a long drawn out ordeal on who may have or who might have a fix and not who these people are or if they are even a reliable source of information in dealing with this issue. in short there is alot of useless information out there and so i brought my ? here to those that know what the hell they are doing versus those that are randomly putting crap out there on the internet,

and to the guy with the ww.piratebay reply......... You my freind are a perfect example of my above statement....if i sound perturbed then you get an A+ for understanding my issue

as for the post "^,,,lol this one lost me , so you saying that bethesda is criminal " You

bought a copy and didn't ask if the key is valid or not ,  next time

when buying product  ask , sometime people returned used copy and you

can't  get valid key"

do you have any idea of the TOS and legalalities of software developers and the licencing that goes into packaging and selling of said software, No bethesda is not to blame on this issue but their marketing of taking the game rights out of their Consumers and putting it into a third party source is and should be their responsibility yet they are passing the buck... and leaving it to Steam to moderate their short commings, if you knew the gaming industry like i know it you would be alil put off by the use of a third party scource...especially one like that os Steam. do any of you keep up on the stock market ? if not you should go back about 10 years when steam was first introduced...their stock has been tapering off which means if the ecomoy faulters anywhere between now and the next 4 years you could be looking at a loss of your software titles ... don't believe me check it out, they have been sueing many software companies out there ...that are responsible for about a 4th of the games on the market out there...and many have pulled their lines from steam because of their closing their doors to public on their accesibility to the games that they are distributing... basically put, you think what i am griping about is over the top...try this on for size.... Steam wants you to give up on the Gaming industries EULA agreement  and TOS of the gaming industries Legal standings for theirs, if you dont agree then you loose your gaming privelages to other mfg. software....now tell me you wouldn't have a gripe with that... here is a brief example of what i am speaking of

"

In addition to the attempted block on class-action suits -

remember, some American states are questioning the legality of these

kind of clauses - Valve is also trying to put a stop to users launching

individual lawsuits against the company, instead introducing "a new

required process whereby we agree to use arbitration or small claims

court to resolve the dispute."

This sucks. Why? You normally

can't appeal the findings of a private arbitration hearing, nor is there

an independent or public means of reviewing an arbitrator's decisions.

Such hearings are also designed to be conducted privately, out of the

public eye.

The move ensures that even if Valve screws something

up, or something terrible happens to Steam and/or your games collection,

any compensation or dispute will be handled on their terms, not those

of a court and jury...

.. private licencing and user rights to company TOS are thrown out over their own licencing agreements...think about it people....you spend your money on games that write and utilize their software  and we the consumers get dumped on... while they sit back and collect our money...

Valve or Steam which ever way you want to look at it, is trying to Supercede their TOS by throwing out the game developers TOS.

now i'm not fighting them... but I am keeping a close eye on them cause i try not to purchase games titles they promote over the ones that are built for the gamers and not someones pocket...  the more people turn a def ear to the topic the more MFG's they accumilate and when the shit does hit the fan, i seriously doubt many of you are gonna be Okie Dokie with it, especially when you realize your 2k and 3k gaming systems become nothing more then an over priced calculator .

... now maybe you have an issue with me...to me not a real big deal...i only post in the forums if i have a problem, otherwise i stay out of them ... but to me i dont have this issue with Battlefield 3/ i dont have this issue with Half life nor with Mafia 2, nor Eurotrucker, nor with L4D nor with TF2 only with Skyrim

and before you go off on the "Great we got one of those guys in here topic...keep in mind in their "NEW  licencing agreement with VALVE software ... all of the moders here who put their time and effort into making these great mods for this game may be in for a short run if steam goes throught with their number 5 agreement on their new Proposed TOS  which reads as follows

""

5. THIRD PARTY CONTENT

In regard to all Subscriptions, Software, and related content that

are not authored by Valve, Valve acts merely as an intermediary service

provider. Valve does not screen such third party content available on

Steam or through other sources. Valve does not assume any responsibility

or liability for such third party content. Some third party

application Software is capable of being used by businesses for business

purposes - however, you may only acquire such Software via Steam for

private personal use.

C. NO GUARANTEES.

NEITHER VALVE NOR ITS AFFILIATES GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, ERROR-FREE,

VIRUS-FREE OR SECURE OPERATION AND ACCESS TO STEAM, THE SOFTWARE, YOUR

ACCOUNT AND/OR YOUR SUBSCRIPTIONS(S) OR ANY INFORMATION AVAILABLE IN

CONNECTION THEREWITH.

too easy... you just need to enter to www.thepi...... im just kidding... should autoupdate itself if you run the game normally through steam. :/

sorry guy i wasn't trying to be a dick in my above post... and your right "it should autoupdate... and it did ..from 1.2.11 to 1.03.11 yet all the mods require 1.8 whcih is what i am having the issue with...I am on my second disk now Thats $155.49 for 2 identical games with 2 identical errors... so you tell me, and i dont even want to purchase either of the upgrades till i get the main install ....installed correctly would you?

I still fail to see how steam is at fault.  Maybe you should just play a different game as Skyrim works fine for everyone else.  If you are going to post aggresive posts and then have a tanty when someone treats you like a child then perhaps you need to look at your posts.

Personally I couldn't care less about American lawsuits, your country is already the laughing stock of the world when it comes to lawsuits so posting "Valve trying to stop people suing" comes across as "Wow, a company is sick of stupid lawsuits, how original".

Have you tried downloading the game?  If its not a connection issue then you could of bought the game on Steam.  Now, if you indeed have bought a steam retail copy then DOWNLOAD the game again, do NOT install from disc as perhaps the disc is dodgy.

I smell pirate.

before you make another Stupid crack about a so called PIRATE  notion here... maybe you oughtta check the pic i posted, if it were indeed a pirated copy it would not post nor show in icon mode in STEAM nor have the meta tags with it.... so all i can say is I smell B.S.

try learning before incriminating people you don't know.

on a side note keep in mind it wasn't us USA steam players that
initiated this Legality strike imposed on Steam it was the European
countries that started this Fiasco

better yet, here is another pic i just took and uploaded to my photohost which shows it as being installed now...now you can do one of 2 things here if you like, you can continue to call me a pirate if you like, but keep in mind there is no way in hell i could possible reinstall and play skyrim in 3 minutes from the last post to now

this is a constant hassle one minute it shows as not installed and the next its ready to play

i take my pc home and it shows as uninstalled wouldn't you be alil peeved ? none of the other games of mine do this , just SKYRIM

and yes i have 2 retail copies of the game and 1 downloaded version all are from purchasing LEGAL

PerfectexampleofSteamloosingthefriggenga

the point i am trying to make here is i need help with getting this issue stablized...instead i am getting the "Oh he is a hacker" reply and thats the first thing to set me off.... to the admin here if they are viewing this i want to apologize if i came off Krase ... truth is this is why i dont partake in forums... i moderate and am a part of over 400 gaming websites , i have had my fair share of making game mods and hosting gaming websites and managing servers both dedicated and remote

i have an issue with Steam because they dont offer the support that Bethesda USED to infact they leave the issues to their consumers to discover and fix rather then fix them , themselves and write appropiate working patches for them and testing on their own accordances ... i guess thats another thing i will hafta address as well in the future to come if Bethesda continues in this manner, ohh well what can you exspect from another Microsoft developers Co. that we all know and love as STEAM

Way to go Michael A.

i admit i was dick with that comment and im sorry. i really understand your situation, my steam stopped working suddenly by no apparent reason and i was unable to update nor download any mod from steamworkshop. i posted in the steam forum technical help and no one could help. i fixed it by removing everything related to steam and skyrim by unsintalling and deleted all reg files on regedit (i find instructions on the web, searcged everything related to steam and skyrim and erasing it manually - just be careful as its a high risk operation). once that was done, i reinstalled everything from zero and finally, after some tries, i was able to update the game and everything worked fine. i suggest you try the same, i really hope you can get this fixed, i know what is to waste money on a game wich isnt working and the frustation its a pain in the ass. when no one help you out everything became worse, i didnt wanted to be unrespectfull, so good luck and sorry again. regards.

ps. worst case scenario.... as far as i know, having the original game should suffice to get the update files from other source and install them manually when steam doesnt work. but do not listen to me (or read me), i suggest to make a little more research before trying this, as im not sure that is allowed. hope it helps.

i hear you on the Regedit issue i have however already been through that ordeal on install 6 and 7...the issue i have with STEAM is not the fact that they not only monitor your gaming activities but they also require open ports on your pc so that the game can be stat tracked, i can see it with Multiplayer based games but single player modes need not apply and is in direct violation of national EULA trade agreements and personal privacy acts, its not a bad platform when it works, its just a high security issue and is a Huge exploit no matter what O/S you run, me personally i built this kick box just for Skyrim and wanted to get into some HD graphics for the game and to shell out $655.72 minus s/h for the cost of the game 3x's and the pc components is alil hard to swallow ,

a few specs are Revo 500gb PCIE x16, Am3+ 3.0 Quadcore O/C'd to 4.1 water cooled, XFX 6990 watercooled , 8TB 4x2WD Black edition Sata 3.0/Executive HDD's 32gb 16gbx2 DDR3 2133mhz ram windows 7 Ultimate and a 1000Watt Toughpower psu...built it for Alil under $500 with my Coporate discounts all stuck into a mini itx platform .

i have the portability of a laptop with the performance and durability of a desktop, my issue is with the game support only... i dont see why my other platforms are stable 100% of the time and Skyrim is barely hitting 4% stability

if anyone has any info i would greatly appreciate it , i just however dont have the time to be fiddling around with this on a daily event , and would like to get some enjoyment out of the game before i make my move to my new digs

and to pollux I am truely sorry for my attitude on here , i've been running 18hour days 5 days a week + 2x8hr shifts on the weekends on here lately and i am on my last nerve so to speak . i know it isnt an excuse  and its not meant to be either , but working 3 jobs and trying to get a house ready for sale and then this  issue is a realy bummer

Hey there Gregathit good to see your on the ball here, one ? is how do i go about trying to log into a different server... im not a noob to steam i just never had to do that before and and sitting here dumbfounded by that idea ....ya know its one of those things that pops out and smack why the hell didn't i think of that?

Hey there Gregathit good to see your on the ball here, one ? is how do i go about trying to log into a different server... im not a noob to steam i just never had to do that before and and sitting here dumbfounded by that idea ....ya know its one of those things that pops out and smack why the hell didn't i think of that?

This will talk you through it: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5483-YUFN-0521

Hey wadda ya know it works, my steam now connects and is stable, Thank You ....now for my next ? and it wont be as painfull i promise .... am i to understand that my game may say version 1.3 so would i take it that its fully updated to 1.8 since my steam is saying there are no more patches for the game .... im not running either of the add ons so am i to assume that 1.3 is as high i can go Just for the Skyrim game and the other patches are for the other add ons?

Guest Plastrader

i'm guessing the the lower left corner (in game, press escape)

And Gregathit. "Duck and Cover" you're doing it wrong!

@GreyDeath

The game may aswell has been updated to 1.8 without you having the DLCs installed.

um no

there is no real way to check STEAM updates and Versions because the temp files are deleted after an update is downloaded from STEAM

which is one of my Gripes about going to a third party vendor for updates as they keep the updates and load the values from with in them ,

the most accurate way to check the game loaded update state is to go to the install folder in my case its T:Program files X(86) \steamapps\common\skyrim then right click on TESV and select properties then navigate to Details and it gives you all information on your game Updated status and file status mine right now is 1.3.041.1

but everyone else is getting something like 1.8.151.0 and my steam is stating that all updates are completed : hence my issue

Guest Plastrader

Couldn't it just be such a simple thing as the "run as administrator"?

For some reason the updater(Steam) might not be allowed to update the file(tesv.exe)

Sounds like you Steam install is messed up so it might be could to reinstall Steam. Here is how.

1. Delete everything in your Steam folder EXPECT the following folders.

- Backups folder

- Steam.exe

- Steamapps folder

2. Run the Steam.exe and Steam will rebuild itself.

If this does not work you will most likely have to contact Steam Support and wait for an answer.

Couldn't it just be such a simple thing as the "run as administrator"?

For some reason the updater(Steam) might not be allowed to update the file(tesv.exe)

actually I only run my games as Admin and they are all on their own respective dedicated Hard drives meaning each game has their own drive , doing it this way cuts down on the hassle of installing only the drivers i need  versus the ones i don't and the updates required ...that way i only install the game i want to play with its own files and enable administrator rights and load the values, and is why I know its a Steam issue and not a game or isp issue . and it makes having a clean running and well maintained gaming system enjoyable to play rather then waiting for background services to finish before i can play my game