Help me pick a computer

Dude500X

http://www.dell.com/nz/p/gaming-desktop-deals

Note, the Aurora's are out of the quesiton.. cant afford it AT ALL Lol.

Anyway, in the next 3 or 4 month's I am going to try acquire a new PC for gaming, I am using a laptop and while it does the job I want abit more oomph.

The ones I am thinking of are the X51's on that link.  I am just wondering.. is it worth going for the most expensive X51? or will the cheaper one or middle priced one be all I need?

Thanks.

Dude, build one yourself. It is easier than it sounds, and will cost you roughly 1/2 - 1/3 of the price, depending on what you get. You'll also get a MUCH BETTER RIG.

Seriously, even if you just buy the pieces yourself, and then ask someone to put it together for you, it will still be A HELL OF A LOT CHEAPER.

To give you an idea, I brought this for a full system: (notice there are redundant parts and parts for other PC's)

9ti9zm.jpg

For £1160.09 / $1815.63

Now get rid of the extraQuad Core, extra dual core, the extra motherboard, and the extra ram ( - £204.1 / $319.30)

= £955.99 / $1496.33

And that was in the UK where hardware is expensive. In the US, you can get stuff like this for a lesser price, or so I've been told. In any case, in itself that is a better rig than the dell one, for nearly $1000 cheaper! 

Oh god, don't go Dell. Don't ever go Dell!

You really are better off building your own, though you can get some very good, very inexpensive gaming computers. I suggest http://www.newegg.com, they have great deals and consumer feedback, and it's where I got mine. My computer is an iBuyPower, specifically designed to play games. I've had it since August of last year, and it runs great. My games are graphics heavy, and I can play on high settings across the board with no lag. Definitely check them out.

Tandy 2000:

Specifications
  • 8 MHz Intel 80186
  • 128KB RAM (expandable to 768KB, of which up to 256KB was located on
    the motherboard, or up to a maximum of 896KB with motherboard and ROM
    modifications)
  • 1 or 2 720KB 5¼" floppy drives
  • 10MB MFM
    full-height hard drive (upgradable to two 32MB half-height drives, or
    two 80MB drives with ROM modifications and third-party low-level
    formatting software)
  • Proprietary parallel printer port (requires adapter cable to connect to a Centronics-port printer)
  • Proprietary serial port
  • 4? card slots on the back could accept expansion boards without the need to open the case
  • 256KB RAM card (up to 2 could be added for 768KB total; each card had two 128KB banks of nine 16KB RAM chips)
  • Color Graphics Card
  • Mouse/Clock Card
  • Hard disk card with two ribbon cables to an outboard 10MB hard drive
  • Network Card (BNC)

You can't beat that. Trust me. It's what I'm running!

Close electrical shops may be able to build one you like.  The worst part is cooling your CPU properly.  Do it wrong and it cooks nicely.  Buying a lower system at first, and then slowly adding premier cards, memory, and second hard drive is good also.  talking at colleges or in the stores/pubs may get a good quick path.  I learned my skills back in the 90's by upgrading slowly and now on my 5th system totally built/or upgraded.  Stay with the Laptop for travel and allow the Desktop to become the master server for your home. 

Guest Lady Luck

Here's my minimum standard

if you looking for casual gaming or hardcore

budget around : 200$-300

Difficulty to build : medium

PC that can play medium if tweak properly can go High setting LV1.

Specs

Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H/AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz/ Win 7 HP/CM Hyper 212 Plus

Proceessor : i3 ( standard medium setting gameplay)

GPU : EVGA GeForce GTS 450 FTW 

PowerSuply :  greenmax plus 550w

Ram Minimum : 4gig ( standard build)

PC that can play Extreme Ultra X2 and ultra 1.0 ( Crytek build)

Budget around :500$ - 4000$

Choice of  builds Processor is optional pick the one you like

Processor :

• i5  [sandy , ivy bridge]
  • i7 [sandy , ivy bridge]

GPU  ( AMD ATI or nvida your choice)

• AMD ATI  Series 7x 1gb
  • Nvidia GTX 690

Power Supply

•  CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-550VX 550WATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Ram  (Choices of ram)

• 8gb  ( for standard SSD hardrive and HDD )
  • 16gb  ( For duel channel 1tb Hardrive )

Archived