SKSE64 Launch Patch

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE MY WORK IN PAID MODS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEGENDARY EDITION ALSO EXISTS
It's here: https://www.loverslab.com/files/file/1730-skse-launch-patch/

It works a bit differently, but achieves almost the same result.

USE EITHER THIS OR MOD MANAGERS

Because of how mod managers work, my patch is incompatible with them. I'm not going to fix that - if you're using a mod manager, you don't need my patch anyway.

HOW TO USE IT
Just run it. Execute it. Start the EXE file.
Oh, and of course you need SKSE64 installed. It's an SKSE64 patch after all.

WHAT IT DOES
It's a port of my launcher from Legendary Edition, but while achieving a similar goal, it works differently, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

This patch replaces the launcher and allows you to run Skyrim SE + SKSE64:
- from your regular Desktop shortcut to SkyrimSE Launcher
- from Steam client
- the shortcut generated by SKSE will work too (and does not interact with my launcher)

HOW IT WORKS
When you run this patch:
- it extracts it's own version of SkyrimSELauncher.exe, which not only starts SKSE64, but also hides its ugly command line window
- right before extracting its own file, it renames official SkyrimSELauncher.exe to SkyrimSELauncher_original.exe in case you need it later
- it doesn't edit SKSE.ini, so don't worry about mod conflicts

The downside is, you will no longer see the original launcher when you start the game.

The only way to use the original launcher is to start its EXE directly. (Go to game folder, find SkyrimSELauncher_original.exe and run it.)

Luckily, there is nothing useful in the launcher anymore, except for graphics options. You will probably set them up once and never again.

Most of those settings is accessible inside the game as well.

WHY IT'S SO AWESOME
1. It's neat - doesn't pop up a console window, like regular SKSE64 does.

2. Because this patch will work with any version of SKSE64, including those yet to come.
3. Because it doesn't conflict with mods. At all. (It could only conflict with programs that have their own EXE wrappers, like maybe ENB?)
4. It will even run with future versions of Skyrim SE

5. In case of new SkyrimSE or SKSE64 version, all you have to do is to reinstall my program again
6. Although this patch is written in English, it will work with any language version of the game

WHAT IF IT STOPS WORKING
As I said in point 5 above, Just reinstall my launcher.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    11/20/2019
  • Category
  • Requires
    SKSE64 - any version for Skyrim Special Edition
  • Regular Edition Compatible
    No

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Couldn't find SkyrimSE_original.exe. You have customized the runtime name via SKSE64's .ini file, and that file does not exist. This can usually be fixed by removing the RuntimeName line from the .ini file.)

Sooooo, doens't work

Okay to fix what this flawed software will do, go to
F:\Jeux-Games_Juegos\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\skse

Then modify the SKSE.ini with that text

[Display]
;iTintTextureResolution=2048

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
;EnableDiagnostics=1
[Memory]
;DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
;ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
6 hours ago, gregathit said:

Reinstall SKSE and say yes to the overwrites (if any) and then don't install this mod again if you think it has broken your game.

Doing so gets a message from the original loader that the  .ini file has incorrect information. Any idea?

Basically, to all of the problems described above - reinstall everything, start again.

SE version of my launcher no longer works with SkyrimSE.exe, it goes with SkyrimSELauncher.exe instead.

There were some broken versions...

Also - I'm giving up on modding without a mod manager myself. The loadorder manager built-in to the game is trash. Way worse than original Skyrim from 2011.

So you either gotta go with mod manager program or don't mod your game >_<

Which is sad, but true.

My launcher here conflicts heavily with mod managers, because it does the same thing (but in simplified manner, that doesn't require an interface to show you).

The current version works. I can guarantee that much. But I'm not going to develop it any further, since SE is waaay too fucked up to mod without a mod manager.

• 3 months later...

i dont get it.....doesn't "skse_launcher" (or "skse64_launcher) do the same thing? and for a modder, i can userstand it being fucked up to work on some times, but from a users perspective, skse_launcher is actually very simple....i just dont get the need to even start this

Yes, skse64_launcher.exe does *mostly* the same thing, but in a less neat way. You see the ugly console window for a split second, for no reason.

My mod is in improvement on that.

However, this is old story now. I discovered that Bethesda completely fucked up how mod order works, so you need external tools to prevent re-sorting anyway.

My mod you see here just makes the launch nicer. You are better off launching the game through Mod Organizer anyway, so my mod is no longer necessary.

The only use for my mod now is when you have VERY few mods. Personally - I don't use this mod anymore.