Is it possible to convert a weapon to a different type?

Aki K

Is it possible to convert a 2 handed weapon to be a one handed weapon?  I tried this in TesEdit.  Is kind of worked.  My character used the right animations, the weapon was used in one hand and I could swing it to kill people, BUT the weapon was invisible.  Or rather it remained sheathed on my characters back.

This isn't a request or anything.  I have no specific weapons in mind.  Just curious.

Yes, you can. What I did is open a one-handed weapon nif in Nifskope and then the two-handed weapon I wanted to change and just copied the parts I needed and saved. Then you have to change the animations it uses in X-Edit I think. Hard to remember, but it worked. If I remember more, I'll let you know.

4 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Yes, you can. What I did is open a one-handed weapon nif in Nifskope and then the two-handed weapon I wanted to change and just copied the parts I needed and saved. Then you have to change the animations it uses in X-Edit I think. Hard to remember, but it worked. If I remember more, I'll let you know.

I want to keep the weapons appearance exactly the same.  Do I still need to use nifskope?  I'm thinking yes because my changes in X-edit kept the weapon on my back and invisible.

3 minutes ago, Aki K said:

I want to keep the weapons appearance exactly the same.  Do I still need to use nifskope?  I'm thinking yes because my changes in X-edit kept the weapon on my back and invisible.

You don't have to copy anything from another weapon. All you need to do is opening the Nif in NifSkope (yes you have to) and go to the very first NiStringExtraData you see. Click on the txt symbl and change the text from WeaponBack to WeaponSword.

Spoiler

From

sword.jpg.fcaca27cde70ded68f41c268645a3f34.jpg

To

sword2.jpg.b05acc0a26cf408976c1942d616ec238.jpg

1 hour ago, Alessia Wellington said:

You don't have to copy anything from another weapon. All you need to do is opening the Nif in NifSkope (yes you have to) and go to the very first NiStringExtraData you see. Click on the txt symbl and change the text from WeaponBack to WeaponSword.

Reveal hidden contents

From

sword.jpg.fcaca27cde70ded68f41c268645a3f34.jpg

To

sword2.jpg.b05acc0a26cf408976c1942d616ec238.jpg

Well, what I meant was to use the first as a reference since I didn't know what determined that. Seems like I had to change the weapon bounds too, or am I mistaken in this? I was working with a static object if that makes any difference.

2 hours ago, Alessia Wellington said:

Whenever you change a weapon's animations/type in xEdit or the CK, you also need to change the keyword in its nif accordingly.

Thank you.  Might give it a try again.  I'm sure there are some two handed weapons that could work well as 1 handed.  I'll experiment with it a bit.  ^-^

Would I be correct to assume the reach of the weapon's hit box will change to be shorter like that of a sword?

3 minutes ago, Aki K said:

Would I be correct to assume the reach of the weapon's hit box will change to be shorter like that of a sword?

Only if you change its reach manually. The reach of a weapon doesn't change if you leave it untouched. Or in other words, a sword that has a reach of 1.4 in its tow-handed version will also have a reach of 1.4 when changed to one-handed.

Archived