Humbling Experience... ugh

I recently retired. I love gaming. Spoiled by Xbox and PS.... My wife bought me a gaming PC. I thought I was gonna dive in and go..... Yeah, well, any of you who lack computer experience and basic knowledge can understand. I'm catching on pretty quick, but there are so many little "traps" that throw a guy/gal off.... LMAO. I'm starting completely over. I know I am not alone in this frustrating adventure. Giving kudos to all you guru's out there that got this shit licked. I'm jelly....  getting physics to function properly is probably easy.... but I might as well be blind in a maze. Have a blessed day!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a long time PC user, but I just got my first VR system, I imagine I'm going though about the same thing you are.  I ended up returning Skyrim VR because I couldn't get the controllers to work.  Later I discovered that there is a trick to it.  Keep plugging away, it will get easier!

I was lucky enough to be around computing in one form or another since the 80's. It helped that I was able to see the progress made in technology, so the concepts became second nature to me. While I'm no programmer or anything to deal with code, I still get the ideas behind the individual components of a PC, and the things done to make them play nice together. If you look at a PC like a car, with it's many different systems coming together, then I think you will get a better understanding of what you're truly dealing with.

Also the use of an operating system with all it's tricks will go a long way. I remember as windows evolved I kept thinking to myself - Why are there so many ways to do the SAME thing? Lucky you didn't have to deal with DOS (disk operating system) at the beginning - as that needed one to learn a few 'BASIC' commands just to use (thankfully I had went from Atari 2600 to a Commodore 64 w/disk drive).

Familiarity is your biggest obstacle. So just play, read, and read some more. I can't imagine trying to explain to someone what I've learned over the past 30+ years.

2 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Good, you can tell everyone what those legacy ports are for, lol.

Perhaps you have an older monitor which isn't HDMI compatible - but your graphics card has a legacy port for SVGA... I run 2 computers and both share the same LED TV. My older computer (Nvidia 9600 OC) doesn't have HDMI, but the TV has both. so I get use from both port types.

Many people still get use from older USB connectors - luckily at this time they are pretty much universal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_connectors

If you stick with it, it is rewarding.  I have been manually modding my games for years, same with Skyrim, after too many mod manager issues that were beyond frustrating.  Sometimes I spend 95% of my free time modding, and 5% playing and that's cool with me.