How do you do this?

Tebok

This is one of the children of the sky outfits done by jiitek. I really LOVE the torn clothing look and wanted to try make it even more tattered.

First I wanted to change the texture to make it look like an old burlap gown, but any attempt to convert the DDS, edit it and revert it completely takes away the rips and holes and gives me the original outfit before jiitek edited it.

Is there a way I can edit this outfit? :(

Nila.jpg

It sounds like you are eating up the alpha channel, have you ensured that you have selected a different option while saving the DDS that isn't "DXT1 RGB 4 bpp | no alpha"?

(Just taking a wild guess here, a link to the armor would help)

I used to make banners for another game with torn edges. You need to save the DDS in a format that supports alpha channel, otherwise transparency information will be lost.

If you are using GIMP for example, try to save it uncompressed and use RGBA8 format. If that works then try saving in one of the DXT5 compression formats.

DXT 2-5 all support alpha. DXT 4 and 5 will give you the most gradual alpha if you don't want sharp edges. I haven't tested this, but I'm willing to wager that the Skyrim engine only supports DXT 1, 3, and 5 since those are the only ones that DX 10 and later kept. So in terms of compression formats, DXT 1 is for no alpha, DXT 3 is for sharp alpha(a bit better then either visible or not), and DXT 5 is your high quality alpha that allows you to fade between opaque and invisible. For Gimp, when saving to DXT compression leave the format on Default because the format changes based on the compression format. I Think DXT3 is supposed to be RGBA4 or something like that, but leaving format on Default will fix that for you. Also if you have an alpha layer in your image GIMP will automatically save as RGBA8 if you select NONE for compression and leave format as DEFAULT.

This is the setting I have DDS converter on on. There are two files associated with the robe - Clothes.DDS and Clothes_N.DDS This is what they look like after I convert them into BMPs

Alright' date=' first of all, I'd recommend that you get Nvidia's texture plugin for Photoshop (download here) to work with the .DDS, that way you won't risk losing any information of the image when converting, and you can work and save directly on the same format.

To know what to edit for whichever effect you are aiming for, Bethy's naming format narrows to:

name.dds = Diffuse maps.

name_n.dds = Normals (bump) maps.

name_g.dds = Specular/Glow maps.

The diffuse map itself contains the alpha channel, it's like an extra mask layer that works on a gray-scale, what's painted white is visible, and what's painted black is invisible, this is what you'll use to add more "see-through" scratches and tattered'ness on your clothes.

To get to this, swap from the "Layers" tab to the "Channels" tab, then select the "Alpha" layer, there you'll be able to paint on a grayscale what you want visible and what not (If you click the eye, it'll make the mask look like an overlay over the RGB channel so you can keep track of what's being masked and what isn't). Once you are done, save as .DDS and following cefwyn's explanation, save it on the proper format by selecting it from the dropbox as pictured.

EOf7j.jpg

The diffuse map itself contains the alpha channel' date=' it's like an extra mask layer that works on a gray-scale, what's painted white is visible, and what's painted black is invisible, this is what you'll use to add more "see-through" scratches and tattered'ness on your clothes.

[img']http://i.imgur.com/EOf7j.jpg[/img]

Yes I have a program called Poser 5. The black and white maps are called 'transmaps there' :) I figured out the problem. I had to convert it to TGA rather then a BMP. Still, I would not have figured it out of not for your help. Thanks!

post-123932-13597882311031_thumb.jpg

Archived