Launcher Issues?

I've been having an issue with the launcher. It wouldn't download any new CC and I found that if you remove the mods folder from the Sims 3 files, the launcher will work right. It did. Then I tried to start the game, only to have it crash (I'm not sure what a better word is) before it even loaded.

I'm currently in the process of uninstalling a bunch of downloads from the launcher that I no longer want or use in the game. During this process, I found that the launcher wouldn't even uninstall the content with the mods folder in the Sims 3 files. I had to take the folder out in order to get it to work.

I'm wondering if there's a limit to how much CC and mods Sims 3 can handle? I've really been wanting to play the past few days and am getting frustrated by it. 

5 hours ago, VolsDoll said:

I've been having an issue with the launcher. It wouldn't download any new CC and I found that if you remove the mods folder from the Sims 3 files, the launcher will work right. It did. Then I tried to start the game, only to have it crash (I'm not sure what a better word is) before it even loaded.

I'm currently in the process of uninstalling a bunch of downloads from the launcher that I no longer want or use in the game. During this process, I found that the launcher wouldn't even uninstall the content with the mods folder in the Sims 3 files. I had to take the folder out in order to get it to work.

I'm wondering if there's a limit to how much CC and mods Sims 3 can handle? I've really been wanting to play the past few days and am getting frustrated by it. 

hey, VolsDoll,

hope this finds you well.

this matter with the Launcher used to happen to me as well: if i attempted install and/or uninstall a Sims3Pack file while having the Mods Folder lodged inside The Sims 3 folder, my game would CTD as well.
that happens because the Launcher opens portions of the game core to have Sims3Pack files installed then recognised by TS3; since the game core access the Mods folder during initialisation, having it installed generate several conflicts. therefore your solution is partially right: move the Mods folder to the desktop prior to dealing with Sims3Pack files, move them back to their previous location afterwards, then clear all cache files.

about uninstalling the Sims3Pack files: you should do it, next convert them into .package files, then have them installed into your Mods folder in case you still want to have them.
since — according to this article published by Anach at MATY — TS3 imposes a limit of 200MB on its own merged packages (dbc file)*; also, a user should try to keep your total number of mod packages + Sims3Pack files under 100 items. also, according to the same article, you should consider merging all your CC into fewer but larger package files. Anach, for example, was able to reduce 691 CC .package files into 8 CC-merged .package files.

note*: such limit of 200 MB was back in 2010; things have improved since then, and it has been raised to 2048 MB. also, this restriction applies to the combined size of all Sims3Pack files installed. on the other hand, CC and Mod package files can be of any size — their largeness, in this case, only affects TS3's starting and processing time (larger files takes longer).

note: Mods such as NRaas are modular; therefore despite the number of NRaas' modules and submodules installed, TS3 will consider them as one Single Mod.

note: from experience, i advise you to neither merge Script Mods nor Animation files.

i hope this helps, Vols;

cheers.

7 hours ago, VolsDoll said:

That's because the Launcher has to load everything that's in Documents>Electronic Arts>The Sims 3 game folder into the system memory the less it has to load up the better that's why it's a good idea to remove the Mods folder and the sims3packs after they have been installed from the Downloads folder. As well as being less it has to deal with and sort through as it installs the sims3packs.

System specs also play a part if you have less than 8GB of RAM installing a bunch of stuff will eat up the system memory leaving none for the game to load up with and even if you 8GB of RAM again depending on how much you install the same thing can happen. At least with patch 1.67.

With patch 1.69 it becomes even tricky as the Launcher has to load up the whole game in the system memory depending on how many EP's and SP's you want to use.

Also crashes on load up can be caused by having mods that require certain Store Items and not having those installed. Outdated mods can also do that.

54 minutes ago, ZenBuddhist said:

limit of 200 MB was back in 2010; things have improved since then, and it has been raised to 2048 MB

Anach was wrong. 200 (actually it's 204-270) was the optimal limit and 2048 is the max limit but that's not recommended as not everything will load properly. EA put a max limit of 400 MB on theirs while not optimal everything should still load properly but the Launcher will do it's best to stay within the optimal range.

You can have as many mods as you want but try to keep the mods folder below 1 GB. The more mods you have over 100 packages the longer the load time size doesn't really matter much but best to try and keep a merged package below 300 MB and don't exceed 400 MB.

24 minutes ago, ZenBuddhist said:

Namaradus, buddy: you're the best. thanks again for the explanation.

No problem but if I remember correctly you're on a Mac so you need to be a little more careful as Mac users never got the benefit of LAA and are still limited to the 32 bit 2GB memory cap.

Whereas Windows users got LAA with patch 1.22 increasing the memory cap to 3.5GB before Error 12 risks and the 3.7GB CTD threshold. And only if they have at least 8GB of RAM installed otherwise if they have less than 8GB of RAM they have the 2GB cap.

Thanks so much! 

You guys explained it really well. Normally I'm just like, "Huh?" when it comes to technical computer lingo, but I actually understood what you were saying! I think I'm going to try converting the Sims3pack files to package and work from there.

My computer does have 8GB with a 1TB hard drive. Things were working great until I tried to install some new CC last week.

Again, thank you so much!! Y'all are awesome!! 

Archived