Nasa updates 2013

Guest Lady Luck

Granted' date=' if you're JUST planning to make a short manned mission to Mars, then building up the infrastructure needed on the Moon is way more costly. But if you're planning to STAY on Mars, and explore the rest of the solar system, then in the long run, the cost to build up on the Moon will be far less than constantly launching from Earth.

[/quote']

Indeed. I don't see why they don't just do the one man one ticket (or 2/3/4 men no return) idea which is both the more feasible and probably the one which will reap the most rewards - sending yearly shipments of supplies is a lot cheaper than having to make a mission every time you want to send someone there.

My father, a geologist, says he's give an arm and a leg for that opportunity, and he wouldn't even much care for returning to Eearth. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find other similar minded people.

They could stay there for years, doing experiments probes would struggle to, and it would retain massive public interest I'd imagine. They could be the "first colony" so to speak, whether they were allowed to die out, or retrieved at a (much) later date or replaced.

When we want to murder one another' date=' the sky is the limit for budget. When we want to land on another planet, it's "We can't pay for that, it costs way too much!"

Maybe we should use the pretense of killing one another in space?

[/quote']

Indeed, such a shame that. Perhaps we should have GENOCIDE! This time in space! Space Jockey Edition!

There's been plenty of discussion as to why going straight to Mars rather than using the moon would be less costly and time consuming to achieve. I don't really care *how* they do it to be honest' date=' I just hope they do.

[/quote']

Granted, if you're JUST planning to make a short manned mission to Mars, then building up the infrastructure needed on the Moon is way more costly. But if you're planning to STAY on Mars, and explore the rest of the solar system, then in the long run, the cost to build up on the Moon will be far less than constantly launching from Earth.

The moon is best viewed as a highway rest stop, however unless future studies show that humans can live in the moons lower gravity without ill effect, any colony would have to be on orbital stations that shin to produce something akin to gravity thru the use of centerfugal force.

Gravitationally, it is the PERFECT spot for a base, and the reasoning for doing that first are legion.

The key reason: We do that, we build up an infrastructure to support it. That makes ALL missions easier by far. Depending on what resources the moon has avalible for mining, it could even allow for a massive shipbuilding faculty in orbit, fed by mines and refineries on the surface, without the added cost of boosting the mass out of Earth's substantially greater gravity well.

Furthermore, building ships in orbit would allow for new designs, ones never intended to make planetfall and instead designed purely for space travel. That would be a massive change and improvement over current space travel methods.

Speaking of mining, next up is logistics.

If we go straight to mars, EVERYTHING has to be boosted out of Earths gravity well.

That means for everything we launch, it has to have a giant booster to punch it off of Earth, where on the moon the weaker gravity means a much easier time lifting that same mass, allowing for much larger components and more supplies to be boosted, allowing for larger ships that are capable of much longer range, carrying more supplies, and more people.

Logistically, any time lost setting up those efforts on the moon would be more than returned later on as suddenly doing anything at all is much easier.

Now, I mentioned mining.

What will we mine ?

Well, the obvious answer is water.

Simple electrolysis of that water generates oxygen and hydrogen.

That means you get fuel, air, and water, all supplied en mase.

And during those efforts, likely using robotics as much as possible, there is a great chance we would also discover deposits of useful minerals and elements.

Gold, iron, uranium, whatever is on the Earth is likely to be findable on the moon as well.

That would make the logistics of establishing a base on the moon extremly easy as well, as it could build itself with minimal supply from earth, plus the more water, the more hydroponic farms could be built to supply food for the staff, as well as possibly sending livestock for meat.

Now, this means that if we want to colonize Mars, the main thing needing to be shipped up from Earth would be the people themselves, as many of the supplies could be provided from the moon, indeed the moon could act as a gigantic hub for efforts elsewhere in the solar system.

Now, as for shipyards in orbit of the moon (or orbital shipyards period), it would as I mentioned above allow for construction of larger vessels.

That is something that would be utterly impossible on Earth, as launching it into orbit would be quite challenging if not impossible, as larger ships could be designed solely for space travel, complete with segments of the vessel for the crew being designed to spin to give the crew some form of gravity, thus allowing the crews to be capable of staying on the vessel for a much longer duration.

That gets done, we can likely go anywhere we want in the solar system.

And last but not least, safety.

It would be easy to include emergency lifeboat type craft on a moon mission, designed to launch and return to earth very rapidly, which would be able to return to Earth within a matter of days, or emergency supplies to be sent in a similar period of time.

Now if we go to Mars first, to stay, it'd still take months to reach mars or return, and that's if the planet is close enough to earth to return that quickly.

That means any colony would be more or less on it's own.

We go to the moon first, we not only learn much more about living in space, setting up colonies, and all of the things we currently don't even know we don't know, we learn that on the moon, it makes a Mars colony (or just a visit) easier and safer by far.

Furthermore, if the moon were colonized, or at least was home to a base, sending anything to Mars is much easier, supplies could be left in a lunar orbit, or even in a lagrange point, drifting with delivery vehicles ready to be loaded and shot wherever they're needed.

NOT going to the moon first, it'd be like when the Europeans colonized the Americas, the colonies are completely cut off, and all of the settlers would have no real experience to fall back on.

Go to the moon first, the experince of the lunar pioners would at the very least make the whole thing a lot easier, they may even make it easy.

Guest Lady Luck

and here i am thinking that nasa isn't special if nasa weren't special then why people debating on an update i dont get it the mentality of people today. not pointing somebody started " special " quote. :P " sarcasm"

This is what i can only say to mars why mars is only fit for astronaut/cosmonaut a normal human being cannot withstand it's duration and weather.

every minute on mars its like 1 hour , living in mars its like being inside on a coffee cup everything and anything spins around that's why it is not recommendable human population live in such planet if we all wanted to live in , we likely going to be in a Space station a safe hub for healthy living, with proper Oxygen to breath , yes there is a River and water source but can you really walk on there without suit no a suit would cost literally millions to produce if a government is too rich making everybody an astronaut suit we living there already.

This is likely why " humans " will be rich on mars

because mars has rare metal resource , shit let alone a rock from mars cost 1$ million dollars "A freaking rock " i remember seeing that post on Nasa blogs . now i wanted to rob planet mars " just kidding " anyway yeah just imagine if we all can live in mars we be trading shit and buy stuff easily without any hard effort just dig around the planet u might find expensive minerals then gold.

Starcraft quote " we need MOAR minerals!" lol

Guest Lady Luck

lmaooo i really want to see that seriously i always think that nasa have such things well its 2013 u know we already there lol

This is likely why " humans " will be rich on mars

because mars has rare metal resource ' date=' shit let alone a rock from mars cost 1$ million dollars "A freaking rock " i remember seeing that post on Nasa blogs . now i wanted to rob planet mars "

[/quote']

Mars rocks are only worth that much because they're so rare.

Fact is that the minerals and metals are likely to be the same avalible on the moon, and if the moon were to have a colony space station the same as you suggested for mars, then the moon would be a better choice, due to having everything mars has except an atmosphere, and having the added benefit of being mere days away from earth.

The moon is the logical next step for anything major, once we get a base there, reaching anywhere else is very easy.