Need help picking new Gpu

uscno84

Hello, I’m looking to upgrade from gtx 1080Fe gpu, my main game is fallout 4, heavily modded with 4k textures and enb... I also like to play metro exodus and battle field, i’m ok with playing 1440p high refresh and at 4k 60. Right now in fallout all the mods, vram is becoming an issue, and in the newer games like metro and re2 vram can be an issue. Any suggestions on new gpu please?

• 2 weeks later...

Heyo !

Not many choices ATM when playing at the se resolutions. It's either go for the RTX2080/2080ti or wait for the end of the year to see how AMD's Vega GPU's will perform.
(I'm waiting as well because I switched to a 1440p screen and my R9 Fury is struggling a bit in that resolution).

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 2:17 AM, uscno84 said:

Oh ok, hopefully someone releases something really good, and hopefully it’s amd.

Given the card you already have, AMD probably aren't the path for you. You'll be spending money for a modest upgrade.

AMD's marketing approach is try and beat nVidia on performance per dollar, not on flat-out performance. nVidia aim to win on that last one, and seem to be doing so consistently.

Any AMD card that appears is unlikely to outperform nVidia's best gaming offering in the same time-frame, or if it does, will not outperform it for more than a few weeks before the next nVidia release hits, and even then, only in certain situations.

It's always going to be the case that unless you buy something significantly faster than what you currently have, it better use of money to hold back for a while and spend the money when you are getting a major upgrade.

I bought a 1080Ti when they were still quite expensive, and despite the outlay, it was totally worth it. At the time I bought it, it was a major upgrade for me.

I can probably sweat it out until the next nVidia generation now, and then, I'll buy the high-end card, and it will last me a couple of years, or more.

Keeping up to date in little increments is great if money is no object for you.

The higher up the price points you go, the more you are throwing away on each purchase, so it's simple logic that if you buy less often, you spend less in total.

The down side is you have a slower card, but it's always a choice, money or performance.

24 minutes ago, Lupine00 said:

Given the card you already have, AMD probably aren't the path for you. You'll be spending money for a modest upgrade.

AMD's marketing approach is try and beat nVidia on performance per dollar, not on flat-out performance. nVidia aim to win on that last one, and seem to be doing so consistently.

Any AMD card that appears is unlikely to outperform nVidia's best gaming offering in the same time-frame, or if it does, will not outperform it for more than a few weeks before the next nVidia release hits, and even then, only in certain situations.

It's always going to be the case that unless you buy something significantly faster than what you currently have, it better use of money to hold back for a while and spend the money when you are getting a major upgrade.

I bought a 1080Ti when they were still quite expensive, and despite the outlay, it was totally worth it. At the time I bought it, it was a major upgrade for me.

I can probably sweat it out until the next nVidia generation now, and then, I'll buy the high-end card, and it will last me a couple of years, or more.

Keeping up to date in little increments is great if money is no object for you.

The higher up the price points you go, the more you are throwing away on each purchase, so it's simple logic that if you buy less often, you spend less in total.

The down side is you have a slower card, but it's always a choice, money or performance.

I see your wisdom here, I'll wait for next gen cards, hopefully there will be a major jump like from maxwell to pascal.

Another thing to consider is if you like using Nvidia Ansel for the supported games that won't work on AMD cards.  The only card I would suggest that would be a big upgrade is going for the RTX 2080 Ti.  I personally still am using two GTX 980 Ti in SLI and I'm going to wait until the next generation RTX (3xxx series??) Ti to replace my aging 980 Ti's when they would be a major upgrade. 

1 hour ago, uscno84 said:

I remember skipping the 900 series. How are your 980’s holding up today?

They are still surprisingly holding up well despite their age.  Both are now three years old and it helps that they are the Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme cards, so they overclock well too.  While newer and some older demanding games require me to tick down settings at 4K, both cards eat up any game at 1440p 120hz (I have a 55 inch Samsung QN55Q65FNFXZA and has native 120hz refresh at 1080p/1440p) that has sub 10 ms input lag at 1080p 120hz, 1440p 120hz and sub 15 ms input lag at 4k 60hz 4:4:4.  The TV only cost me $600 at my local Microcenter.  So both cards are still holding up for 1440p 120hz gaming well and do decent at 4K.  My modded Fallout 4 does have VRAM issues but I don't mind it overall and will not have that problem when I upgrade next year.  The TV even has Freesync built in for anyone that uses AMD cards. 

• 4 months later...

Update, back in August i ended up going with Evga xc ultra 2 2080ti, and this month switched to a ryzen 3800x with an msi prestige creation x570 mobo, with a  thermal take tower 900 Chasis. I love the system, how ever atm i can only do an all core oc 4.4ghz... but everything runs well. Thx to everyone for the replies

23 hours ago, uscno84 said:

Update, back in August i ended up going with Evga xc ultra 2 2080ti, and this month switched to a ryzen 3800x with an msi prestige creation x570 mobo, with a  thermal take tower 900 Chasis. I love the system, how ever atm i can only do an all core oc 4.4ghz... but everything runs well. Thx to everyone for the replies

Glad you found the best stuff that suited you :D
Have fun gaming (and modding !)

Archived