Why?!

Yinkle

I see a lot of posts about sims and they always look shit due to low poly models, textures etc.

My question is why do people still play this game in an adult capacity when the graphics are shit and the modded graphics are still shit?

Genuine question and I'm not here to troll, just out of interest. :)

People use it because it has its own charm and its very easy to jump straight in with not much knowledge of the genre, 

When I look at what it takes to mod skyrim I get brain ache lol

The graphics are more driven to cartoon characters I guess but with mods some people get some pretty lifelike models, 

Obviously it's not super HD but it's ok, 

I suppose visual quality isn't always a deal breaker when it comes with a level of freedom and enjoyment 

Honestly, when I first saw the sims promos, I didn't really want to play it because of the reason you mentioned but I disagree that the mods look shit. There are some amazing mods out there for hair, skins, eyes, etc. Those mods are the reason I ended up getting the base game. For me it's just another way to create reference images of characters. And what R-Lo said about the cartoon look... exactly that. Some people are ok with the fact that Sims don't look super realistic. It leaves something to the imagination. Super realistic characters can look almost creepy...

1 hour ago, R-Lo said:

People use it because it has its own charm and its very easy to jump straight in with not much knowledge of the genre, 

When I look at what it takes to mod skyrim I get brain ache lol

The graphics are more driven to cartoon characters I guess but with mods some people get some pretty lifelike models, 

Obviously it's not super HD but it's ok, 

I suppose visual quality isn't always a deal breaker when it comes with a level of freedom and enjoyment 

What she/he? said!   In all out panic mode I went into SL for awhile today (second life) and jumped into my main character, ooJenny.  I hung around there for a little while, went to a few clubs where yes, people were dancing and chatting in open chat, music wasn't bad, and I went to one of my favorite beaches where I had no less than 4 different guys come up to me in the first few minutes saying the usual and typical... "nice ass baby" and "wanna have some fun?"  Yah yah, been there and done that a thousand times... not that sex in SL isn't alot of fun, especially with real personalities to experience... BUT... i found myself missing my SIMS!  I missed cooking supper for my family, I missed going to the park with them, I missed going around behind the building with one of my on the side bf's, and I missed hopping on the computer and doing a live stream sex video to make enough to cover my bills.  SIMS... with the mods... has plenty to do to keep me interested and keep me in it, and I rarely think of the skins on my sims.  Yes they are a bit cartoony looking, but I don't notice that enough for it to be an issue.

It is not only for sex, it is generally quite superior to other sex games more current, Honey Select or Play Home type, both are programmed in Unity, visually are a pass, I will not deny, but the charm of creating your characters , provide them with personal, create your scenarios or supplements, it is much easier in the Sims, to give you an example, my mods folder of the sims occupies about 25 Gb, equal or more than the game itself and does not give me conflicts, that in other games you would be heading against a wall just to start the game.

943975166_TS4_x642019-01-2623-35-22.png.aa0460ddd54d5545761f42526f7308ca.png

424254773_TS4_x642018-11-1402-23-29.png.c2778c66add153e284342418ea87f328.png612273505_TS4_x642018-11-1402-42-13.png.ecb2d64e2cedfef15e450f7ac79a8561.png967644322_TS4_x642018-11-1902-29-30.png.26bf835c6e60caf5ea695bbae3288607.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2019 at 3:49 PM, Yinkle said:

I see a lot of posts about sims and they always look shit due to low poly models, textures etc.

My question is why do people still play this game in an adult capacity when the graphics are shit and the modded graphics are still shit?

Genuine question and I'm not here to troll, just out of interest. :)

First off I think this thread might be in the wrong category lol

Secondly, if you think the graphics look like shit based on screenshots from other players then the only explanation I can give is that they were playing on potato machines that can’t handle ultra graphics let alone hi quality texture mods. Some of the posts above prove that with the right setup this game can indeed look fantastic.

On the other hand, if you have no appreciation for a stylized/cartoony look in games then the visuals will always look like “shit” in your eyes.

On 4/16/2019 at 5:22 PM, R-Lo said:

I'm here for the cartoon look myself and managed to change the  tone of the game by using Reshade 

TS4_x64 2019-03-27 01-40-19.png

TS4_x64 2019-03-26 03-20-38.png

What reshade are you using? And more importantly, does that reshade blur the text? (That’s my biggest peeve with using reshade on sims 4)

6 minutes ago, HentaiGnome said:

What reshade are you using? And more importantly, does that reshade blur the text? (That’s my biggest peeve with using reshade on sims 4)

It's a config I made for myself, the depth of field (DOF) shader is not always active, I have it set to a separate hot key, 

It does affect the ui but the trick is to not use the heavier effects for gameplay, I mainly play the game for the purposes of taking pics and making videos so it doesn't really bother me, 

I use bandicam too for recording which I will do without the UI in view 

14 hours ago, HentaiGnome said:

Secondly, if you think the graphics look like shit based on screenshots from other players then the only explanation I can give is that they were playing on potato machines that can’t handle ultra graphics let alone hi quality texture mods. Some of the posts above prove that with the right setup this game can indeed look fantastic.

On the other hand, if you have no appreciation for a stylized/cartoony look in games then the visuals will always look like “shit” in your eyes.

Muhahaha, I love my potatoe machine/s (cheap office laptop but 8 GB RAM is needed if you like so many styles like I do for CAS and lots - modern, medieval/Skyrim conversion), some HD onboard chips can show very well results also (without HQ mod!). Sometimes users have to handle the graphic options of the game to get a better look or use reshade (or reshade presets).

Some prefer cartoonish style to get a nice comic style for screenshots and stories.

And why should someone just play Skyrim and not both games (like me)? If I m tired of load order, one million conflicts, shitty mods and very old descriptions (and all the dead links ,-)) at Skyrim, I visite my sims (and I got a lot, vanilla families, sexy and funny vampires, bad priests, hellway demons....) building or changing lots, puzzle some new sims and use WW stuff.

But who are we to critizise someone with a poor PC / laptop or less experience?! But sorry my time is less, I have to cut some throats at Skyrim today - oh, shit, I have to check it again (LOOT, FNIS) because I reinstalled a mod.  Modding The Sims 4 is really much easier for idiots like me. *lol

13_10.18_15-47-14KendoWozipaint.png.43f9481e4822e4328445fa7bc18463cf.png

Spoiler

06_10.18_13-46-20DivaPaint.png.342233675335b19986f071673589b598.png

02_10.18_13-49-12JennyWWPaint.png.f3a69f12b54b60c8065b6230b3d6262f.png

21_09.18_00-00-21NatePaint.png.8e0f5afd60f2214694958fc62bbb06e6.png

12 minutes ago, Mariana Soprano said:

Muhahaha, I love my potatoe machine/s (cheap office laptop but 8 GB RAM is needed if you like so many styles like I do for CAS and lots - modern, medieval/Skyrim conversion), some HD onboard chips can show very well results also (without HQ mod!). Sometimes users have to handle the graphic options of the game to get a better look or use reshade (or reshade presets).

+1

Playin' on a Laptop too (i3 / dual 2.4Ghz with only 4G RAM)

My graphic settings are simple : Maxed on sims. low on objects and reflects, medium on other settings and it works really well.

We don't need NASA computers to have really good graphic results on this game even without HQ mods.

35 minutes ago, Shayeesh said:

Playin' on a Laptop too (i3 / dual 2.4Ghz with only 4G RAM)

that's amazing, Shayeesh — f a n t a s t i c. you gave an actual meaning to the popular saying, "squeezing water from a stone" (perhaps, "prendre le lait de la pierre," in French? :))

i'm still playing the TS2-3 combo; although i like some of TS4's features, imho nothing really beats TS2's OFB and Bon Voyage expansion packages. and because i'm still using a 2011 iMac 21.5" (with a new video card and a good amount of RAM), i try not to push the CPU and GPU too hard. TS4 makes my rig struggle for air, sometimes.

your TS4 creations are outstanding, though — belles créations qui me donnent envie de réinstaller The Sims 4. ❤️
congrats!

salut, mon artiste. cheers!

26 minutes ago, ZenBuddhist said:

"squeezing water from a stone" we can't translate it in french. But i understand the general idea.

Well, i'll be perfectly honnest because there are some limits to play on a i3 hah!...

I'm a "CAS player" : it means to me i luv creating sims (lol almost 90% of my game time on Sims 4 is CAS creations...), ingame it induce that i don't really care about building and objects graphics even i try to keep settings to medium (my computer just become laggy when i change reflects setting in fact), that's where i choose to make sacrifices, to have almost 150 moded sims (makeovers + custom) i just decided to let houses with maxis stuff (i just added some computers CC).

About my creations, glad you like 'hem. Ca fait plaisir. ?

Hey... Let's give you a quick ingame shot of a sim i'm actually working on. Petite avant première!

Spoiler

08-05-2019_16-03-34.png.77d3ebfefa87408bc6cb8af3ac21b3fe.png

17 minutes ago, Shayeesh said:

to have almost 150 moded sims

that's amazing, Shayeesh! WOW!
i've been playing TS2/3 for over a decade; i don't think i've created that many sims!

your creations are stunning, Shayeesh; your sim is alluring. merci beaucoup pour le ¿regarde rapide? sur votre création. (i hope my French isn't too rusty or bad; i haven't spoken/written it for a lifetime).

wish you the very best; thanks again.

salut.

6 hours ago, Mariana Soprano said:

Some prefer cartoonish style to get a nice comic style for screenshots and stories.

And why should someone just play Skyrim and not both games (like me)? If I m tired of load order, one million conflicts, shitty mods and very old descriptions (and all the dead links ,-)) at Skyrim, I visite my sims (and I got a lot, vanilla families, sexy and funny vampires, bad priests, hellway demons....) building or changing lots, puzzle some new sims and use WW stuff.

But who are we to critizise someone with a poor PC / laptop or less experience?! But sorry my time is less, I have to cut some throats at Skyrim today - oh, shit, I have to check it again (LOOT, FNIS) because I reinstalled a mod.  Modding The Sims 4 is really much easier for idiots like me. *lol

13_10.18_15-47-14KendoWozipaint.png.43f9481e4822e4328445fa7bc18463cf.png

I support you Mariana, I also love my frankenstein for more than 10 years.
As I always love the realism of your characters, this capture is impressive.

Archived