When should you activate mods? New playthrough

Nuuhkia

I've always used old saves for mods and this is actually my first time starting a new game with 150+ mods.

Should you just straight up start a new game and play through the intro with all mods activated? Or do you play through the intro with no mods, get to Riverwood and then activate them? Is it recommended to save indoors before loading up your mods or even doing coc qasmoke and saving in their for maximum stability while your mods load? I searched for answers elsewhere but couldn't find any.

15 hours ago, Nuuhkia said:

Should you just straight up start a new game and play through the intro with all mods activated?

No, nay, never!

The vanilla intro is a broken piece of s*** by Bugthesda.

My way:

Similar as @donttouchmethere's .

I take ASLAL, start and configure AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE in that ASLAL prison cell.

Sometimes, I even take various save-exit-start-load cycles to activate more and more mods... until I am done. That way, it works always fine.

I even take that approach IF I start a new game with the vanilla Helgen scene.

4 hours ago, worik said:

No, nay, never!

The vanilla intro is a broken piece of s*** by Bugthesda.

My way:

Similar as @donttouchmethere's .

I take ASLAL, start and configure AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE in that ASLAL prison cell.

Sometimes, I even take various save-exit-start-load cycles to activate more and more mods... until I am done. That way, it works always fine.

I even take that approach IF I start a new game with the vanilla Helgen scene.

Alright, I'll try the mod out, thanks for the suggestion guys. I used to worry about compatibility issues with that mod, but since I've switched from NMM to MO2 I'm less worried about trying out new mods.

13 minutes ago, Nuuhkia said:

MO2

If you are playing Oldrim/LE, I would still stick to MO1, if you are playing NewRim/SE than MO2 is the right choice.

Reason behind my carefulness is that MO2 was not meant for Oldrim. And it is said to have some hickups with it.

So if you are starting fresh and new anyway, the reliable path is MO1 instead of MO2 ...

But that's the voice of carefulness speaking to you.

9 minutes ago, worik said:

If you are playing Oldrim/LE, I would still stick to MO1, if you are playing NewRim/SE than MO2 is the right choice.

Reason behind my carefulness is that MO2 was not meant for Oldrim. And it is said to have some hickups with it.

So if you are starting fresh and new anyway, the reliable path is MO1 instead of MO2 ...

But that's the voice of carefulness speaking to you.

Ughh I thought MO2 was okay to use with oldrim...I hope it's not a big issue to switch to MO1 now that I've already downloaded all my mods ?

You already collected your mods?

Did you order them in the right sequence

checked with loot

cleaned all of them?

Don't fret :classic_smile:

Try this:

1. install MO1.
  2. take your explorer
  3. MO1 has a /mods folder, MO2 has a /mods folder... take it from MO2  ..... COPY it into MO1
  4. DO NOT delete ANYTHING in your MO2 if you are happy with it, because you can always come back here and look up something ... until you have everything running smooth in MO1 again.
  5. Same should work with your profile ... in which the active mods, their priority and their load order are stored.
  6. configure all your tools to run in MO1 (FNIS, LOOT, SKSE starter, BodySlide, etc ...) (Edit: my personal toolset counts 14 tools in the toolbar, but I am not normal :classic_blush:)
  7. Done

Edit

You might need to fiddle a bit here and there if any paths in some ini files have to be switched ... but basically it is as simple as above.

5 minutes ago, worik said:

You already collected your mods?

Did you order them in the right sequence

checked with loot

cleaned all of them?

Don't fret :classic_smile:

Try this:

1. install MO1.
  2. take your explorer
  3. MO1 has a /mods folder, MO2 has a /mods folder... take it from MO2  ..... COPY it into MO1
  4. DO NOT delete ANYTHING in your MO2 if you are happy with it, because you can always come back here and look up something ... until you have everything running smooth in MO1 again.
  5. Same should work with your profile ... in which the active mods, their priority and their load order are stored.
  6. configure all your tools to run in MO1 (FNIS, LOOT, SKSE starter, BodySlide, etc ...)
  7. Done

Oh nice, wasn't sure how different MO2 was so I thought I was gonna have to do everything again. Can I do the same with the downloads folder and keep the meta files too?

download - should be yes. But I store my downloads outside of MO on an external  USB disk

meta - not sure , probably yes, probably even irrelevant ?

Last time I did it, I was in the same situation as you... almost exactly a year ago. When I discovered the hickups in MO2 and switched back to MO1

Outcome: I have a stable game running since January 21st ?

2 hours ago, worik said:

download - should be yes. But I store my downloads outside of MO on an external  USB disk

meta - not sure , probably yes, probably even irrelevant ?

Last time I did it, I was in the same situation as you... almost exactly a year ago. When I discovered the hickups in MO2 and switched back to MO1

Outcome: I have a stable game running since January 21st ?

Thanks again ^^ Glad it was an easy switch.

20 hours ago, Nuuhkia said:

Ughh I thought MO2 was okay to use with oldrim...I hope it's not a big issue to switch to MO1 now that I've already downloaded all my mods ?

Yes, MO2 is recommended over MO1 nowadays. I moved my mods over to MO2 about 4-5 months ago now and had a slightly improved experience. Had used MO2 with special edition already so knew i couldn't live without the custom overwrite output feature. Bodyslide, FNIS, Creation kit... all still works.

17 minutes ago, worik said:

For Skyrim LE? Not by me... or to be precise..: not yet

See OP, see buglist in MO2

?

MO2 team fixed a ton of issues that MO1 had. MO1 development ended many years ago, so that's why people don't bother reporting any if it even has an issue tracker... An abandoned project like that shouldn't. It's hard to find real answer to this but i'll just quote a moderator

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/13223-mo2-for-skyrim-le/

You can use the latest versions of MO2 for Skyrim LE but as far as I am aware it doesn't really offer any unique advantages when used with the older 32-bit games. Whether you want to use MO 1.3.11 or MO 2 for the 32-bit games at this point is really up to you.

The unique advantages really are the added features to the software itself, that weren't there in MO1 times yet.

Archived