I am creating a social media platform for simmers as an alternative to tumblr. Any comments or suggestions would help immensely.

akw0207

I have been doing web development for five years now (I started by coding themes on tumblr and moved on to wordpress and general full-stack development after a bit). I've always hated how buggy tumblr was, and the big purge has basically turned me off the platform for good. I chose mastodon and pillowfort for fandom and personal posting, but felt that no existing platform could really offer the same experience as simblr. So I made the decision to create a social network for simmers.
Features I'm considering implementing:
  • following functionality similar to twitter
  • no character limit on posts
  • ability to embed videos in a post
  • community groups for discussion (i know forums exist but this would be handy to have)
  • blacklisting ability
  • ability to block nsfw content
  • 18+ age requirement (no verification so obviously teens will sneak in, but I don't want minors anywhere near wicked whims or basemental drugs)
  • ability to co-author posts for collabs
  • reblogging function similar to tumblr
  • tag system for global tags and user-specific tags (this is a pillowfort feature iirc)
  • ability to create photo albums for stories/gameplay images/cc thumbnails/poses/etc
  • private messaging as well as publicly posted asks like tumblr
  • optional extra text by name like flairs on reddit
The site will need testers at first and will be in closed beta for a while, but I hope for it to eventually become a place for the sims community to share our creations and interact with each other.
Any input as to what you'd like to see in this new platform would be invaluable, as I am working on it solo right now and have no close friends with simblrs or who are active in the community beyond downloading mods.
I am currently in the planning phase of my project and have not yet begun coding anything or creating the site. When it is available for testing I will post on every sims-related platform I have an account on. I'm posting this on LoversLab, Reddit, MTS, and S4S.
  • 1 month later...

I think a perfect social media platform is a combination of nexusmods + tumblr.

A very detailed categorized database. With hot cc/mods, top of the week/month/year, new cc, updated cc, etc. And also feature to hide cc or mod that is not compatible with your current installed version of the game, like hiding old uncompatibled mod.

Then a tumblr like blog for content creators, complete with comment section and WCIF section. Tied with the database above. 

Galary to share screenshots. 

Easy to use, complete features, light, fast, beautiful and no ads (lol).

Archived