Unable to start FO4

begalund

So I was playing FO4 a few weeks back, everything was fine it was working like a champ, and I had no issues.  Due to some family health issues, I'm called out of town for a week, and then I don't manage to get back to the game for another few days after that.  I attempt to jump back in as normal, and F4SE is now a version behind. 

"To be expected," I think.  And I go about doing the typical thing of updating F4SE, LooksMenu and a couple of other mods that complain on startup.  I've done thins dozens of times.  And the updates are easy this time as well.

Only now I can't get back into the game.  I go to start it up and it just hangs.  I never get a menu.  I just get the initial bethesda logo and then a spinning cursor.  After 10  minutes I kill the process.  Try again.  Same issue.  Insanity ensues where I try like 5 or 6 times in a row hoping for a different outcome.  I manage to get into the game once, but it CTDs right after.  

Now at this point, normally the required  response from the audience would be to list my mods and mod order, and go over all the usual things like LOOT and installers and all of that.  But instead I'll tell you what I did instead and what the issue still is.

I wiped it.  Nuked the whole directory.  Cleaned the whole thing, cleaned out the save game area, and every trace of the game off my machine.  Told Steam to reload the game from scratch in a new directory.  Clean install.  No mods.  Just the base friggin' game (well and the DLCs) all by it's lonesome.  No HD textures pack though, since I wouldn't be using it in the long run.  

And the game still won't load up.  I can get into it once, and once only.  It generates the initial .ini files and  - if I continue to play from that initial setup, I can create a character.  and start the game.  But if I attempt to restart with anything in the C:\......\Documents\My Games\Fallout4 directory at all, then I just get the same Bethesda logo and spinning cursor problem.

So anybody got a clue WTF is going on?

not sure if this will help but had a bug a few days ago when i updated aff animation position tags, my game hung up with no logo and a black screen or would crash.

down graded to the previous version of the mod and bang game works fine again. heavily modded here so trying to figure out whats not getting along with the new one.

hope it helps?

7 hours ago, VonHelton said:

Have you deleted the files here?

<user name>\AppData\Local\Fallout4

?

Yeah, tried that too.  I have no idea  what the hell is up at this point.  I've looked on the Steam forums, asked for Bethesda's help, nothing.  At this point, shy of another computer rebuild, I've got nothing.

Archived