How to make a hireable follower

Ezarr

Hey guys,

I'm making follower mod and I want to make it so that the first time he meets the player he will fight you, like Uthgerd the Unbroken. And once you beat him, the option of hire him will become available.

Could someone help me with this? Link me some guides or tutorials?

If you know the basics to create a follower (if not check my guide), then the things you need to do.

1) Be sure it will attack the player (make its faction an enemy of player faction) or just make it friendly (no special faction) and wait the player to attack it.

2) be sure it is marked as protected

3) Add a script to Actor or to a ReferenceAlias of the Actor, and use the event OnEnterBleedOut()

In this event change the player relationship and a flag (like a conditional variable) that will make possible to hire it.

(Condition the hiring dialogue line with the conditional variable or the faction of the actor)

After I spent a lot of time searching on how to make a hire-able follower ("hireling") I found that none of the guides cover how to do this with a custom voiced follower. They just explain how to do it by duplicating and editing vanilla dialogue which could lead to a lot of compatibly issues, that is if you pretend to share your follower mod with the community. The rest were just a lot of unresolved threads. So my conclusion is, if you have this idea for your follower mod, DROP IT right now. It's not worth it. I'm just trying to save you guys all of the time I spent searching on this topic.

Conclusion 2:

- If you want to make a hireling using vanilla voices: You can, but may have compatibility issues.

- If you want to make a hireling using using custom voice, It's impossible, you better move on.

Spoiler
5 hours ago, Ezarr said:

After I spent a lot of time searching on how to make a hire-able follower ("hireling") I found that none of the guides cover how to do this with a custom voiced follower. They just explain how to do it by duplicating and editing vanilla dialogue which could lead to a lot of compatibly issues, that is if you pretend to share your follower mod with the community. The rest were just a lot of unresolved threads. So my conclusion is, if you have this idea for your follower mod, DROP IT right now. It's not worth it. I'm just trying to save you guys all of the time I spent searching on this topic.

Conclusion 2:

- If you want to make a hireling using vanilla voices: You can, but may have compatibility issues.

- If you want to make a hireling using using custom voice, It's impossible, you better move on.

I hate to be a naysayes (or am I being a yeasayer?) but Darkfox127 has excellent videos on just these topics. This is the first in the seriess

He specifically has ones for hirelings and custom voices.

8 hours ago, Psalam said:

I hate to be a naysayes (or am I being a yeasayer?) but Darkfox127 has excellent videos on just these topics.

I know Darkfox127, his videos have helped me a lot on creating custom followers. But in this case, I don't want to just make a follower but to make it a hireling also. Darkfox127 has a tutorial for this but his method just covers vanilla voiced followers and not custom voiced ones, like many of the guides I came across. See I'm not whining for the sake of whining. I already spent lots of time on this topic.

Spoiler
2 minutes ago, Ezarr said:

I know Darkfox127, his videos have helped me a lot on creating custom followers. But in this case, I don't want just to make a follower but to make it a hireling also. Darkfox127 has a tutorial for this but his method just cover vanilla voices followers and not custom voiced ones, like many of the guides I came across. See I'm not whining for the sake of whining. I already spent lots of time on this topic.

And I do not intentionally mean to be abrasive but I have watched the video on custom voiced followers by Darkfox127 twice in the last three days. I have not looked at the video but in his list he entitles another video "making a hireling." I think that the subject of that is the other half of what you want

Archived