What's the news on Clean Saving?

Santr

As far as I know, works still the same way as when doing a clean save for FO3 or FONV, which has worked for me when doing clean saves with Skyrim. Which is, if you're say--updating a mod, deactivate the mod, start the game and then save and quit, then dl the update and naturally activate it, and then lastly start up the game again with that new save. And presto, you've just updated a mod with a clean save. Not sure where that's changed, or why that still doesn't work--because it works fine for me (and is also how modders to this day often tell you to create a clean save in regards to their mods). Is there something that changes that? Because the scripting doesn't really effect the save that drastically. :huh:

Er... Those are all problems going back 6 months now, whether or not they're still happening--I honestly haven't noticed. When I'm creating clean saves in the same classic way that's been done for years now (as I'm managing mods constantly, I'm juggling around 150+ mods (I'm not certain on the exact count, Skyrim NMM alone counts 120+ and I've manually installed at least 30+ more) in my current Skyrim game), still works fine for me in Skyrim, so I'm assuming it's not so much an issue now. There's been a couple updates since April (when the last post of that thread was made) and today. Although, I'll be honest, even around the time that thread was made--I still never noticed any issues when making clean saves. :P

the problem with used scripts are still exists. clean save with used scripts are quite impossible.

Really? Huh. Never noticed when updating my mods. The information from the update to the save always transfers without conflict of the old data from the previous version of the mod' date=' unlike what's been described. I'll have to take a gander at my papyrus to see if I have been having conflicts and I'd just been blissfully ignorant to it. But I haven't had any issues when using the old clean save method, like what they were talking about within that linked thread, where there was conflict with the old scripts from a mod to a new script from the updated mod, because the scripts have been attaching themselves to save files themselves. I'm not doubting it's happening, I'm just wondering exactly how severe the problem actually is. Because like I mentioned before, I manage a [b']lot[/b] of mods, and the only time I have had an actual issue is when I personally do something stupid with them, and it's not just luck that causes having minimal to no issues when managing well over a hundred mods (not really skill, either, though :P).

Because like I mentioned before' date=' I manage a [b']lot[/b] of mods, and the only time I have had an actual issue is when I personally do something stupid with them, and it's not just luck that causes having minimal to no issues when managing well over a hundred mods (not really skill, either, though :P).

The issue is not the number of mods involved but rather "which" mods are involved. If you install ones that contain loose scripts or ones buried in a bsa somewhere you could be up the creek so to speak.

Also the nature of the script and what it is doing can be a factor. It could just result in a periodic error message to your papyrus log, corrupt your save game, or it could cause an immediate CTD.

• 3 months later...

This topic should be pinned on the forums, it's rather an important problem and deserves to constantly remind us. Personally, I'd be happy to fork over money for someone or a team to work on finally vanquishing Orphan, ghost, whatever scripts that are left behind when you unsuspectingly remove a mod from your game. I'm sure there are other unfortunate souls out there who had to learn about this the hard-way such as myself.

I remain hopeful and optimistic. I won't keep ranting about this problem which has existed ever since Morrowind, but I think this topic needs a pinned thread.

With a lot of good script heavy mods you can deactivate the scripts in game; some from power tabs, some from MCM. I'm hoping more modders pick up this tread so we can have an easier time of making clean saves.

Much I am aware of, most of my problems are from what I call, "Skyrim's Archaic Age of modding" I read you have a boss hour of 900+ hours of gameplay somewhere, which I truly admire and even more so if you have been modding your game through-out all that time. My one and only character clocked in at 300 hours or so has been around since Skyrim was first released, I have tried my hardest to remain diligent at keeping the save clean while enjoying mods, but I am finally beginning to feel the pressure of those darn scripts my naive self and unresponsible modders have left for present-me. Dillegence... my dillegence just faltered due to imperfection. *sigh* I just can't afford to start a new character and all that, and Skyrim for me is not dynamic enough of a game to have to start all over again.

Yeah, I constantly roll new toons; I wanna try a new dynamic mod (like skyre) gotta make a dynamic sacrifice. Doesn't mean I don't back up my saves though. I think I have every character but my first 2. My first character being a vanilla run though. Second being a modded from the "SAAoM" so losing both of them wasn't a problem; most of the quests broken from vanilla problems anyway.

My later characters where lucky enough to have had mostly clothing mods shoved into them until the modding software got better.

Skyrims wyre bash and batch patch are pretty weak compared to the oblivion ~ fonv versions so its hard to get anything not to conflict but the level lists. Since at the time I only used boss, nmm, and wrye bash you can see how I would need new characters every once in a while.

I have to remake my merged patch, bashed patch, and ASIS every time I want to change my load order now; so I'm careful to get it right and make clean saves so I don't have to go conflict digging. Now I just remake my old characters without modding misfortunes and pretty textures.

I'll just drop this here...

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/31675/

Unfortunately, it's a high-risk method that's best used only as a last resort, and thus not recommended for those who are not accustomed to hex editors or advanced-level techniques. Basically it just zeroes the papyrus portion of the gamesave, which could cause some problems with existing mods and/or gameplay.

FIXED !

This is now a fixable problem!  (But not by me).

While checking into the latest updates to SKSE I noticed they added a new command to the console:

ClearInvalidRegistrations

That command will clean up those orphaned scripts (I suggest you not have any version of the mod those scripts came with loaded when you use it).

I have already had a user of one of my mods use this to fix the loaded scripts problem in one of his saves.

The instructions I gave were:

Disable all mods with scripts in your save that you know are hosed (you should use the papyrus logging to determine that)

Start Skyrim and load your troubled save

Open the console

Enter the new command:

Close the console

Wait a couple of Game hours

Wait a couple of Real World minutes

Save the hopefully cleansed game

exit Skyrim

Enable papyrus logging

Start Skyrim

Load the cleansed save

Fiddle around for a bit doing nothing of great significance.

Exit Skyrim

Check the Papyrus log to verify your game is now cleansed.

Re-enabled the mods you disabled above.

The instructions I gave were:

Disable all mods with scripts in your save that you know are hosed (you should use the papyrus logging to determine that)

Start Skyrim and load your troubled save

Open the console

Enter the new command:

Close the console

Wait a couple of Game hours

Wait a couple of Real World minutes

Save the hopefully cleansed game

exit Skyrim

Enable papyrus logging

Start Skyrim

Load the cleansed save

Fiddle around for a bit doing nothing of great significance.

Exit Skyrim

Check the Papyrus log to verify your game is now cleansed.

Re-enabled the mods you disabled above.

Ah, this must be the experimental cleaner I have been hearing about. In the time being, the cleaner appears to be doing a grand work. I will further stress test the "cleaned save" to get closure

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an actual page or blog of some sort that I can follow regarding skse and their daring attempt to produce significant work into a bloat cleaner? I'm sucking at operating pappy Google as of late.

the place to look is on beth's forums they have a multi thread topic there for skse.

here is the thread:http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1438692-wipz-skyrim-script-extender-skse/

guess they have a beta out for skyrim 1.9 beta patch.

those guys work fast.

Archived