For review: Intro to scripting

I've been working on a comprehensive guide to FNV scripting.
It's meant to take people from the very, very basics up to intermediate level. Ie: everything not in the NVSE tuts.
I have to put it on hold a while. I have far too many tabs open in my text editor.

Meanwhile, everybody should feel free to share their thoughts and additions. Try to be in suggesting mode if you edit the main text.

It's a raw copy-paste, so the layout's not all that, but hey...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CAI9XPfbRochTzD9m26M5VgCLEdmejXjJvRF0mds_QQ/edit?usp=sharing

Well, some complexity is bound to set in, ofc.

A guide like Odessa's is practical, and good for people dipping their toe in the water, but in the end, if you want to go forward, you need to understand a little better how things work exactly. Mine has more 'theory', although I do hope most of it's true ^^

My GoogleDocs is set up incorrectly, so editing will give people my full name, instead of my nickname. I tried to fix it, but stupid Google doesn't allow nicknames, once it has your real name. So I'll put my suggestions.questions and stuff here:

2.1 The following page also has decent how-to-get started instructions, but fails to stress the importance of installing your Steam folder anywhere but under "Program Files"

"DO NOT INSTALL FNV OR GECK INTO PROGRAM FILES/STEAM"... Needs big exclamation marks, bold, fontsize 20, in my opinion.

3. To add to the discussion

My mods edit formidlists of other mods directly. 1: Because I was a noob when I started with MPO, 2 because my mods tend to be huge. (dynamic updating would take a long time and a lot of coding) 3 MPO is an ESM (ESP with master flag) 4: Even my other tiny mod 'RemoveWorkstationNeeds' needs to clear out 8 formidlists, and I don't know how to remove all forms dynamically from a formidlist.

I will keep in mind to dynamically add to formidlists in the future, should such an occurance happen.

One additional thing I'd like to point out, is that WryeFlash is very good at merging changes made to formidlists by multiple plugins. But as far as I know this only goes for plugins that directly edit formidlists. So that's an argument to do it directly.

4.2.1 question from me. I assume scripts attached to 'weapons' and 'armors' are 'Independent scripts'?

I 'browsed' the chapters after 5, as it was getting to detailed for me. (Note that I do have a programmer background, so I'm familiar with scripting in general)

thanks for the input

3. As Roy says there, especially deleting stuff from formlists is better done as a geck edit indeed. I do think there are advantages to doing certain things by script rather than geck edits, but will reshape that part to be a bit less absolute.

4.2.1. Yes. 'independent' is just a way of saying they're actual, separate forms - compared to being embedded in another, like result scripts are

Feel free to revisit the rest at any time. It's obviously a bit much to go through in one sitting. I should add a note on that in the introduction.