Weird Temperatures according to OpenHardwareMonitor

command88+

I downlaoded Open hardware monitor to keep an eye on my PCs temperature.

there is one Position that i don't unterstand:

My MSI Z97 PC Mate(MS-7850) (mainboard?) has an under-catergory called Nuvoton NCT6779D. No idea what that is but it has 5 TEmperature settings:

CPU Core, TEmperature #1, "#2, "#3, "#4 and "#6. No temperature #5

THe Temperatures of Core, and #2 are around  40°C but #3 is only at 18°, #4 is at more than 100° but #6 is at -20°Celsius. 3 ,4 and 6 make absolutely no sense to me. What could that mean

The Nuvoton NCT6779D is an I/O Chip used to read and forward various sensors Like Temperatures, duty-cycle, Voltages...

You can also use it to control fan-Speeds.

I don't know what MSI uses this chip for on your board, they might not even use all it's inputs.

Your HW-Monitor does not now either, it just assumes they are thermal sensors and displays the value.

The way-off-Inputs might not be connected to anything so the maximum/minimum values are read and displayed.

They might not even be actual thermals, 18 Degrees does not seem likely to me, unless your system is in a fridge.

The I/O simply gives a readout between 0 and 255 which is then matched to whatever the sensor is suppose to measure.

Disconnecting a sensor from the I/O will result in a readout of 0 or 255.

The sensors might just getting used to determinate if something is on or off.

See also https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/132942-open-hardware-monitor-nuvoton-nct6779d-sensor-temps/

Doesn't MSI provides their own Monitor/Overclocking software?

If anybody knows what sensors there are on the board, and what they are used for i should be them.

I had no luck with any 3rd party software so far, when it comes to my board.

Half of the sensors don't show up, ant those who do display bullshit values.

I need to stick to stick to the original software to monitor my temps and control the fans.

Archived