Library system

smollett

I think we all run into that tragic case where we suddenly realize we have far too many DOA mods. On a recent computer crash and recovery, I wiped my old library and started again but this time I wanted to do something unique and create a curated library for AutoLink and Ink_Reshuffle. I've thought a lot about how I want to do this, basically I want to be able to find a certain outfit without going through mountains of searching. A good example is, I put all my swimsuits into outfits 5-7, all collection outfits into 7-10, and individual outfits into 1-3.  Something like that where if I want to have a theme, I can easily find that theme outfit for all the characters (or those that have it).

This however requires a lot of "gardening" beforehand. If I grab all of FunnyBunny's wonderful mods...I'm basically spending a whole day moving files about and renaming them if they overwrite each other. 

With all this in mind, I'd like to see how other people collect, store, and curate their growing mod collection. I think the general mod programs are AutoLink and Ink_Reshuffle so any method using either is welcome. Also, if you have batch processes that help you move bulk files then I encourage you to share. I use FreeCommander's rather nice bulk rename function as it provides a fairly easy way to graphically rename hordes of files in a single stroke with a decent amount of filters.

-S

2 hours ago, smollett said:

I think we all run into that tragic case where we suddenly realize we have far too many DOA mods. On a recent computer crash and recovery, I wiped my old library and started again but this time I wanted to do something unique and create a curated library for AutoLink and Ink_Reshuffle. I've thought a lot about how I want to do this, basically I want to be able to find a certain outfit without going through mountains of searching. A good example is, I put all my swimsuits into outfits 5-7, all collection outfits into 7-10, and individual outfits into 1-3.  Something like that where if I want to have a theme, I can easily find that theme outfit for all the characters (or those that have it).

This however requires a lot of "gardening" beforehand. If I grab all of FunnyBunny's wonderful mods...I'm basically spending a whole day moving files about and renaming them if they overwrite each other. 

With all this in mind, I'd like to see how other people collect, store, and curate their growing mod collection. I think the general mod programs are AutoLink and Ink_Reshuffle so any method using either is welcome. Also, if you have batch processes that help you move bulk files then I encourage you to share. I use FreeCommander's rather nice bulk rename function as it provides a fairly easy way to graphically rename hordes of files in a single stroke with a decent amount of filters.

-S

Is there any sense in keeping all 6000 or 7000 mods that are already made for DOA, along with the game itself?
Surely you use only a few percent of them. The rest simply lie dead weight and significantly lengthen the loading time of the game.
In addition, many old mods simply will never load in the newest version, because the requirements for file size have become much tougher.

5 minutes ago, Baralgin said:

Is there any sense in keeping all 6000 or 7000 mods that are already made for DOA, along with the game itself?
Surely you use only a few percent of them. The rest simply lie dead weight and significantly lengthen the loading time of the game.
In addition, many old mods simply will never load in the newest version, because the requirements for file size have become much tougher.

I usually don't keep 6k worth of mods. That's a bit much. Normally I'll screen out a ton of them that may slip through (like in collections). Also ones that do not work I will remove from the list.  Still, I'm left with quite a few that need to be ordered. A few collections and individual items add up.

17 minutes ago, smollett said:

I usually don't keep 6k worth of mods. That's a bit much. Normally I'll screen out a ton of them that may slip through (like in collections). Also ones that do not work I will remove from the list.  Still, I'm left with quite a few that need to be ordered. A few collections and individual items add up.

Do you plan to subsequently give everyone access to your collection or do you this work exclusively for yourself?

BTW, those old mods that refuse to work in the latest version, you dont hurry to delete, because they can be remade and made workable.

To release them as I've collected them would be highly unlikely. Lots of different creators out there and asking each and every one of them for permission would be a pain. 

The purpose for the post is to really see how everyone else collects their stuff, share/exchange any tools or ideas on how they maintain that library. I can't be the only neat freak here with a lot of mods. ?

What would be cool is someone comes along and makes a Mod Organizer (Skyrim) type software for DOA complete with easy installer that sends groups of packaged TMC/TMCL files to a library and then applies it to the AutoLink folder. I also want a solid gold toilet.....

13 hours ago, smollett said:

To release them as I've collected them would be highly unlikely. Lots of different creators out there and asking each and every one of them for permission would be a pain. 

The purpose for the post is to really see how everyone else collects their stuff, share/exchange any tools or ideas on how they maintain that library. I can't be the only neat freak here with a lot of mods. ?

What would be cool is someone comes along and makes a Mod Organizer (Skyrim) type software for DOA complete with easy installer that sends groups of packaged TMC/TMCL files to a library and then applies it to the AutoLink folder. I also want a solid gold toilet.....

I know a cure for such desires, but I will not say...  :) 

You can use the rule "if you are silent, then you agree".

As for the other collectors. If you want to really see, here you are:

• 1 month later...

Sorry, but I just do not see the point in making such collections. You can make millions of different mods with unique combinations of individual items, why? If you want to use all this for the future of modding, it's easier to collect not the mods, but the parts from which they are composed. Or even textures and meshes.

17 hours ago, siaj said:

Some of us do not have the talent/skills/resources/motivations for making mods, only using and enjoying them.

I understand when a person collects the mods that he likes, but when he collects everything? They only take up space on the hard drive, and in 5-10 years will not be needed by anyone, because then there will be very different games and other mods.DOA5LR will seem to us a very antediluvian game with primitive graphics and a funny gameplay.

I sorta agree with you John. In Skyrim I collected pieces/parts and built my own.  I've tried that in DOA as well but it was a lot of trouble getting everything matched up and it became a headache.

What would be nice to to create an easy outfit studio which does most of this.  So far the tools here are close...but I still can't get it to work right and after a while I just enjoy everyone else's creation.  Maybe one day in DOA 6 or 7....

Cheers for the bump!

Archived