15 hours ago, jxm said:

Hi, those pics so far look quite amazing, wish other mods would be as detailed...but it alos looks damn ambitious. I wish you luck and willpower not to lose interest. And that you don't run into some corner if things don't work out ^^

Anyway, of course you will have plans of your own about what the mods should feature, how big and elaborate the quests will be, or what kind of characters you want to have...but I guess its okay if we post stuff/ideas. I usually just throw all the stuff into threads like this that cross my mind. I am no modder myself, so I have NO CLUE what works, or how much work and time it would cost ^^

So ... what I would find kinda cool:

I like a lot of your ideas ... I'm going to poach the rival pirate faction ... they would have to be associated with Maven Black-Briar in order for it to link in with what I want to do, but, since I don't want to actually kill real TG members, this would give us a nice target faction to attack.  Bridge is very much an Ulfric type character. A pirate with a mission and set of ethos. 

As to the courtesan line ... I should probably rename this - it is more dark brotherhood than brothel in nature. Yes, she opens 'brothels' but they are fronts for spying. I will amend the description tomorrow. I have in mind that the courtesan is no one's victim. She may need to learn the tricks of her trade, but this is an intentional choice for her ... very black widow, femme fatale, honey trap, assassin-like ... always targeted clients, never in a brothel (unless on a mission). She uses her sexual appeal as a means to gain power and access. Some of the famous courtesans of history wielded extraordinary power and influence ... I am making sure that the courtesan play-style in this mod is empowered. Sex as a weapon. She exploits the desires of her opponents in order to expose their weaknesses - then she goes in for the kill.  If she actually kills someone, it is an assassination (which she pins on someone else, of course), not a battle.  

I like the idea of losing trust and having to regain it ... not sure how to do that but definitely worth checking out. 

One of the real challenges is the issue of 'choice' for the player ... dialogue is one thing, but if it is different 'action' (i.e. to use sex or to engage in combat) that poses more difficulty since it affects down stream dialogue or actions ... I want to give choices since, as a player, I like to have choices, but I confess I find it daunting. ... hmmm ... maybe I can use the TG style of radiant quests to give the player choice ... make the decision at the time of quest giving, not during the quest itself. That I should be able to do. 

Anyway, thanks for the comments and ideas ... and definitely toss ideas out there ... until I actually start writing the quests in the CK, the ideas from you guys just helps me give form and substance to the ideas I already have planned ... as you can see, I brainstorm in public so I see no reason we can't all do it together. :)

20 hours ago, cailic said:

I would suggest a plug for the mod since such an addition could cause instabililty issues.  I know I have had issues with the movable ships mods.  Hmm... That may have been before I stabalized Skyrim using STEP.  Oh, and as far as plugs are concerned, it would be nice to have options in one esp.  Uhh.. since my attempt to explain it failed (deleted attempt), make it so there is only one esp we have to load.  One version with the plug and one without.  Ya.... I think that explains what I'm trying to say.  I'm always on the verge of maxing out my mods as it is.  It's a real bummer when you have to pick and choose.

And... under the arch for the ship sounds like a good idea.  I do not remember any mods that I have tried that would conflict with that location.  I don't know about People of Skyrim though.  Really nice mod but too many performance issues.

Anyway, I'm glad to see you have a lot of energy for this.  I'm kinda exited to see what you do here. 

mmhmm ... totally agree about using one esp if possible. This will work fine with a STEP setup, btw.  I use it (well, most of it) myself. 

Ok, I'm just curious, Instead of writing multiple different versions of the esp, in reference to what I sugested earlier, would it be possible to put all your plugs and main mod in one esp and then activate the plugs you like through MCM, without activating the scripts for the plugs you do not want?  I don't know how Skyrim starts scripts, if they begin running on startup or if you need to call to them from a quest.

I kinda wish I had endured the headaches in trying to figure out Skyrim modding..... kinda.

1 hour ago, cailic said:

Ok, I'm just curious, Instead of writing multiple different versions of the esp, in reference to what I sugested earlier, would it be possible to put all your plugs and main mod in one esp and then activate the plugs you like through MCM, without activating the scripts for the plugs you do not want?  I don't know how Skyrim starts scripts, if they begin running on startup or if you need to call to them from a quest.

I kinda wish I had endured the headaches in trying to figure out Skyrim modding..... kinda.

hi, if I use a thing called a FOMOD installer (had to look it up ...lol) then people can pick which plug-ins to install and do some customization at the time they activate the mod in NMM ... I think.  As to the scripts, I am pretty sure I can just call them when needed as opposed to leaving them running.  I hope to avoid a lot of scripts running in the background since most of us already run script intensive mods. I guess we will figure this out as we go along ... :) 

Update:

Normal AI packages and behaviors running now. Yay! And for those following along, I even got my stupid beggar to sit down where he is supposed to. 

Also, tested my concept for the Notice Board functionality and it works. So happy right now. Here's some pics of the latest. 

PC Praying at the Temple of the Betrayed

prayingtothebetrayed.thumb.jpg.27d6b52e691d4e000bb6f1906731933c.jpg

Stupid Beggar

stupidbeggar.thumb.jpg.3896d1dc3e98970262449f9ccbb48e9b.jpg

Guard Resting ... this is Lars. I think he is kind of cute. :)

guardresting.thumb.jpg.3a703dc055fcfc16c23d5bcf701f8156.jpg

Guard reading Notice Board

guardatnoticeboard.thumb.jpg.39a6c2ebbec55d9686207b13224c7a1a.jpg

Slaves in slave pen ... these are t.ara zbf assets and work really well

slavesinthecells.thumb.jpg.e54b6875f6f7aaeac66075942fcc97dc.jpg

Butcher at work

butcheratwork.thumb.jpg.acd010080b6d471469b9ae635aa2756f.jpg

Notice Board pics (I still need to restrict the player from putting things in the notice board but that is an easy fix):

noticeboardsearch.thumb.jpg.8af0471067ef2722be5dea3d8618dea2.jpg

noticeboardcontents.thumb.jpg.f2f6590c5d7b0873d7560c2fe6a0db49.jpg

noticeboardtestnote.thumb.jpg.53e461ddb63c374c3fa50cc3cb7d887b.jpg

2 hours ago, cailic said:

Not to sound pushy or anything..... but...... Is it done yet?

lol ... not yet ... it is just me on this big mod .... please be patient ?

BUT ... I am working on the non-guild based city side quests right now so I can release it for you all to play in while I am working on the guild quests.  These are just little get-to-know-your-neighbour quests ... similar to favour quests ... plus I want the brothel and arena at least sketched in because, without them, the Bay will just feel like any other town mod you can download from Nexus.  I need the side/favour quests in there so we can test the notice board and make sure it is working properly. 

As soon as I have the brothel and arena mechanics done I will release a test/WIP version ... baring any significant issues, I hope to have it avail for testing within week 

44 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

lol ... not yet ... it is just me on this big mod .... please be patient ?

BUT ... I am working on the non-guild based city side quests right now so I can release it for you all to play in while I am working on the guild quests.  These are just little get-to-know-your-neighbour quests ... similar to favour quests ... plus I want the brothel and arena at least sketched in because, without them, the Bay will just feel like any other town mod you can download from Nexus.  I need the side/favour quests in there so we can test the notice board and make sure it is working properly. 

As soon as I have the brothel and arena mechanics done I will release a test/WIP version ... baring any significant issues, I hope to have it avail for testing within week 

lol.  I'm patient, but also a little anxious.

8 minutes ago, cailic said:

lol.  I'm patient, but also a little anxious.

me too! A tad nervous that it took me four hours to sort out the AI on my stupid beggar ... if that is any indication of time consuming weird glitches then I am very afraid. lol 

Cross your fingers

This looks to be a very promising mod.  I'm very interested to see where it will eventually lead.  I think keeping the Bridgers to more pirate oriented themes may be the wiser choice while making the Courtesan line its own unique thing.  Your description of her reminds of the brothels run by the Sa'kage in Brent Weeks's Night Angel trilogy or the Priestesses in the book Bad Prince Charlie.  I think I am most intrigued by what you choose to do there.

2 hours ago, mercplatypus said:

This looks to be a very promising mod.  I'm very interested to see where it will eventually lead.  I think keeping the Bridgers to more pirate oriented themes may be the wiser choice while making the Courtesan line its own unique thing.  Your description of her reminds of the brothels run by the Sa'kage in Brent Weeks's Night Angel trilogy or the Priestesses in the book Bad Prince Charlie.  I think I am most intrigued by what you choose to do there.

I am unfamiliar with those references. I will check it out for sure. :)

The second book is fairly old.  Too old to have a wiki even.  It was a comedy where the previous king had passed away and the dukes decided to put Prince Charlie, who was an alright sort that didn't want power, on the throne promising him that he would have a short reign if he went out of his way to be a "bad" king.  The dukes wanted to sell the kingdom, which had the value of a sack of rocks to another.

Eventually he ends up going to see the High Priestess (she wasn't in charge just stoned) who acted as a soothsayer making predictions.  Eventually when Charlie was being chased by mobs with pitchforks he goes back to the priestess and found that she couldn't actually see the future.  She and her fellow priestesses were simply part of a massive spy ring using the not so holy sisters and concubines to spy on everyone who came for their services.  Then the people behind the curtains made predictions based off of what was uncovered and passed them along as "prophecies" that sold for a fairly hefty sum.  The High Priestess was mostly there to be stoned and charge extra with her mystique. Its entertaining as hell if you ever get the chance to read it.

The Night Angel trilogy was much more serious and you should be able to get the cliffs notes version pretty easy.  The main kingdom it takes place in has a massive organized crime syndicate known as the Sa'kage which operates like a mafia.  The leader turned out to be the lady who ran the brothels using her prostitutes as spies and eventually, after the city was occupied, as the first wave in bloody revolution slitting throats of occupying soldiers when the locals were organized enough to reclaim their city.

6 minutes ago, mercplatypus said:

The second book is fairly old.  Too old to have a wiki even.  It was a comedy where the previous king had passed away and the dukes decided to put Prince Charlie, who was an alright sort that didn't want power, on the throne promising him that he would have a short reign if he went out of his way to be a "bad" king.  The dukes wanted to sell the kingdom, which had the value of a sack of rocks to another.

Eventually he ends up going to see the High Priestess (she wasn't in charge just stoned) who acted as a soothsayer making predictions.  Eventually when Charlie was being chased by mobs with pitchforks he goes back to the priestess and found that she couldn't actually see the future.  She and her fellow priestesses were simply part of a massive spy ring using the not so holy sisters and concubines to spy on everyone who came for their services.  Then the people behind the curtains made predictions based off of what was uncovered and passed them along as "prophecies" that sold for a fairly hefty sum.  The High Priestess was mostly there to be stoned and charge extra with her mystique. Its entertaining as hell if you ever get the chance to read it.

The Night Angel trilogy was much more serious and you should be able to get the cliffs notes version pretty easy.  The main kingdom it takes place in has a massive organized crime syndicate known as the Sa'kage which operates like a mafia.  The leader turned out to be the lady who ran the brothels using her prostitutes as spies and eventually, after the city was occupied, as the first wave in bloody revolution slitting throats of occupying soldiers when the locals were organized enough to reclaim their city.

Nice. I will definitely track down the Night Angel cliff notes (and books). I have been making my quest notes on the Courtesan line and am really liking how it is progressing. Due to comments in this thread, I have separated it from the Bridgers ... mostly (Libby is still our entry point and lore giver)... I like the interconnection of the two guilds - pirates and courtesans - as mutually beneficial, yet with possibly conflicting goals ... could lead to interesting choices and tested loyalties; especially if involved in a romance (or two).

The new Courtesan guild will be called Pearls and they are definitely a threat to the Dark Brotherhood. Their roots harken back to a much older tradition in Tamriel ... I'll let you fill in the blank on that one. ;)

If a player is the head of the Pearls and has control of the TG, then they are the true criminal overlord of Skyrim ... and maybe something much morel? 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been lurking around here for several years now and I felt compelled to make an account just to indicate how awesome I think this project sounds. I've always wanted that courtesan style of ganeplay for my characters but I've never been able to really get it - until now, at least. I wish you all the luck I can in completing this.

While I'm here, I suppose I'll ask: is there any BDSM content planned, and if so, to what level? (light, hardcore, etc)

2 hours ago, Bulkhead said:

I've been lurking around here for several years now and I felt compelled to make an account just to indicate how awesome I think this project sounds. I've always wanted that courtesan style of ganeplay for my characters but I've never been able to really get it - until now, at least. I wish you all the luck I can in completing this.

While I'm here, I suppose I'll ask: is there any BDSM content planned, and if so, to what level? (light, hardcore, etc)

I'm honoured. Thank you. There will be light to medium BDSM content in the prostitute/courtesan line ... however, there will be more hardcore BDSM in the prison (Brigg/Bloodworks) and possibly the arena. The player will also encounter some BDSM content in some of the side quests. Hope that helps. 

EDIT: I also plan to have BDSM options in the brothel so a PC can purchase specialized services that will include BDSM (dom or sub).

quick update: ran into some problems with my NPCs so minor set back on timing. I have received permission from some of the incredibly talented modders on this website to use some of their scripts (or at least to borrow heavily) and should be able to pick up the pace.  I will post some pics of the new NPCs later today or tomorrow. 

I've attached a small teaser of the Bridger / Thieves Guild hooks ... these are just the radiant quests / city influence quests and function in a similar manner to the radiant quests Vex and Devlin give out.  In the table, the first column is traditional TG and second column is the new Bridger quest. Unless a quest is designated as drug/alcohol or pirate related, it is a prostitution or sex based quest (except the city influence quests).  For example, the ones with a persuade check can be 'solved' by charming your way into a NPCs house, doing the naughty, then stealing them blind while they sleep. You know, pirate-y type stuff.

1529078911_SmallJobs.thumb.jpg.6d99fd56a82e0b097d9246efef95111b.jpg