Is my rig bad? - Need help with system.

MsMadison

Need help trying to figure out if my rig is bad or not, lately I feel like my computer has been preforming lower than it should. 

Graphics Card:  AMD Raedon R9 380 4GB

Processor: AMD FX-4130 Quad Core 3.8 Ghz

Motherboard: MSI MS 7974.

Monitor: AOC monitor, 1600x900 32 bit. (Upgrading soon.)

Memory: 8192MB RAM

I have been playing games like Overwatch capped at 60 FPS. But when I get into Skyrim, or WoW, or even SWTOR my FPS starts tanking even alone in very secluded areas and it's really confusing. 

It's also worrying to me, with Mass Effect Andromeda coming up soon, and Star Citizen on the distant horizon. Do I need to upgrade?

Some suggestions... If you have noticed a performance drop but haven't changed any hardware recently. It could be due to be a software issue or you might have some spyware lurking and running scripts to feed you adverts etc. If you're seeing freezes in games or blue screens and you're sure its not software related. Check your system and graphics cards fans as if they stop or get clogged with fluff, your system will overheat. I agree that more memory would help but you should eliminate everything else before you throw money at the problem.  :D

more than enough ram (for now), decent gpu (for now) but cpu is crap. modern unoptimized games and pretty much all bethesda games are cpu heavy. i predict that for new aaa titles like star citizen u will need i7 (even second gen should do though) for now 4th gen and up i3 is usually enough beside bethesda games ofc. for star citizen u will probably need also at least gtx 1060 or 980.

amd cpus are just really bad, they will bottleneck even 380.

MsMadison!

I've read your post, and this is what I think about it.

1., The first thing you should do is clean you rig. Take out the GPU, PSU, CPU fan(s) and clean them. You could put new thermal paste on your CPU, but I doubt it will solve your problem.

2.,If the first point didn't solved the problem, then I would reinstall SWTOR and WoW. And close the Firefox/Chrome.

3., Do a complete Virus Scan. If you do this, the I suggest to take out the HDD and put it in a second PC and use the second PC's OS to run the Scan. The windows cannot Scan itself properly, since there are files it cannot acces while the Windows is running.

4., Windows reinstall.

The 4th should solve your problem. Why? You are using a quad-core 3,8GHz CPU and Overwatch has 60FPS. I am using an old Intel C2D E-8400 CPU (dual core, 3GHz) with GTX670 and 8 GB RAM. For me Overwatch runs at 45-75 FPS (as long as it's above 30 I'm happy, I became a gamer, when 640X480 was a great resolution and 1024X768 was High-End resolution).

Your CPU outperforming the one I have is good, since it shows, that your CPU can handle the load. SWTOR does not load the CPU as much as Overwatch. For me SWTOR only lagged, whe I was at the most crowded markets. So why is it, that your CPU underperforms in SWTOR and outperformy my CPU in Overwatch? The Game is bugged by the constant updates SWTOR gets or Windows is bugging or Virus.

P.S.1: I don't want to hear anyone telling me I rig is old. It served me well and I started and upgrade already. I got the new i5 CPU and 8GB DDR3 RAM, but I have problems getting a motherboard. The market is full of this ASROCK sh*t, so I have to hunt a motherborad that was made by a decent company.

P.S.2: In the long run you should upgrade your CPU. It is currently outperforms my C2D, but not by that much according to online tests, so it will have some troubles ME:Andromeda.

P.S.3: I have to agree with skyrimsucks. I fix a lot of PC as a part time job and AMDs are always giving me a headache. So personally I hate them. Intel/NVIDIA are more stable and have less buggy drivers, so I sticked to them, but I'm not a fanboy. It's just a buggy AMD, that gives me headaches or a stable Intel/NVIDIA. But if you are happy with it, then I'm happy too.

1. It's fairly apparent you need to purge your system back to square one.2. Your CPU is midline, and your RAM speed is probably midline also, based on the age of your motherboard.

Andromeda
is going to crush your system at max graphics, sorry; that has nothing to do with the age of your rig but rather how Frostbite scales with everything turned on, so if you're expecting to run at anything other than medium you're going to be sadface.

Star Citizen
is at least two years from final package launch so not only does that not matter, but there literally isn't a rig that exists to handle the game at max quality, because final specs aren't even a thing yet.

Skyrim with mods is a resource hog Star citizen is early access so I'd wait and see  wow should run on a toaster that's probably to do with drivers if there's heat you could try and change the thermal paste, if you can buy new hardware a 6600k is the best bang for buck the gfx should be fine for 2-3 more years.

Archived