Skyrim Special Edition or original Skyrim?

lambient1988

Your screenshots say nothing at all about 32bit Skyrim's fitness as a modding platform

what does player.placeatme skeleton 50 say to you about 64 bits skyrim's fitness as a modding platform?

It says zero,zip,zilch, nada to me about that. You carry on with your thing,  I'm just popping out to stare at the next door neighbour's freshly painted fence until it really thoroughly dries. I'll be back, promise!

One other thing that may be a factor for some is the DirectX9 bug for WIndows 10 that Microsoft seems unwilling to fix which limits your vram to 4GB.  If you have a video card that has more than that for Oldrim it does you no good.  SE doesn't have this problem because it uses a newer version of DirectX that doesn't have that bug. 

Your screenshots say nothing at all about 32bit Skyrim's fitness as a modding platform

what does player.placeatme skeleton 50 say to you about 64 bits skyrim's fitness as a modding platform?

Wait..

Are you seriously suggesting that 32bit Skryim better as a modding platform than SE? Oh dear god.. you have actually managed to convince yourself of your own unsupportable claims... there is no hope for you. You keep trying to prove your points based on the fallacy of your original assumptions which were in the first place.. entirely wrong!

I can tell you this from a modder author perspective.. SE is far better as a platform, because I don't have to artificially slow down papyrus calls in order that it works as it should. I don't have to worry about SetScale() just randomly causing a CTD, or FootIK just deciding that it doesn't like animations. It just works, consistently and reliably.

Wait..

Are you seriously suggesting that 32bit Skryim better as a modding platform than SE?

and where does i suggest that in that quote?

crashing using setscale? skeleton problem?

saw that when was messing around with sexlab psc i think, it's for the npc that don't have height 1.0

the first (and last) time i had the footik crash, that was loading an enderal save

that's how i find out that mod come with crash fix

and i also had to coc qasmoke before loading a save in enderal (was using a farm cell renamed qas)

don't have to worry about those either

what does 64 bits have to do with that anyway?

you didn't know what to wrote?

want some help from someone that don't even have sse?

the vid above, if a npc is 1mo and you player.placeatme npc 5000 with skyrim, you will crash (skyrim exe can't use 5 go)

how about placeatme 10 000 or 20 000 to crash with sse, to check how much of your cpu it use when it have stuff to do?

tga no longer supported? someone know a mod that use tga?

new nif format? someone have load sse with skyrim bsa architecture folder to check if there's a performance difference?

skyrim generate 256*256 tintmasks, sse generate 512*512 tintmasks (but you can generate 4k tintmasks with racemenu or npc editor...)

most skyrim textures are 1k, most sse texture are 2k (i'll stick to skyrim 2k noble amidian tamriel reload pfuscher rhds... i think)

oh wait, you have sse? finish the list, you know so much more than me that didn't switch at the release to wait 8 months for skse

It says zero,zip,zilch, nada to me about that. You carry on with your thing,  I'm just popping out to stare at the next door neighbour's freshly painted fence until it really thoroughly dries. I'll be back, promise!

Don't bother

Everytime anyone mentions keywords like daz/ poser or 32/64 bit he jumps ins, post useless batch of screenshots and tries to explain sth I can't even understand what.

Ofc my video is not a perfect 100% source of information, just did it for lels. Results will be varied depending on the load order, ini tweaks, texture mods and other stuff etc etc. Like you said if you modded the game you will know.

My msg behind it was different, also the amount of active actors has been increased from 32bit>64bit, which kinda helps performance in the cities. Say hello to "Populated mods series".

In short we will be able to enjoy orgies around the Whiterun in the silky smooth 60fps

I have a more powerful machine and it does not run oldrim at 40/60 with 200+ mods. But, as I pointed out before, the specific mods could make a difference. Are you running an ENB?

Then you are frankly doing something wrong, period, objectively speaking.

That's the problem with 'savants'. They know one area very very well backwards and forwards and come to the conclusion that such expertise applies to every other area than can ascertained as an absolute, when the reality of situation is said niche expertise is just and exactly that and nothing more.

64 can certainly handle more memory overhead with 500 npcs at stable frames but you slap 14 off and on state-cloaks on said NPCs and 64 will grind to a fucking halt, just like 32, no amount of dx11 frametime goodness can fix that, and as soon as SKSE64 is a thing, that will become immediately apparent.

There is also no fix for script-instance overflow in 64 and unless markdf or someone else gets a new table injection/replacement scheme for 64 there won't be one either, so that patrol mod that's so immersive now that it no longer causes memory issues that don't exist with a properly configured enb and crashfix is gently skullfucking your saves into irretrievable ctd territory because nothing about it is actually fixed, it just script resolves faster.

tBLXM.jpg

rXN1K.jpg

Mayhaps you should trade in that 'certified expert + apologism' hat for a 'abjectively subjective optimism with unfounded speculation' one.

and for the record the self-made ENB I'm using cuts my framerate by 60% because it uses cook-torrance shader code for lighting and indirect shading, so without it those 200+ mods would be running at about 180 fps.

At 4K.

One other thing that may be a factor for some is the DirectX9 bug for WIndows 10 that Microsoft seems unwilling to fix which limits your vram to 4GB.  If you have a video card that has more than that for Oldrim it does you no good.  SE doesn't have this problem because it uses a newer version of DirectX that doesn't have that bug.

not a bug - dx9 does not exist on win 10, dx9 games run in a compatibility layer that has to address VRAM the same way windows addresses system ram and because oldrim is 32 bit it is limited to 4GB by that addressing scheme

M$ is a corporation - even if they fix the issue they won't tell you before hand because it's not a bug

I have a more powerful machine and it does not run oldrim at 40/60 with 200+ mods. But, as I pointed out before, the specific mods could make a difference. Are you running an ENB?

Then you are frankly doing something wrong, period, objectively speaking.

If I am "doing something wrong" (which you have not established) then it is despite hundreds of hours modding. In other words, you are just proving my point even further.

"Getting it right" taking hundreds of hours is nothing to boast about. That is wasted life. With SE, you can do the same thing and get your hundreds of hours back to spend at the beach.

That's the problem with 'savants'. They know one area very very well backwards and forwards and come to the conclusion that such expertise applies to every other area than can ascertained as an absolute, when the reality of situation is said niche expertise is just and exactly that and nothing more.

O Gandalf of Sex Mods, what specific area of expertise have I spoken about that I do not understand?

64 can certainly handle more memory overhead with 500 npcs at stable frames but you slap 14 off and on state-cloaks on said NPCs and 64 will grind to a fucking halt, just like 32, no amount of dx11 frametime goodness can fix that, and as soon as SKSE64 is a thing, that will become immediately apparent.

A point that I have not contradicted in any way, shape or form.

In fact, I wrote earlier that SE can be crashed as well in a number of ways. However, the number of ways and abuse tolerance is noticeably improved.

Have you modded and played SE through?

Mayhaps you should trade in that 'certified expert + apologism' hat for a 'abjectively subjective optimism with unfounded speculation' one.

and for the record the self-made ENB I'm using cuts my framerate by 60% because it uses cook-torrance shader code for lighting and indirect shading, so without it those 200+ mods would be running at about 180 fps.

At 4K.

Still calling BS.

I already acknowledged that it could be done with certain mods and machine specs. That wasn't the point.

I guarantee that I could sit down at your machine and download 100 (let alone 200) mods from the top downloaded list and bog it down below 60 FPS. Then that same set of mods could be run on SE with better FPS and stability.

Again, who really wants to waste their life turning mods off and on rather than quickly plugging them in and playing the game? What mystical council of mod elders are you trying to impress with your meticulously preened over mod order? It's not a gain. It's a loss.

not a bug - dx9 does not exist on win 10, dx9 games run in a compatibility layer that has to address VRAM the same way windows addresses system ram and because oldrim is 32 bit it is limited to 4GB by that addressing scheme

M$ is a corporation - even if they fix the issue they won't tell you before hand because it's not a bug

Ahh that makes more sense.  I think Oldrim and maybe a heavily modded Fallout NV are the only games I have that might be affected.  Guess I'll find out when I upgrade my lowly 2GB card one of these days.

I wouldn't have bothered commenting at all If I hadn't run both products through their paces.

BS

Yes objective factual evidence of 32 running in Whiterun with Inqpc and 3DNPC with s666's hipoly duds at +60 frames must be a mirage. *wiggle fingers*

you should download crappy save destroying mods in abundance to prove my point

:lol:

also nice skate over the save issue.

Meanwhile, the facts are aside from volumetric lighting and properly dithered shadows 64 will never look as good as 32 unless dx11 buffer shader injection becomes a thing Boris + a team of contributors helping for over five years can do.

64 will be smoother thanks to dx11 frametimes, but it won't be faster and certainly not more dynamic and realistic with lighting and materials.

By your skewed metric it'll be better and more stable at loading crappy save destroying mods in plentiful numbers thus speeding up that ragequit factor at broken quests and non-responsive npcs all that much faster, and hey you can set ugrids to 20 so quests 5 miles from you can autocomplete and break and vampires can devour entire towns before you even see the town on the horizon, so that's a positive too, sure.

Meanwhile also in reality, mod adoption in SSE is far slower than 32's continued pace, and currently on steam 64 has less than half the population 32 does, and that says quite enough on the subjective section of the 'debate', such as it is.

we have no need to change the ugrids setting because SSE has an ini setting that does what people used ugrids for, loading terrain farther out and this setting does not load NPCs and such - a side effect of beth being forced to rewrite the render engine i would guess

if i find the page again i'll post a link

I wouldn't have bothered commenting at all If I hadn't run both products through their paces.

BS

Yes objective factual evidence of 32 running in Whiterun with Inqpc and 3DNPC with s666's hipoly duds at +60 frames must be a mirage. *wiggle fingers*

you should download crappy save destroying mods in abundance to prove my point

:lol:

also nice skate over the save issue.

Meanwhile, the facts are aside from volumetric lighting and properly dithered shadows 64 will never look as good as 32 unless dx11 buffer shader injection becomes a thing Boris + a team of contributors helping for over five years can do.

64 will be smoother thanks to dx11 frametimes, but it won't be faster and certainly not more dynamic and realistic with lighting and materials.

By your skewed metric it'll be better and more stable at loading crappy save destroying mods in plentiful numbers thus speeding up that ragequit factor at broken quests and non-responsive npcs all that much faster, and hey you can set ugrids to 20 so quests 5 miles from you can autocomplete and break and vampires can devour entire towns before you even see the town on the horizon, so that's a positive too, sure.

Meanwhile also in reality, mod adoption in SSE is far slower than 32's continued pace, and currently on steam 64 has less than half the population 32 does, and that says quite enough on the subjective section of the 'debate', such as it is.

"objective factual evidence of"  A SPECIFIC SET OF MODS running like that. Again, straw man argument. I acknowledged that this could be possible from the beginning. Not the point.

And now we learn what your real argument is. Many mods that appear on the top downloaded list are just crappy mods. In other words, "doing something wrong" by your definition includes actually using mods that tens of thousands of people want to use.

And SE runs them better as you admit.

And you are defending oldrim how exactly?

Why is this thread still running?

The Skyrim SE has absolutely nothing beyond some half-functioning ported mods. Give it a year or two, depending on SKSE64's pace and the community's response, you might have a better modding environment.

Unless if all you want is a basic set of mainstream mods, then feel free to use SE now.

Skyrim LE has an incomparable amount more choice in what you want to do and if you set things up right it will run just fine, people spent a lot of time trying to fix the problems of an "old" game and I feel they did a pretty damn good job.

Don't raise your expectations on this new amazing DX11, 64bit engine. Newer stuff just means newer problems. Things aren't going to magically become super easy and smooth with 10000 mod capacity and constant 60fps with no bugs, memory leaks or CTDs. So whatever argument you have about skyrim's new wheels making it the best thing ever are pretty much invalid.

Oh and one last thing regarding all this talk of performance.

500+ installed mods, 300+ plugins merged down to 233, with plenty of DLC sized mods, heavy scripted mods, 2k or 4k replacer mods. You name it, I've got it. HDR ENB using highest quality settings available, same with skyrim's own settings. Constant 60fps regardless with Vsync, if I turn it off I push 140+ almost everywhere except cities. Load times are near instant, don't remember the last time I had a CTD I didn't cause myself through testing a mod.

Bash "Oldrim" all you want, I've got it pretty good. It's all about the setup.

"objective factual evidence of"  A SPECIFIC SET OF MODS running like that. Again, straw man argument. I acknowledged that this could be possible from the beginning. Not the point.

And now we learn what your real argument is. Many mods that appear on the top downloaded list are just crappy mods. In other words, "doing something wrong" by your definition includes actually using mods that tens of thousands of people want to use.

And you are defending oldrim how exactly?

This whole discussion is starting to bear the stink of politics and religion. Now the fundamentalists are coming out to play, that's always fun. 

The way I see it, smart people keep all their options open.  Having a 64bit engine to play with is a great option to have. Not committing to it until  there's some parity is a rational position to take. 

But you're dealing with a guy who will take something entirely subjective and then tell you that his low opinion of it is science-based. Scorn and derision is the last resort for most folks, it's an opening gambit for this guy.  You cannot come out of that exchange richer for having had it imo. Good luck though. 

you pick mods because others are using them?

unof skyrim patch have more downloads than usleep^^

better female have more downloads than fair/mature skin^^

realvision have more downloads than no idea what you use^^

apachiskyhair have more download than sg/ks^^

etc etc

you don't like my screens? that's the purpose, screens > useless blabla

you don't have that kind of problems with sse?

170127044451324341.jpg

no wonder she is always working on her house when i pass by

170127044442767834.jpg

that texture is also used in interior

170127044846803252.jpg

so it's no good

170127044812825679.jpg

170127044813168089.jpg

here's a problem you don't have with sse

170127044937511563.jpg

because you don't have hdt

priority problem, hdt is load before the game load the npc, and the game leave hdt bones where hdt put them when it load the npc

170127044524641019.jpg

draugrs have blue eyes, skeletons have blue eyes, the ones from sic too

170127044458601500.jpg

but those ones, they have blue eyes in sse? (don't know if it's on purpose or if there's a problem)

170127045156492361.jpg

170127044739691933.jpg

your npc don't cut off their fingers? or put their sword in their head?

170127045226390536.jpg

170127045141523503.jpg

bridge mesh with have vertex color to yes...

armor with have normals to yes for the body...17012704491462364.jpg

there's also the bigger mesh replacers that are send flying with collision

that armor should have arms, in case you don't wear that armor gloves

170127045036418741.jpg

170127045226200943.jpg

grass get point lightning in sse? it suck to have to boost ambient lighting to not have dark grass

Really missing the point your trying to convey yatol with these screenshots.. you are highlighting issues in oldrim to support your argument? I just don't get it. In terms of the screenshot problems.. I can only recommend you try some different ENB's to improve the environment or try some better textures, if you are determined to stick with oldrim.

Again, who really wants to waste their life turning mods off and on rather than quickly plugging them in and playing the game?

what? you need a drawing?

he wrote that

Again, who really wants to waste their life turning mods off and on rather than quickly plugging them in and playing the game?

and i just lol at it

if you use northern encounter, you can't enter don't remember dungeon, because it's entrance is under northern stuff

if you forget killable children patch for rs children like me, you can't kill those childrens

if you forget sexlabnudecreature requiem patch, those creatures are weak again

if you forget ai overhaul immersive weapon whatever patch for your npc overhaul, your npcs lose that

sse don't make those problems disappear by magic

had a navmesh conflict north of riften, moon and star and 3dnpc i think, had to regenerate navmesh with both mods in crap kit to be able to enter that area

The Skyrim SE has absolutely nothing beyond some half-functioning ported mods. Give it a year or two, depending on SKSE64's pace and the community's response, you might have a better modding environment.

It has mods for just about every aspect of the game already.

Are you maybe referring to sex mods? I can agree that, without an extender, it's limited in that area. Maybe that is why some people are so resistant to it?

people spent a lot of time trying to fix the problems of an "old" game and I feel they did a pretty damn good job.

And SE benefits from nearly every one of those fixes. It just adds better stability and performance on top of it. So, it can be pushed that much further or simply enjoyed without as much fussing around outside of the game.

Don't raise your expectations on this new amazing DX11, 64bit engine. Newer stuff just means newer problems. Things aren't going to magically become super easy and smooth with 10000 mod capacity and constant 60fps with no bugs, memory leaks or CTDs. So whatever argument you have about skyrim's new wheels making it the best thing ever are pretty much invalid.

?

It's already out. We don't need to tailor expectations because we can just install and use the game for ourselves. And it turns out that it does, in comparison to oldrim, make modding "super easy and smooth".

It's not an unlimited improvement. It can still be crashed. It didn't fix all bugs. But, the difference is very noticeable.

500+ installed mods, 300+ plugins merged down to 233, with plenty of DLC sized mods, heavy scripted mods, 2k or 4k replacer mods. You name it, I've got it. HDR ENB using highest quality settings available, same with skyrim's own settings. Constant 60fps regardless with Vsync, if I turn it off I push 140+ almost everywhere except cities. Load times are near instant, don't remember the last time I had a CTD I didn't cause myself through testing a mod.

Sorry. Unless you have some crazy machine, I don't buy it. I've spent a lot of time modding the game with a solid machine. It bogs down way before reaching the load you describe.

This whole discussion is starting to bear the stink of politics and religion. Now the fundamentalists are coming out to play, that's always fun. 

The way I see it, smart people keep all their options open.  Having a 64bit engine to play with is a great option to have. Not committing to it until  there's some parity is a rational position to take. 

But you're dealing with a guy who will take something entirely subjective and then tell you that his low opinion of it is science-based. Scorn and derision is the last resort for most folks, it's an opening gambit for this guy.  You cannot come out of that exchange richer for having had it imo. Good luck though. 

Heh. At this point, I'm just trying to figure out why.

It appears that what this is about is that many modders have spent so much time getting their mod build right for oldrim that they actually have an emotional attachment to it. For them, the modding part is the game. Not the game itself.

What mods I pick is not the point. I used those as examples because they are mods that a lot of people want to use.

Popular mods running well on SE but not on oldrim is an argument for SE. Getting your mod build right doesn't have to be a spirit quest involving finding out that popular mods just wont run well in the game.

No offense or hard feelings. I don't think your screens communicate what you want them to.

The only message I've been able to get from them is that you are capable of modding to get incredibly realistic looking slop-jalops in the game...

if you use northern encounter, you can't enter don't remember dungeon, because it's entrance is under northern stuff

if you forget killable children patch for rs children like me, you can't kill those childrens

if you forget ai overhaul immersive weapon whatever patch for your npc overhaul, your npcs lose that

If the performance and CTD problems in oldrim was limited to forgetting patches, it would be wonderful.

If the performance and CTD problems in oldrim was limited to forgetting patches, it would be wonderful.

blabla blabla blabla

how about a few exemples of those ctd problems for another reason if there really can be another reason?

most ctd are ram ctd, and the rest it's conflicts

It has mods for just about every aspect of the game already.

Are you maybe referring to sex mods? I can agree that, without an extender, it's limited in that area. Maybe that is why some people are so resistant to it?

people spent a lot of time trying to fix the problems of an "old" game and I feel they did a pretty damn good job.

And SE benefits from nearly every one of those fixes. It just adds better stability and performance on top of it. So, it can be pushed that much further or simply enjoyed without as much fussing around outside of the game.

?

It's already out. We don't need to tailor expectations because we can just install and use the game for ourselves. And it turns out that it does, in comparison to oldrim, make modding "super easy and smooth".

It's not an unlimited improvement. It can still be crashed. It didn't fix all bugs. But, the difference is very noticeable.

Sorry. Unless you have some crazy machine, I don't buy it. I've spent a lot of time modding the game with a solid machine. It bogs down way before reaching the load you describe.

Heh. At this point, I'm just trying to figure out why.

It appears that what this is about is that many modders have spent so much time getting their mod build right for oldrim that they actually have an emotional attachment to it. For them, the modding part is the game. Not the game itself.

What mods I pick is not the point. I used those as examples because they are mods that a lot of people want to use.

Popular mods running well on SE but not on oldrim is an argument for SE. Getting your mod build right doesn't have to be a spirit quest involving finding out that popular mods just wont run well in the game.

No offense or hard feelings. I don't think your screens communicate what you want them to.

The only message I've been able to get from them is that you are capable of modding to get incredibly realistic looking slop-jalops in the game...

No, not just sex mods. ANY SKSE mods. Fixes, Racemnu, Most of Chekso's mods, Fuz Ro Doh, Additemmenu, Physics in it's entirety, OSA, quickloot, Community uncapper, Enhanced camera. 

I could go on.

No, SE still has memory leak issues, when we get more scripted mods papyrus will still need it's utilities. Regardless of how "shiny" it looks, it still needs work, if you can't see that then you seriously must be blind.

I've spent a lot of time working on skyrim, I know how to make it work and I know it's limitations. I'm not saying SE isn't going to run better, I'm just saying stop assuming it's so perfect that every fix we needed on LE isn't going to still be needed. Some patches will STILL be necessary.

As for my setup,

I7 Processor, Skyrim on SSD and a single GTX1070.

But with slightly lower ENB settings (Literally changing very high to high) I had the same kind of thing with my old GTX970.

post-669090-0-08462300-1485565559_thumb.png

post-669090-0-74927700-1485565647_thumb.png

Not kidding about the load order.

No, not just sex mods. ANY SKSE mods. Fixes, Racemnu, Most of Chekso's mods, Fuz Ro Doh, Additemmenu, Physics in it's entirety, OSA, quickloot, Community uncapper, Enhanced camera. 

I could go on.

No, SE still has memory leak issues, when we get more scripted mods papyrus will still need it's utilities. Regardless of how "shiny" it looks, it still needs work, if you can't see that then you seriously must be blind.

I've spent a lot of time working on skyrim, I know how to make it work and I know it's limitations. I'm not saying SE isn't going to run better, I'm just saying stop assuming it's so perfect that every fix we needed on LE isn't going to still be needed. Some patches will STILL be necessary.

As for my setup,

I7 Processor, Skyrim on SSD and a single GTX1070.

But with slightly lower ENB settings (Literally changing very high to high) I had the same kind of thing with my old GTX970.

attachicon.gif0cbb6b0c9f604b32bbb59b5f17f0b7c2.png

Not kidding about the load order.

So have I, years and years. Many of us here have spent indecent amounts of spare time doing the same thing you have. And I'm happy to flat out state that modding SSE has been a cake walk compared to dealing with the old engine at launch.

No it isn't free of issues, it's got loads of them and they're annoying, loads of great mods are missing and that's frustrating .  And it's still been a far more forgiving experience to mod it than old Skyrim ever was, or ever will be probably.  And because I'm spending so little time putting out fires, I'm fully enjoying the fruits of my labours, actually playing the game for long periods instead of staring at GUIs.

I built my rig to play old Skyrim on launch day. SSE runs much better on it. 

Archived