Does Your Age Affect What Games You Play ?

Dee383

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes and no. I still play many titles from my childhood thru teens because nostalgia and because they are just good games (Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider, Diablo 1&2, Sonic 2, Tekken 2, Mortal Kombat 2...so many '2s' lol). Being older now I've noticed I gravitate more toward CRPGs and I don't go crazy over anything with anime on the cover like I did when I was younger. Personally I think much of it comes from not only a maturing of my tastes but also being jaded and very picky with games also.

• 3 weeks later...

Not at all. I'm 19 and I guess you could say I'm still into the new games. I have seen my love for games changed though. I only like story based games. If it doesn't have a good story along with gameplay I'm not fond of the game and will get very bored easily. I love games like the new Tomb Raiders because of the story telling and the free running. Exploring is something I enjoy too, but i don't like games where you endlessly kill things.  :sleepy:

• 3 months later...

I'm 62 and to be honest games have gotten better then those I started out with. Underworld The Stygian Abyss to Unreal to Quake, Doom and their advances, losing to younger players is what it's all about. If you can't lose with dignity then maybe you shouldn't be gaming, and the same goes for winning. I can still snake a few wins in the new Unreal Tournament (not yet released) But just because you age chronologically doesn't mean you have to get Old. as long as you keep yourself fit. I would have to say I think my favorite game in terms of the arsenal is still Crysis 3 and graphically it is stunning. I just wish it were more open world like Prototype in the since that it is an urban jungle but still urban. May have to give Division a try.

Well yes and no. Back a looooong time ago playing FF7 or something it was all about the next adventure. Now when I play something like Skyrim I am thinking of the best properties I can own in both a strategic and financial sense. But I roll on the floor laughing when I see my two daughters fight over who gets to drive or what not in a coop game. It is through their eyes that I remember what it is like to be a kid!! :P

As You Get Older Do You Find That You Now Play Games That You Would Never Have Played When You Were Younger ?

I Would Have Never Played Sims Games Or Games Like Cities Skylines ,When I Was Younger I Only Played First Or Third

Person Shooters & Driving/Racing Games ....

Then I wasn't ever young. That flying game, the one where you're in a cockpit flying, was boring and I usually crashed 30 seconds into the game.

Racing was exciting until I discovered I couldn't drive.

But "sims", I owned all of them until sims 4 or so.

"Sims online" was nice until I scared the moderator out in some field organizing an event.

"Hi" I think I said, and she went ballistic. So sims online was a bust after that for me.

Uh, no.

Many's the time my dad would watch kids' show hostesses dancing on TV with a gleam in his eye and more than casual interest.

so, no.

I don't think so, but you know, everyone's different.

Yes but in diffrent way than most people got.

I realized lately, how much i miss old NES games such Contra, Megaman etc. Even playing now Duke Nukem Manhattan Project for me, is now a challenge without joypad. But i got lots of fun still actually.

Good at least, Megaman collection is on steam, and in 20 august will be second collection released!

Yes.

1. I stopped enjoy fast twitch games (shooters, RTS, platformers, fighters etc) around the same time I dialed back playing pick-up hoops. 

2. Time constraint pretty much eliminates most steep learning curve builder/simulation games as well even as I very much still enjoy them. 

3. Adventure/puzzle games lost their allure as other higher issues are more worthy of my increasingly less spongy brain.

4. I got wiser and able to see through the financial scams in most online multi-player games.

This leaves mostly RPG, turn based strategy and casual simulation games nowadays.

Of course I play games now that I would not have played when I was younger! But that's only because those games did not even exist then. :P

Seriously though, I think you specifically meant "types of games", so my answer would be no. It has nothing to do with age and is solely based on my tastes. For instance: I was never into shooters unless it involved a bow.

Others brought up the reflexes of older people thing, but that usually has little or nothing to do with what games people like to play. Also, there are plenty of young kids with slow reflexes and plenty of old people with fast reflexes. It is also a fact that you can slow or even reverse the affects of aging...

"Reflexes do slow with age. Physical changes in nerve fibers slow the speed of conduction. And the parts of the brain involved in motor control lose cells over time. But the effect of age on reflexes and reaction time varies tremendously from person to person. You can actually slow down — even reverse — the effects of aging by staying physically active."

Source

Archived