DOA5LR: (TUT) Remove clothing / objects from any DOA5 costume model

SaafRats

Before start, I should assume that you have the tools to extract TMC / TMCL files, the proper noesis plugins, and you know how to repack a DLC.
This is a method to remove clothing or objects from any DOA 5 LR model, by modifying certain parameters of TMC file.
With this, it's possible to remove (for example): nyoutengu’s wings, mask and fans, or the towels from "bath & bedtime" costumes.
Tools needed:

• Any hexadecimal editor (I use HxD, which is free).
  • Noesis (to test the changes)

To explain the process, I give a couple of examples:

• EXAMPLE 1:

Removing all clothing on LISA_DLC_004 (the only “vanilla” complete model available)

1. Extract the TMC and TMCL files corresponding to LISA_DLC_004 (available in chara_common)
  2. Make a backup of the TMC file (very important if you want to add modified textures later)
  3. Open the file in hex editor (HxD)
  4. Find "ObjGeo" references:

Press "Ctrl + F" and look for references to the "ObjGeo" word in this file. This will lead us to sections where the objects that are referenced may be removed.
In the particular case of LISA_DLC_004, we will only edit the reference to "ObjGeo" which is accompanied by the reference "WGT_body"
Here you can see two sections: section 1, which contains an object counter, and the section 2 containing references to these objects.
29av82a.jpg

Now we need to identify the objects you want to keep, and those you wish to drop. This requires patience, trial and error.
In this particular case, you can see 6 objects referenced highlighted in block 2 with its respective counter in block 1.
To remove all the clothes and leaving only the body model, the only object involved is referenced by "10 0E", other objects don't interest us, so just copy that reference and paste it over first reference ("40 01").
Also, we must change the counter in the first block from "06" to "01" in both of the "section 1 counters" (this will cause only the first object is loaded, that is just the body).
105bb4p.jpg

*Alternate method:

Another way to accomplish the same thing, is to replace the objects that you want to remove, by objects that you want to keep.

In the case of LISA_DLC_004, you can see that the body was identified in the reference "10 0E", so we proceeded to replace all other references to that reference. By doing so, there is no need to touch the counter and can be more convenient to do on certain models (like when you want to remove only a few objects)

wwjcdv.jpg

Screenshot of the result HERE
(there you can also find some --p files to create previews for dlc)

Finally, it remains to test the result in Noesis and if all goes well, you can now create the DLC file to use in the game.

• EXAMPLE 2:
Removing mask, fans and wings from NYOTENGU_COS_003 (available in chara_common)

To do so, we must repeat the same steps from 1 to 3, previously seen in the EXAMPLE 1.
Now in step 4, we have to look for references to objgeo, corresponding to different items involved. In this case the body (WGT_body) will NOT be playing a role as in the previous case, now we only need to pay attention to the section 1 (object counter).
Press Ctrl + F, find the following references and change all highlighted values to "00" (this will remove the selected items):

• OPT_uchiwa_l, OPT_uchiwa_r (fans a) change 05-> 00

66aeyp.jpg

• OPT_wings_Root (wings) change 02-> 00

b8nvvl.jpg

• WGT_acs_fun_l, WGT_acs_fun_r (fans b ) change 03-> 00

16lgx6r.jpg

• WGT_mask (mask) change 07-> 00

snmg03.jpg

I recommend always to use "objgeo" to search, and then pressing F3 to find the next reference.
Upon completion of the process, the model should look like this:
106d5s3.jpg
Despite the differences in size, this model looks very cute on Marie Rose hehehe, there are some images hanging around...

A method that can make the task of identifying objects more easier, is to export the models to .obj format using noesis (File-> Export). Subsequently, the .obj file is opened (using programs like blender or 3dsmax). Then we proceed to find the object of interest (nyotengu wings in the example image). By clicking on the object, the name will be highlighted, then it would be easier to find it on the hexadecimal editor.

52ns0o.jpg

Thanks to holdenmcclure for recommending add this information: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/45991-doa5lr-tut-remove-clothing-objects-from-any-doa5-costume-model/?do=findComment&comment=1150422

Finally, if you want to edit the textures (or meshes) of these models (to add nipples for example), the best way to avoid errors is to use the original tmc file (previously backed up), and only then make changes. After that, you can use the modified tmc file again to finally make the custom DLC.

Both models are attached for testing purposes.

I'm not a native english speaker, so sorry if there are any grammar errors.

LISA_DLC_004_(hex_edited)_saafrats.7z

NYOTENGU_COS_003_(hex edited)_saafrats.7z

good job

and 

I think we can use it to do more work :D

its written in maxscript, so you'll need 3dsmax installed to use it.
(any version should work, but using the newest/fully updated 3dsmax is recommened )

script will open a TMC and unpack the block components and write them to a new folder along with a XML.
the xml stores all the unknowns from the header, until the time we can solve them all.
To repack the block components back into a TMC again, just press the repack button on the script gui and select that xml

if you want to add new blocks, you have to edit the XML
example:
Code:
   <block type=[1,0,0,128]>BIN001.geo</block>
   <block type=[2,0,0,128]>BIN002.ttd</block>
   <block type=[3,0,0,128]>BIN003.vtx</block>
   <block type=[4,0,0,128]>BIN004.idx</block>

add a new line in there like <block type=[-1,0,0,0]>myname.txt</block>

anyway in theory once I write the script to create new geometry components...
they just get written into that unpacked folder... and yeah we repack and it should work.

wish i understood how to get model mods working, this repacking the dlc is flipping confusing

3Dmax_script_mariokart64n.zip

I'd just like to add something if you don't mind. With only some obscure names to go by, it's kind of trial and error to remove stuff just by using the Hex editor. However you can use Noesis to export the models to a format recognizable from a modeling program like Blender, and you can see what surfaces are named what easily that way so you have some sort of guide for editing out surfaces in the Hex editor.

leccei.png

I'd just like to add something if you don't mind. With only some obscure names to go by, it's kind of trial and error to remove stuff just by using the Hex editor. However you can use Noesis to export the models to a format recognizable from a modeling program like Blender, and you can see what surfaces are named what easily that way so you have some sort of guide for editing out surfaces in the Hex editor.

leccei.png

thx for your tool,and good job~~

I know,still a good job

@SaafRats

Thanks, this is what I wanted for a long time, a wingless tengu. :D

BTW, do you know how to get injecting to work with the doa5LRarchivarius? It would be nice to inject wingless tengu to replace the original instead of using limited DLC slots.

Also, could using a hex editor be able to swap Nyotengu's fans? Some of them I like, but the dumb ones like ice cream cones I would like to switch for a different one instead of removing it entirely.

sorry for all the questions, but 1 more, where are the --P files for the costumes in chara_common? I can only seem to find ones in the DLC.

@all

anyone know where both of nyotengu's swimwear and her Chinese dress is? I'm sure I checked all dlc and chara_common but was unable to find them.

good job

and 

(any version should work, but using the newest/fully updated 3dsmax is recommened )

script will open a TMC and unpack the block components and write them to a new folder along with a XML.
the xml stores all the unknowns from the header, until the time we can solve them all.
To repack the block components back into a TMC again, just press the repack button on the script gui and select that xml

example:
Code:

they just get written into that unpacked folder... and yeah we repack and it should work.

wish i understood how to get model mods working, this repacking the dlc is flipping confusing

A good news, bad news

A good news,3Dmax_script_mariokart64n can unpaked .geo 

bad news:Some map does not work when wet,In My test model

good job

and 

example:
Code:

I've actually tried that script, but still can not find a way to directly edit the model itself on 3dsmax, as the only options that appears is tmc unpack and repack ... the truth, I'm not familiar with this new script, maybe there's something I'm overlooking.

There is currently another maxcript plugin, "TMC Praser", (I'm very familiar with that) that lets you edit meshes in 3dsmax (this opens the TMC file, but what really is edited is the TMCL file, subsequently using another script for repackaging). The trouble is that only works for xbox 360 models :/. Here you can see the script in operation:

311wef8.jpg

If only someone could turn that same script to make it compatible with PC files ...

Actually I think I should investigate further the new script published, the trouble is I do not have much time available now :(

leccei.png

it is true. In fact, I used to do something very similar to what you propose (using 3dsmax, which also shows the names of the objects in a similar way):

10h0nrc.jpg

I think tomorrow I will add this information to the tutorial, it's a very good contribution :) ... now I just want to sleep, I'm very tired.

PS: if there is any utility to export models from xbox to pc (hopefully happen), I would like to share some of my custom models that I have made (very small bikinis among other things), so that way you could add to the collection of mods you have published (it's the best organized post I've seen so far, very good job :D)

@SaafRats

Thanks, this is what I wanted for a long time, a wingless tengu. :D

BTW, do you know how to get injecting to work with the doa5LRarchivarius? It would be nice to inject wingless tengu to replace the original instead of using limited DLC slots.

Also, could using a hex editor be able to swap Nyotengu's fans? Some of them I like, but the dumb ones like ice cream cones I would like to switch for a different one instead of removing it entirely.

sorry for all the questions, but 1 more, where are the --P files for the costumes in chara_common? I can only seem to find ones in the DLC.

@all

anyone know where both of nyotengu's swimwear is? I'm sure I checked all dlc and chara_common but was unable to find them.

• you can actually replace the original model by the wingless one using archivarius. To do that you must use the "swap selected" option that appears at the top right, and replace the "NYOTENGU_COS_003.TMC" (only that!) File. Anyway I have not tried this personally on pc version. For the xbox version, it was not possible to replace files directly into the main "chara_common" file... unless you modify (hex edit) some parameters of the "default.xex" file (after making certain processes of decryption and decompression). I think something very similar happens on the PC version, you may need to make changes in the game.exe file ("defaul.xex" equivalent) but those are only speculations  (the truth, I haven't deeply tested the pc version :P). However, the swap process can be done without problems on any costume on DLC files (at least you could on Xbox, PC must be the same).
  • With respect to replace the fans, I think it can be done, but only with the help of 3dsmax ... (as I said earlier, I'm not very familiar with the new script for PC for now ... I'll have to investigate)
  • Regarding --P files, all files are exactly the same, so you could use any other --P file (from any dlc) and replace the image (using Texture Tool).

great tutorial.last time i used a Hex editor i couldn't stop swearing for a week,but it may solve certain problems i'm having,in particular alpha channels, they should work but there not,driving me insane,is there anyway to repack the bin file so you don't need a custom launcher? or is that further down the track?

great tutorial.last time i used a Hex editor i couldn't stop swearing for a week,but it may solve certain problems i'm having,in particular alpha channels, they should work but there not,driving me insane,is there anyway to repack the bin file so you don't need a custom launcher? or is that further down the track?

If you replace an existing BCM, yes. You could just repack the costumes from the DLC you're replacing. Of course that seems kind of pointless right now. You can't play online right now anyways so it's not like there's any good reason not to use a custom launcher right now. Of course when that day comes we will probably need to re-evaluate our options.

A good news, bad news

Excellent!, so did you get to open a complete 3d model in 3dsmax for mesh editing?

Is there a way to mix and match parts from different models though hex editing? Like, for say, if I wanted to give naked Kokoro her fox ears and tail from another outfit?

In theory you can do what you say by using hex edition, but it would be a very complex process as it would require editing both "game.xex" ("blp" file embedded in it), and also the "chara_common " file.

To do that (summarizing), we would have to know the exact address where the source and target objects are "stored" within the chara_common file, also must know the size of each one (compressed and uncompressed), and then update all that information in the "game.exe" file. And most importantly, you must remove the cheksum protection in game.exe file to get the changes working ... it would be very tedious but not impossible.

I already have tested that method before and works on doa5U! (x360), but what I did there were swaps between characters hairstyles (now I think there is a much simpler way to do that). I have also done costume swaps on all the first models of the female characters (so they appear nude in story mode). The main difference is that the hairstyles are independent files, however, the objects you want to change (fox ears for example) are within character models :/

Using 3dsmax, things would be different...

NO~but,You can upload xbox360 Christie nude.TMC and The source file?

I checked the (maxsciprt for doa5 research.ms and DOA5 Importer.ms By: Mario_Kart64n for 360)

The first step is unpack the TMC XDDDDDDDDDDDD

0x80000001: #MdlGeo -- Mesh Info

0x80000002: #TTX -- Texture Info (XPR2 Header)

0x80000003: #VtxLay -- Vertex Buffer Info

0x80000004: #IdxLay -- Index Buffer Info

0x80000005: #MtrCol -- Material Colours?

0x80000006: #MdlInfo --

0x80000010: #HieLay -- Bone Hierarchy

0x80000020: #LHeader -- L File Header

0x80000030: #NodeLay -- Bone Names

0x80000040: #GlblMtx --

0x80000050: #BnOfsMtx --

0x80000060: #cpf --

0x80000070: #MCAPACK --

0x80000080: #RENPACK --

0x00000001: #GEOXTRAS --

0x00000002: #ACSCLS -- ACSCLS, render and hide flags?

I think the Harry Palmer edited the vertex file.

“Think about that you picked a pair of models, which they are looking exactly same, one from xbox, another from PC.

Then they have vertex information in exactly same order with a little bit of tweak.

That's the key point.

find the address, get the data, do some tweak, put back into another file.

that's the worst scenario and there's no tool”

xbox360_3dmaxScripts.zip

@Saafrats -

- when I tried to inject into character common before, 2 things happen depending on what I chose to inject

some stuff greets me with this

0DSsrqw.jpg

some stuff actually gives me an option to choose a file to inject which leads to this pop up

Aiqfzs0.jpg

clicking on yes just makes the tool close and no change has occurred in the file.

I tried injecting into DLC now, but got this message

CKvgmQR.jpg

:(

- unfortunately I'm not familiar with max or have the program, only maya and blender.

- well since my plan was to just make wingless tengu costumes, wanted to use the same icons with out having to remake them by using a different costume as a base.

well thanks for all the answers :)

@syasuke -

Sorry, not sure I understand what you mean

@all -

Since I cant get injecting working, decided to repack it. Nyotengu has only 31 slots, so I had to cut costume 4,5,7,8,9 (they are just recolours anyways ) and 17, 21, 22 couldn't be located so they are not in.

9NX8R5w.jpg

xVtWl9j.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/download/yig25rx4y1h0mnc/j.7z

A good news, bad news

Excellent!, so did you get to open a complete 3d model in 3dsmax for mesh editing?

Is there a way to mix and match parts from different models though hex editing? Like, for say, if I wanted to give naked Kokoro her fox ears and tail from another outfit?

In theory you can do what you say by using hex edition, but it would be a very complex process as it would require editing both "game.xex" ("blp" file embedded in it), and also the "chara_common " file.

To do that (summarizing), we would have to know the exact address where the source and target objects are "stored" within the chara_common file, also must know the size of each one, and then update all that information in the "game.exe" file. And most importantly, you must remove the cheksum protection in game.exe file to get the changes working ... it would be very tedious but not impossible.

I already have tested that method before and works on doa5U (x360), but what I did there were swaps between characters hairstyles (now I think there is a much simpler way to do that). The main difference is that the hairstyles are independent files, however, the objects you want to change (fox ears for example) are within character models :/

Using 3dsmax, things would be different...

I will send $50 through Paypal if someone can make that happen, and I am not kidding.

Could somebody explain me step by step how can I make my own mods? I want to open textures and models, edit them with photoshop and 3dmax and make DLC. But now a can only unpack textures. How to unpack models? What programs/scripts/plugins need? Please, write detailed instruction.

Could somebody explain me step by step how can I make my own mods? I want to open textures and models, edit them with photoshop and 3dmax and make DLC. But now a can only unpack textures. How to unpack models? What programs/scripts/plugins need? Please, write detailed instruction.

I have written a tutorial, but in Chinese
I'm sorry my English is not good

I have written a tutorial, but in Chinese
I'm sorry my English is not good

Please write it in english. I'm really want make mods for this game, but don't know how.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived