This is my first rendition of rigging the mermaid. I've got the basics - collar bone, shoulder, elbow, wrist, waist, hip, tail, tailfin. I also included 1 rear main dorsal fin, 2 rear side-dorsal fins, 2 front dorsal fins, a belly bone for possible pregnancies and breast bones for jiggle. Any other bones yall can think of?

LamiaRig01.jpg

This is my first rendition of rigging the mermaid. I've got the basics - collar bone, shoulder, elbow, wrist, waist, hip, tail, tailfin. I also included 1 rear main dorsal fin, 2 rear side-dorsal fins, 2 front dorsal fins, a belly bone for possible pregnancies and breast bones for jiggle. Any other bones yall can think of?

LamiaRig01.jpg

imo we're good on bones, but, well, to me anyway, the tail seems kinda long, not that that's a problem.

question: if the mermaids are crawling onto dry land, then how will the tails contour to the terrain, or would the tails (if possible) just ragdoll when not in water?

...the tail seems kinda long, not that that's a problem.

question: if the mermaids are crawling onto dry land, then how will the tails contour to the terrain, or would the tails (if possible) just ragdoll when not in water?

Sure it's a bit longer than traditional mermaid, but I want it to look like an actual tail - not a suit that legs are hiding in.

I'm thinking that it might be possible to adopt the foot/terrain hit detection that Skyrim has naturally. For example in most games, for example Oblivion and Fallout, feet don't collide with terrain when people walk/run; when going uphill, a character's feet will enter the ground slightly. However with Skyrim, you can see your character's feet actually stand on top of the terrain.

Why do I feel that this could fairly easily be converted to Nagas (although I personally would prefer to have both)

oh man that sounds great...

wait, has someone found out if underwater combat is a thing yet? and what exactly can you do as a mermaid on land? we'll need new animations for pulling levers, throwing magic, sword fighting, and shooting arrows while moving, whatever "sprint" and "jumping" will be, aaaand

i think mounting a horse would be impossible as a mermaid, so disable it?

and lastly, we'll need animations, for turning around.

I think mounting a horse would be impossible as a mermaid, so disable it?

You could always ride sidesaddle, since getting around seems like enough of a pain in the ass as it is without any legs, (I have no idea if it's possible, but it seems likely; take the vanilla animation, twist the body around and put the 'legs' together)

I think mounting a horse would be impossible as a mermaid, so disable it?

You could always ride sidesaddle, since getting around seems like enough of a pain in the ass as it is without any legs, (I have no idea if it's possible, but it seems likely; take the vanilla animation, twist the body around and put the 'legs' together)

true, true, but how do we get the mermaids to hop onto the horse?

...the tail seems kinda long, not that that's a problem.

Sure it's a bit longer than traditional mermaid, but I want it to look like an actual tail - not a suit that legs are hiding in.

I'm thinking that it might be possible to adopt the foot/terrain hit detection that Skyrim has naturally. For example in most games, for example Oblivion and Fallout, feet don't collide with terrain when people walk/run; when going uphill, a character's feet will enter the ground slightly. However with Skyrim, you can see your character's feet actually stand on top of the terrain.

what do you think about use water to be a vehicle-----move like a spell of control water?The animation of spell will like surfing,and the character could sleep in clamshell

Since you were earlier talking about placing a vagina on the mermaid why don't you check into what "bones" are needed for the realistic vagina WIP mod. Get those added and you'll save yourself extra work later.

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/18250-wip-realistic-genitalia-for-cbbe/

Isn't there a way to make the tail "replace" the legs without actually removing them? As in, a normal skeleton (with invisible legs) and a ragdoll mermaid tail attached to the torso? Then the normal animations on land wouldn't need to be replaced, right? Sure, you'd have a dangly tail but it's an idea. Also, how about making the mermaids swim on air? Like http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wd_Sz59QTVk#t=123, i'd imagine animating that much wouldn't be so hard, though i might be wrong.

Why do I feel that this could fairly easily be converted to Nagas (although I personally would prefer to have both)

oh man that sounds great...

wait, has someone found out if underwater combat is a thing yet? and what exactly can you do as a mermaid on land? we'll need new animations for pulling levers, throwing magic, sword fighting, and shooting arrows while moving, whatever "sprint" and "jumping" will be, aaaand

i think mounting a horse would be impossible as a mermaid, so disable it?

Apparently it is already in existence, and is just an option in the CK 

Well, Elder Scroll lore has gorgons and something called a 'Lamia' which is a cross between a mermaid and a gorgon. It can easily be interpreted as a highly-sexualized Naga.

EDIT: Thanks WaxenFigure for pointing that out - I just added in vaginal bones.

Well, Elder Scroll lore has gorgons and something called a 'Lamia' which is a cross between a mermaid and a gorgon. It can easily be interpreted as a highly-sexualized Naga.

EDIT: Thanks WaxenFigure for pointing that out - I just added in vaginal bones.

did you add 2 bones for each breast?

speakin of bones, why not use xp32 max skeleton, delete the bones you don't want and add the bones you d want. This will ensure animation compatibility with vanilla and modded anims. at that point you could grab a pack of animations and use that as default for mundane shit like drawing a bow and eating the bread.

oi, just wondering, these mermaids gonna have butts?

Mermaids likely wont have butts in the conventional area like humans

dammit, so this mermod might not have buttocks? shit

Awesome. Straight to the sig with that quote right there.

Well, after doing that final bit of work on Ashara's Sirens and Tritons (the tail/bra setup for player and NPCs, which made a lot of people very happy), you've gotten a lot farther, which is nice.  The idea of race changing is a good one, for obvious reasons, the underwater swimming, though, unlike Oblivion, Skyrim really doesn't have much in the way of deep waters.

For the transformation animations, I'd say, the tail would split apart into feet and the reverse, they'd disrobe from the waist down and dip their feet into the water, their legs would "glue" together and form a tail.  One suggestion would be a "kiss" animation, to give the follower the temporary ability to follow them under water.  Though, at present, there really isn't much in the way of under water activities for Skyrim, seems to be something they kind of... avoided.

GuruSR.