Is this freaking possible!?

Mailamea

Yes it possible. If the card supports it it can be done. You won't get the full graphics out of it due to it being used in a USB port but it will certainly be better then on board.

The card will definitely be cooled that's for sure.

It's tricky to do and can be a bit dangerous bit if you PM the graphics card model, the laptop model and model of the power supply being used I will create a plan.

You need a desktop power supply otherwise this will not work!

Yes it possible. If the card supports it it can be done.

The card will definitely be cooled that's for sure.

So what I need is a desktop powersupply which is easy to find. A graphics card. A adapter for graphics card to plug at laptop, now how do I find the green with the white slots thingy the slots were you also put the fan on.

So what I need is a desktop powersupply which is easy to find. A graphics card. A adapter for graphics card to plug at laptop' date=' now how do I find the green with the white slots thingy the slots were you also put the fan on.

[/quote']

That's the tricky part. Because from the image it looks like it's been removed from a motherboard. It can be done but lets not get ahead of ourselves shall we.

So what I need is a desktop powersupply which is easy to find. A graphics card. A adapter for graphics card to plug at laptop' date=' now how do I find the green with the white slots thingy the slots were you also put the fan on.

[/quote']

That's the tricky part. Because from the image it looks like it's been removed from a motherboard. It can be done but lets not get ahead of ourselves shall we.

That's what I thought. It seems cut out. Damn I need a scrap motherboard to cut. Lol

Doesn't turning a laptop into a desktop kind of defeat the purpose of a laptop? Plus' date=' you're stuck with a smaller keyboard and monitor to game on. Am I being a sour puss?

I'm also admitting to having no clue how that is made to work.

[/quote']

Knock knock. Use brain :P

This is for ppl that has a stockpile of laptops that only has built in gfx card. Or has a spare gfx card. Or spare power supply for that matter.

Like me all im missing is a cut out motherboard part and me and my cuz can play coop :) ..

No clue as well but did some research and its easy and working just need parts.

You don't need to cut out a motherboard part, that little socket board is a custom made board. You want the PE4H kit from hwtools.

http://www.hwtools.net/Adapter/PE4H.html

Or if you are totally confident you only need the power supply board, the part is SWEX and it's $9.

I've also done some reading up on this and it can often be quite tricky to get working, there are a lot of compatibility issues. Depending on the laptop you're using it on you may only be able to use the eGPU on an external monitor. Performance will also only be better if you have Intel graphics.

Tread carefully before you waste any money :)

I was looking for a solution to help my ageing HP HDX and its 8800M GTS get some more performance but the ExpressCard will only run at PCIe 1x, the result of that being no more than equal performance to the internal graphics. Also my laptop is only compatible with an eGPU to an external monitor, pointless seeing as it already has a 20.1" (51cm) screen.

I wish there was a working solution for me :(

Archived