4.jpg

5.jpg

7.gif

8.gif

i do like corsets !!! ... and i hope sooner or later i'll make one :D

Spoiler

On 5/26/2018 at 7:08 PM, LueRV said:

Thanks for all the nice outfits.

It seems like the tie accessory link from Marigold's site is dead. Could you upload it here if possible?

Thanks!

i am not sure if i can...i mean it's his work...i don't really know the policy of this site on uploading someone else work....if it's ok than i totally can

Spoiler
11 hours ago, SoupSpoon said:

65a.thumb.png.28890a1db2fb19c7afe9ab0e01c70b63.png

Question, where can I find the necklace and boots for this outfit? Loving the look on this one!

The heels are by vitller (http://vittleruniverse.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2017-12-05T16:07:00-08:00&max-results=10) .... tho these might be his patreon exclusive...i don't really remember, though i suppose aunt google might help you in the search of them :D

and the necklase is by tslok https://tslokimiko.wixsite.com/tslok/glam-diamondwaterfallnecklace

3 hours ago, sstormyy said:

Reveal hidden contents

The heels are by vitller (http://vittleruniverse.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2017-12-05T16:07:00-08:00&max-results=10) .... tho these might be his patreon exclusive...i don't really remember, though i suppose aunt google might help you in the search of them :D

and the necklase is by tslok https://tslokimiko.wixsite.com/tslok/glam-diamondwaterfallnecklace

It would have taken me forever to find these on my own, much appreciated!

Spoiler
36 minutes ago, Scorpion_SK said:

64a.png.e62bd00ca0bf6403380e5cb26191f181

Is this corset piercing on her back a part of this outfit, or is it a separate mod? If it is a separate one, can you please tell me where to download it?

it is separate and if i remember correctly comes in 2 versions :D ... it is made by me ? and you can download it ad other stuff for FREE on my patreon page https://www.patreon.com/user?u=10967382

Ok, I like your designs, and I don't mean to be negative here. I've been doing CG for 20 years, and I just want you to improve, so please take this as constructive criticism and not just me being malcontent, ok? :)

Your meshes look like a dog chewed on them.

I don't mean your designs. Those are cool. I mean your specific arrangements of polygons that make up the clothes. What it *looks* like you're doing is making your meshes with Marvellous, or other similar cloth-sim based method, and then using the results directly as a mesh in sims. (I suppose you could also be modelling or sculpting by hand, but weirdly and pointlessly using a lot of square grids) This results in a high density, high noise mesh that neither looks good, nor does it deform predictably after it gets mangled with the Sims4 body deformation and rigging system. To make these meshes work directly in S4, you have to keep them quite low-poly *by cloth sim standards*, and they come out jagged and not very pleasing. However, they have a polycount that's rather high *by the base game's standards*. Well, modern hardware copes with it just fine, so this is a secondary concern.

Now, the idea of using cloth sims to make clothes is fine, however, you should not be using the resulting meshes directly in S4. Instead, make your cloth sims much denser on the first pass and add some Catmull-Clark subdivision on top of that to make it smooth and realistic. Then make a secondary mesh, by hand, on top of the first one. Whenever you have body-conforming parts, base them off the topology of your favorite body. Where it doesn't conform, keep it low poly and ignore all the internal crevices and such, taking most care to capture the profile well, with edges running along the folds in the cloth, never across them. Unwrap that, and bake all the detail from the high density mesh you had made earlier onto this one. You'll get a smooth, beautiful mesh that deforms well this way. I realize this is more work, but the results are *so* worth it. I also realize there's some nasty shenanigans involved in working with the S4 texture formats for normals and specular, but even if you fail to make those work, (and I wish I could help here, but again, I'm not familiar with the particulars of S4 modding, but I'm sure tutorials exist, right?) just baking the diffuse with some pleasant neutral lighting and some ambient occlusion should look great. This is what they did for Hawken.

Now, the textures.

Your textures are either very low resolution, you're using bakes of very low quality, or you're not using your texture space efficiently (i haven't actually looked at them in PS to check which). Resolution is an easy fix, so do it, don't skimp on the pixels, modern hardware is awesome compared to when S4 came out. Low quality bakes can be solved as I outlined above. As for UV space, I have no tips here since I know S4 has a pretty freaky texturing system and I'm not very familiar with it. Do what you must.

Another thing about the textures. They're all blown out. By blown out, I mean they're too bright, to the point where the shaders in the game can't cope with it and all the shading is lost, leaving a big blob of color on screen. Even for the brightest colors, it's standard practice in CG work to leave those at around 80% brightness. Same thing goes for blacks. Even the blackest black garments should never, ever be at 0% brightness. That way shaders have leeway to do their thing and compute lighting correctly. Pick some bright and dark garments from the base game. Open their textures and sample them using the color picker. Take note of the levels and use those for your own textures.

One more thing. Specular highlights on shiny clothes don't belong in the diffuse texture. It's ok to add some ambient occlusion to the diffuse since S4 doesn't have a dedicated texture slot for it. But specular is a *view-dependent* phenomenon and never, ever belongs in the diffuse texture. The proper way is to use shader settings and specular textures that denote which parts of a mesh are shiny and how much. If I'm not mistaken, S4 also supports environment maps (AKA cubemaps) that work with masks. (These should probably only be used on metals and not on dielectrics) As I said before, S4 does some weird shit with their texture formats, so this may not be a path you are able to make work, but still, if you must use include highlights in Diffuse, make sure to also include a swatch without it. It just makes clothes look weird and wrong.

That's about it. I'm not a Sims modder, so I can't answer any specific questions about S4, but feel free to ask if you have any questions about the non S4-specific parts.

Again, please don't take this the wrong way, I like your mods and just want you to improve on your process :)

Edit: http://sims4studio.com/thread/1722/tutorial-basic-guide-specular-editing

This looks like a tutorial on specular editing and exporting to S4. Seems easy enough. Back when they first figured out EA's proprietary format, this was way more complicated :)

Edit2: http://sims4studio.com/thread/9064/tutorial-normal-bump-baking-blender

And this looks like a good tutorial for baking normal maps. Top Google results link to some other tutorials on normal mapping for S4, but they're stupid idiotic nonsense. Don't use those. Use this one.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Koffii said:

Ok, I like your designs, and I don't mean to be negative here. I've been doing CG for 20 years, and I just want you to improve, so please take this as constructive criticism and not just me being malcontent, ok? :)

I don't mean your designs. Those are cool. I mean your specific arrangements of polygons that make up the clothes. What it *looks* like you're doing is making your meshes with Marvellous, or other similar cloth-sim based method, and then using the results directly as a mesh in sims. (I suppose you could also be modelling or sculpting by hand, but weirdly and pointlessly using a lot of square grids) This results in a high density, high noise mesh that neither looks good, nor does it deform predictably after it gets mangled with the Sims4 body deformation and rigging system. To make these meshes work directly in S4, you have to keep them quite low-poly *by cloth sim standards*, and they come out jagged and not very pleasing. However, they have a polycount that's rather high *by the base game's standards*. Well, modern hardware copes with it just fine, so this is a secondary concern.

Now, the idea of using cloth sims to make clothes is fine, however, you should not be using the resulting meshes directly in S4. Instead, make your cloth sims much denser on the first pass and add some Catmull-Clark subdivision on top of that to make it smooth and realistic. Then make a secondary mesh, by hand, on top of the first one. Whenever you have body-conforming parts, base them off the topology of your favorite body. Where it doesn't conform, keep it low poly and ignore all the internal crevices and such, taking most care to capture the profile well, with edges running along the folds in the cloth, never across them. Unwrap that, and bake all the detail from the high density mesh you had made earlier onto this one. You'll get a smooth, beautiful mesh that deforms well this way. I realize this is more work, but the results are *so* worth it. I also realize there's some nasty shenanigans involved in working with the S4 texture formats for normals and specular, but even if you fail to make those work, (and I wish I could help here, but again, I'm not familiar with the particulars of S4 modding, but I'm sure tutorials exist, right?) just baking the diffuse with some pleasant neutral lighting and some ambient occlusion should look great. This is what they did for Hawken.

Now, the textures.

Your textures are either very low resolution, you're using bakes of very low quality, or you're not using your texture space efficiently (i haven't actually looked at them in PS to check which). Resolution is an easy fix, so do it, don't skimp on the pixels, modern hardware is awesome compared to when S4 came out. Low quality bakes can be solved as I outlined above. As for UV space, I have no tips here since I know S4 has a pretty freaky texturing system and I'm not very familiar with it. Do what you must.

Another thing about the textures. They're all blown out. By blown out, I mean they're too bright, to the point where the shaders in the game can't cope with it and all the shading is lost, leaving a big blob of color on screen. Even for the brightest colors, it's standard practice in CG work to leave those at around 80% brightness. Same thing goes for blacks. Even the blackest black garments should never, ever be at 0% brightness. That way shaders have leeway to do their thing and compute lighting correctly. Pick some bright and dark garments from the base game. Open their textures and sample them using the color picker. Take note of the levels and use those for your own textures.

One more thing. Specular highlights on shiny clothes don't belong in the diffuse texture. It's ok to add some ambient occlusion to the diffuse since S4 doesn't have a dedicated texture slot for it. But specular is a *view-dependent* phenomenon and never, ever belongs in the diffuse texture. The proper way is to use shader settings and specular textures that denote which parts of a mesh are shiny and how much. If I'm not mistaken, S4 also supports environment maps (AKA cubemaps) that work with masks. (These should probably only be used on metals and not on dielectrics) As I said before, S4 does some weird shit with their texture formats, so this may not be a path you are able to make work, but still, if you must use include highlights in Diffuse, make sure to also include a swatch without it. It just makes clothes look weird and wrong.

That's about it. I'm not a Sims modder, so I can't answer any specific questions about S4, but feel free to ask if you have any questions about the non S4-specific parts.

Again, please don't take this the wrong way, I like your mods and just want you to improve on your process :)

This looks like a tutorial on specular editing and exporting to S4. Seems easy enough. Back when they first figured out EA's proprietary format, this was way more complicated :)

And this looks like a good tutorial for baking normal maps. Top Google results link to some other tutorials on normal mapping for S4, but they're stupid idiotic nonsense. Don't use those. Use this one.

Hi thanks for the constructive criticism i do appreciate it, and i do know that i have a alot of areas where i have to improve (though i did start doing it 3 month ago, and before that i had 0 experience with any sort of CG programs ... though i suppose it doesn't matter), so i hope in time i will implement some of your suggestion/criticism into my work...but the process will be slow and will require some time :)

41 minutes ago, crabb said:

Hello @sstormyy thank you for the update! I am looking for this belt top I saw in the photos, do you know what it is called?

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.f7e10627c705377de24fffb5a6a76045.png

The original mesh is by https://smafterdark.tumblr.com/image/171616002756, I just edited it so it would fit the maxis base...don't get me wrong his work is fantastic, but just the top feels too big for my taste :)

Spoiler
15 hours ago, Koffii said:

Now, the textures.

yeah so i do have a question, though not sure if it's dumb or not :D ... but here we go ... what do you mean by "make your cloth sims much denser " and '' Then make a secondary mesh, by hand, on top of the first one." ...should i make the secondary mesh in blender ???

thanks in advance :)

1 hour ago, sstormyy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

yeah so i do have a question, though not sure if it's dumb or not :D ... but here we go ... what do you mean by "make your cloth sims much denser " and '' Then make a secondary mesh, by hand, on top of the first one." ...should i make the secondary mesh in blender ???

thanks in advance :)

Well, basically, yes. The more polys you have, the higher fidelity the simulation and the less visible stair-stepping you will have. Crank your particle distance (you are using Marvelous, right?) as low as you're willing to bear, then export that into some format like OBJ. If you have Zbrush or 3d-Coat, import it there and retopologize it using the respective automatic tool (z-remesher in zbrush, autopo in 3dcoat). If not, just import it as-is into Blender, Max, Maya, c4d, houdini, what have you, throw on some subdivision to smooth out the kinks (this will probably push your polycount into the millions, but it should be fine :D), and start building the low-poly mesh by snapping it to the surface of the big, bad but beautiful mesh.

Spoiler
41 minutes ago, Koffii said:

Well, basically, yes. The more polys you have, the higher fidelity the simulation and the less visible stair-stepping you will have. Crank your particle distance (you are using Marvelous, right?) as low as you're willing to bear, then export that into some format like OBJ. If you have Zbrush or 3d-Coat, import it there and retopologize it using the respective automatic tool (z-remesher in zbrush, autopo in 3dcoat). If not, just import it as-is into Blender, Max, Maya, c4d, houdini, what have you, throw on some subdivision to smooth out the kinks (this will probably push your polycount into the millions, but it should be fine :D), and start building the low-poly mesh by snapping it to the surface of the big, bad but beautiful mesh.

i see...i see maybe you could recommend some sort of a tutorial on how i could build the low-poly mesh...i do understand now how to get the high poly mesh...but then my knowledge of mesh building is close to nothing, and i am not really sure how i can "building the low-poly mesh by snapping it to the surface of the big, bad but beautiful mesh"  so if you know any sort of tutorial, i would love the help :)

This video covers the basics of the process, although this guy is retopologizing for high end animation rather than a game engine. But the process is the same. For S4 work, you can skip the subdiv, and also there's no good reason to keep your mesh quad-only like this guy is doing. Even for high end animation, keeping meshes quad only is more of a vanity/showing off thing :)

Open up some Base game S4 assets and take a look at those meshes to just get a feel for how dense the meshes are, and then aim for a little denser in your own meshes because computers have gotten much better since then. Treat it as a feel thing, trying to conform to a particular triangle limit is mostly pointless. For form-fitting clothes that hug the body tightly, or at least should, like your gimp suit, try to place most vertices smack dab over the vertices of the body mesh (in fact, you can just copy the body mesh and lop off the parts you don't need using boolean operations, maybe offset it a tiny little bit). This will ensure the clothes deform well in the game. Flor clothes that don't follow the body too closely, try to capture the shilouette first and foremost. Do not worry too much about crevices and concave areas, you have textures for those. Try to follow the natural curves of the large wrinkles that will be visible in the shilouette (from any angle), but ignore the small ones that won't. Don't be afraid to turn off your snapping and apply the shrinkwrap and model tricky parts by hand.

That's about it. It's not that complicated. :)

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Koffii said:

This video covers the basics of the process, although this guy is retopologizing for high end animation rather than a game engine. But the process is the same. For S4 work, you can skip the subdiv, and also there's no good reason to keep your mesh quad-only like this guy is doing. Even for high end animation, keeping meshes quad only is more of a vanity/showing off thing :)

Open up some Base game S4 assets and take a look at those meshes to just get a feel for how dense the meshes are, and then aim for a little denser in your own meshes because computers have gotten much better since then. Treat it as a feel thing, trying to conform to a particular triangle limit is mostly pointless. For form-fitting clothes that hug the body tightly, or at least should, like your gimp suit, try to place most vertices smack dab over the vertices of the body mesh (in fact, you can just copy the body mesh and lop off the parts you don't need using boolean operations, maybe offset it a tiny little bit). This will ensure the clothes deform well in the game. Flor clothes that don't follow the body too closely, try to capture the shilouette first and foremost. Do not worry too much about crevices and concave areas, you have textures for those. Try to follow the natural curves of the large wrinkles that will be visible in the shilouette (from any angle), but ignore the small ones that won't. Don't be afraid to turn off your snapping and apply the shrinkwrap and model tricky parts by hand.

That's about it. It's not that complicated. :)

Thanks i'll look into it ! :D ...though just for the record 80 % of what you said sounded like mumbo jumbo to me :D:D ... i do indeed have a lot to learn :)

Well, I just don't want to sound condescending by explaining the basics. This is sort of a tip of the iceberg situation. I couldn't hope to be comprehensive in a forum thread really, there's like real world several-year long courses for this stuff at college. But hopefully, it will start making sense to you once you've experimented a little bit, maybe made some mistakes, observed the results.

Oh, one more thing has come to my attention about Marvellous - it uses triangle meshes by default. If you want your meshes to be smoothed nicely later in blender or zbrush, use quad meshes instead. This is pretty important :) 

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Koffii said:

Well, I just don't want to sound condescending by explaining the basics. This is sort of a tip of the iceberg situation. I couldn't hope to be comprehensive in a forum thread really, there's like real world several-year long courses for this stuff at college. But hopefully, it will start making sense to you once you've experimented a little bit, maybe made some mistakes, observed the results.

Oh, one more thing has come to my attention about Marvellous - it uses triangle meshes by default. If you want your meshes to be smoothed nicely later in blender or zbrush, use quad meshes instead. This is pretty important :) 

ohh no you don't sound condescending...not at all, i really appreciate your help (i hope it doesn't sound like sarcasm :D, because i do mean it )...otherwise you'll never get better if someone wouldn't point out the errors :D