Guild Wars 2 - Score 10/10 -Perfect Game???

thesapien

Well, it was because of AngryJoe that I tried Skyrim, my first Beth game. Should I try Guild Wars 2, which just topped his all time charts? It has no monthly fee. I've never really given an MMO a try, but he makes it sound good. And the single player sounds huge still, too.

[video=youtube]

Angry Joe just cracks me up. I do tend to agree with him in more things than I disagree. I will probably get Guild Wars 2 eventually. Probably not until the price falls a bit however. I still have an F'ton of games I picked up on the last steam sale that I still haven't had time to play!

I just love GW2. PvE is fun and the system truly rewards playing cooperatively, which is nice. Old areas are useful even after leveling past due to the way effective level is downscaled when visiting lower level areas. Structured PvP I haven't tried yet, but WvWvW is a blast. The sheer size of the areas, supply system, siege engines... it all adds to make it interesting, fun and very much varied. There are bugs, of course, but bug fixes seem to come at fast pace (at least compared to my previous MMO experiences) so I am fine with the situation.

All in all, this will be my MMO for a long time.

I tried the game during the beta, fairly decent game - considering it's f2p - but not enough to get me hooked. I did however really fall in love with the lore in the original Guildwars game, so I might considering buying it at a later date.

With Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 just around the corner, I just feel like I can't be arsed to buy a game that I find "decent".

That being said, I'll be sticking with TERA for the time being.

Angry joe is my preferred reviewer of any game. He really breaks down the games and goes into detail (however I disagree with him giving Skyrim a 10 as well as giving Mortal Kombat only a 9).

I watched the review and because I believe what he's saying I can't wait to buy and try out this game. He's right at least in the fact that you will get your money's worth, that's fact. I think all his points are valid.

To be honest, I think the price is low enough as it already is. Considering the sheer amount of content in the game, and the fact that you don't pay subscriptions. But that's just what I think.

I tried the game during the beta' date=' fairly decent game - considering it's f2p - but not enough to get me hooked. I did however really fall in love with the lore in the original Guildwars game, so I might considering buying it at a later date.

With Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 just around the corner, I just feel like I can't be arsed to buy a game that I find "decent".

[/quote']

The only thing that TERA has in it's favor are the skimpy armors, really.

I tried the game during the beta' date=' fairly decent game - considering it's f2p - but not enough to get me hooked. I did however really fall in love with the lore in the original Guildwars game, so I might considering buying it at a later date.

[/quote']

The only thing that TERA has in it's favor are the skimpy armors, really.

Personally I feel the combat system of TERA is much more amusing than the one being used in GW2, but to each his own I guess.

I Agree with Joe to be honest, compared to other MMO's out there you are getting fantastic value for money, subscription fee's are a huge turnoff for me with other games.

I'd love to get into them but the cost implication makes it feel more of a chore than a good time, you feel you need to play the game constantly to actually get your moneys worth and other games you own end up on the shelf. A major problem I had with WoW which caused me to lose interest.

I wouldn't class Guild Wars 2 as an WoW killer yet but it will certainly reach a great level of sales and popularity, plus I would happily buy any future expansion packs too simply based on the fact I am not paying a subscription. (again I stopped playing WoW after the first expansion pack was released based off the fact I felt I was just getting ripped off)

I know most people are in disagreement over the 10/10 score, But that said given the list of all the other MMO's out there, how would you rate them?

in my sincere opinion i have the game in the very beginning i liked it, but it had a lot of bugs and lag, so it turn me off, but after a week the lag decrease a lot in my case so i start playing again and now that i discover about crafting, im loving the game more than ever and in lvl 35, im doing my first dungeon and the dungeons sounds amazing looking forward to them XD

best advice i can give you if you have friends that dont have time or doesnt connect that much do the main quest alone. LOVING THE CHARR MAIN QUEST XD

I have been rocking the Tyria as a Norn Guardian. He's level 65 now and deep into the main quest.

I played WoW, GuildWars, SWToR, Age of Conan, Diablo2 and 3 and Aeon. None of those..NONE can compare to the level of immersion found in GW2.

HOWEVER!

If you have any hint of ADD I recommend you NOT play this game. There is constantly something happening around you that will grab your attention from what you had planned on doing. And that "Just one more hour" becomes.. "Holy shit the sun is coming up!"

gw001zd.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Oh yeah one more thing..

IT'S FREE TO FUCKING PLAY AFTER YOU BUY THE GAME. EAT MY SHORTS, BLIZZARD, YOU SCUM SUCKING ASSHATS!

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely recommend Guild Wars 2. As stated above, the best MMO to date, and one of the best overall games to date. The personal story is it's own little single player rpg, and the rest of the game fixes so many things wrong with other MMOs.

I've been playing since Aug 25th, my main is level 50, alt is 20. I'm on the Tarnished Coast server, which is widely known as the "unofficial roleplay server" and I can say that the community is great.

Quick note of a few things that make the game excellent:

-No party required for anything except dungeons. Anyone who helps kill something, whether it be a single bear or a giant dragon, gets their own loot and xp

-Player level and gear scales to the level of the zone. You will never "outlevel" a dungeon, you can go back and play with your friends when they start a new character, you can explore the world and you will always be the level of the enemies around you, and will therefore get xp appropriate to that level.

-The best, most natural crafting system ever developed in a game.

-Be in multiple guilds, across servers, and jump to other servers to play with your friends, then come back to your home server.

-Anytime you join pvp, you, your gear, and your abilities are set to max level.

-Combat is fun. Jumping, dodging, combining your abilities with your friends to do more damage and earn more xp.

This game is fun :I

I'm a level 63 engi on the Erradon Terrace server and this game is pretty fun, although it does contain lots of bugs, one specifically plaguing me from keeping me from finishing the story quest is that whenever i see some sort of event that will pan teh camera out somewhere and it comes back my character is invisible and the game will crash :<

Either way this game I find is alot like pso2 in where there is random events and people have to team up to kill the giant mob that comes out

GW2... It's a good game. It's not the best, but it's good. I guess an 8/10 is what I'd give it, because if falls short in a few things for me.

Of course, you can disagree. What I type here is what I look for in a game.

Firstly, the pace. It's very slow compared to some other games. Especially for such a huge game, I feel the movement speed outside of combat just doesn't cut it for me.

Then there is the fact that the skills are set depending on which weapons one has equipped, so like in the original GW builds will be made very quickly and everyone will be able to search the web for about five minutes, and *puff* you got "Build Wars 2" all over again.

Speaking of skills, I found the fact that the first skill is always the basic autoattack rather lame.

Next, the fact that there isn't a real healer, and that resurrecting allies doesn't require a skill severely limits what could be included in instanced group and raid content.

Lastly, the hall of monuments was... A let down to say the least. My friend's girlfriend worked pretty hard to get all the points, and the items were just lackluster. The fact the GWAMM title wasn't added last I asked her didn't help either. Yes, I am typing this over the pain of others. Sue me.

On the other hand, GW2 has many things going for it. The scenery, for one. The fact there are less skill combinations makes them easier to balance. The rewards for exploration definitely rate high in my book, and the fact there are a lot of armor sets is a huge improvement over GW1.

But, perhaps the biggest thing going for GW2 is that PvP is balanced.

So, yeah, overall a solid 8/10 in my opinion. It's a good game, but I have others to play for now, hopefully until DotA 2 makes it's public release.

GW2... It's a good game. It's not the best' date=' but it's good. I guess an 8/10 is what I'd give it, because if falls short in a few things for me.

1()Firstly, the pace. It's very slow compared to some other games. Especially for such a huge game, I feel the movement speed outside of combat just doesn't cut it for me.

2()Then there is the fact that the skills are set depending on which weapons one has equipped, so like in the original GW builds will be made very quickly and everyone will be able to search the web for about five minutes, and *puff* you got "Build Wars 2" all over again.

Speaking of skills, I found the fact that the first skill is always the basic autoattack rather lame.

(3)Next, the fact that there isn't a real healer, and that resurrecting allies doesn't require a skill severely limits what could be included in instanced group and raid content.

(4)Lastly, the hall of monuments was... A let down to say the least. My friend's girlfriend worked pretty hard to get all the points, and the items were just lackluster. The fact the GWAMM title wasn't added last I asked her didn't help either. Yes, I am typing this over the pain of others. Sue me.

[/quote']

1: depends on which class you play, as a ranger i have an eagle that gives me move speed and a 10% passive signet for move speed as well, whereas my engineer i couldn't find anything to move faster out of combat, coming from other mmos that have mounts you also have to use way points, which gw1 made use of heavily

2:also depends on class b/c 1 is the autoattack yes, but guardian has sword which goes thru a cycle of three types, whereas mesmer with staff just shoots out a bolt, utility skills are the variety, and as far as build wise i really doubt that too much because of where trait lines differ as far as what is in them

3:I like the rez system in guildwars 2, its not limited by spell which makes it better, no waiting on cd, no limits on how many times you can use it, only time to get them back up, that makes it better for raiding or any other instance play since instead of "oh my rez is on cooldown, or we have used all rezs for this combat situation so we wipe now and have to start all over" i can go over and try to squeeze that rez and still keep going

4: the hall of monument is for cosmetic items only, but the good thing is you can transmute the item cosmetic onto anything forever, and the titles are still good and can be gotten anytime, the grind was only from 31-50 anyway

GW2... It's a good game. It's not the best' date=' but it's good. I guess an 8/10 is what I'd give it, because if falls short in a few things for me.

1()Firstly, the pace. It's very slow compared to some other games. Especially for such a huge game, I feel the movement speed outside of combat just doesn't cut it for me.

2()Then there is the fact that the skills are set depending on which weapons one has equipped, so like in the original GW builds will be made very quickly and everyone will be able to search the web for about five minutes, and *puff* you got "Build Wars 2" all over again.

(3)Next, the fact that there isn't a real healer, and that resurrecting allies doesn't require a skill severely limits what could be included in instanced group and raid content.

(4)Lastly, the hall of monuments was... A let down to say the least. My friend's girlfriend worked pretty hard to get all the points, and the items were just lackluster. The fact the GWAMM title wasn't added last I asked her didn't help either. Yes, I am typing this over the pain of others. Sue me.

[/quote']

1: depends on which class you play, as a ranger i have an eagle that gives me move speed and a 10% passive signet for move speed as well, whereas my engineer i couldn't find anything to move faster out of combat, coming from other mmos that have mounts you also have to use way points, which gw1 made use of heavily

2:also depends on class b/c 1 is the autoattack yes, but guardian has sword which goes thru a cycle of three types, whereas mesmer with staff just shoots out a bolt, utility skills are the variety, and as far as build wise i really doubt that too much because of where trait lines differ as far as what is in them

3:I like the rez system in guildwars 2, its not limited by spell which makes it better, no waiting on cd, no limits on how many times you can use it, only time to get them back up, that makes it better for raiding or any other instance play since instead of "oh my rez is on cooldown, or we have used all rezs for this combat situation so we wipe now and have to start all over" i can go over and try to squeeze that rez and still keep going

4: the hall of monument is for cosmetic items only, but the good thing is you can transmute the item cosmetic onto anything forever, and the titles are still good and can be gotten anytime, the grind was only from 31-50 anyway

well since i main engi, ill tell you engineer does have a movement speed increase outside of battle, the skill is called a med kit and the 5th skill in the med kit grants movement speed and fury for 7 seconds, not only that there is a trait that grants movement speed when equipping a kit that lasts for 5 seconds and cant be recast until another 5 seconds. Combine that trait plus the med kit skill and you can have infinite movement speed boost as long as you keep stacking the 5th skill and spamming requip medkit. At most i've ever reached was 2mins of increased movement speed and by then i had finished wandering around the entire area.

[/quote']

well since i main engi, ill tell you engineer does have a movement speed increase outside of battle, the skill is called a med kit and the 5th skill in the med kit grants movement speed and fury for 7 seconds, not only that there is a trait that grants movement speed when equipping a kit that lasts for 5 seconds and cant be recast until another 5 seconds. Combine that trait plus the med kit skill and you can have infinite movement speed boost as long as you keep stacking the 5th skill and spamming requip medkit. At most i've ever reached was 2mins of increased movement speed and by then i had finished wandering around the entire area.

For your information one of the engi's elixir's also gives 10 sec 33% movement speed with a 30 sec cooldown it also gives power and can be thrown for a chance of another movement speed buff. Also for point 2 the basic skill isnt an autoattack skill its merely set as autoattack and u can set any other skill on autoattack with shift+click and that will remove the auto attack from the 1st skill. Also i have no idea what you're talking about. everyone makes the build that best suit them. Even if they search "builds" it doesn't mean that they can use it effectively not to mention there is a different set of skills unlockable with skillpoints and racial skills and elite skills. so a rather large amount of combination is possible besides ive seen same class ppl use different weps from eachother with different skill combinations. As for healing every class can heal but as far as ive seen the best class for healing is the guardian but the engi can also heal with the healing turret and tossing elixirs at ppl not to mention the elixir gun has rather good buffs available. Also in most games you cant even resurrect until the end of the battle or in-battle resses have long cooldowns.

I do aggree with point no.1 movement speed is quite slow even with speed buffs so heres hoping for mounts.

I guess you didn't really understand... Wall of text warning.

(1) Firstly, point 1 wasn't just about whether MS buffs existed or not. Look at high-geared Aion assassin play to get what I'm talking about. The attack speed is very fast, as it's increased by scrolls, high-grade gloves, high-grade weapons, buffs etc.

Then movespeed is constantly increased by scrolls (+30%), boots (+22%) and the assassin's sprinting buff (+20%). Inquin transformation, gives another few %. All of these stack.

Look at this for an example of Aion assassin pvp:

(2) From what I saw, one of the skills (doesn't matter which number you put on it) is always the auto attack. It's not considered much of a skill in other games. Even if it's only the case in some weapons, it still shouldn't be there.

As for having "three" swings for a greatsword, that's actually not a first. Land of Chaos Online used to have 3-4 attack animations for each character when they stood still, and another when moving or jumping. None of these were considered a "skill".

(3) Now, about resurrections and healing: there are reasons for and against this. One of the major reasons for this is that it reduces time to go to dungeons (less LFG, more play) and group-play immensely. It also allows Anet to scale encounters and events based on the number of players, without the players getting overwhelmed because there is no healer.

On the other hand, when you go into a dungeon, where the max player number is 5 (I think?) having no healer limits what kinds of monsters can be placed there, and the difficulty of said monsters.

Having no cooldown or cost on resurrection also limits what can be placed in dungeons, but in a different manner.

If you played Rift, it's a nice example of what you can do with healers. Most, if not all, of the bosses there would not work if combat-resurrection was free and without cooldown time.

(4) Yes, hall of monument items are cosmetic. But it's also the only real reward a player has for playing GW1.

They are just too underwhelming. Some of them looked better in their GW1 versions (the felblade, for example).

The pets are nice, I guess, but I feel they aren't worth the effort.

(5) Finally, builds: people will always try to find what's most effective. It happened in GW1, it happened in Rift and it'll happen in GW2 as well.

If by taking some traits and skills a player can get a more effective skill build (more damage, more speed, whatever) he will do so.

Developers will always be forced to create content for the strongest builds available, because otherwise it will be too easy, which will draw more people to use the builds and get rewards. The builds will then be just as common, but PvE will be a joke.

So the builds will become standard.

Anyone could invent a new one, of course, but how many people bother to run the numbers? And what game is so balanced, that there is more than two or three viable builds for each class?

The builds will take a while. There are already guides out there. When an MMO is built like GW2, it's doomed to have builds.

So, all in all, I think I was fair in giving it 8/10. Perhaps even generous considering the fact the graphic engine is about seven years old by now.

Hi everyone - this isn't like the previous posts before this one by other people, read if you like, or don't :):heart:

I read all the posts up until "ThatOne"'s previous post before this.

I'm.. saddened by what i'm seeing in gw2 chat, and forums, and reviews for GW2. There are some nice friendly debates going on about pve, combat, appearence for weapons and armor, bugs and so on which is ok and totally acceptable.

I read through the posts hoping to see what i expected, but it's missing from everyones posts, including in IM's and /map say in gw2. It really is what seperates it from the previous GW, as well as it's new systems and focuses.

One post was saying reviving requires no skill, but stats do help your reviving skill to boost how fast you revive someone. But that's easy to miss and not so important to mention really.

The one thing that truely is missing, nobody is comparing the scenery, the views, the effort that's been hand crafted into all of the maps. The human city for WoW.. 20x smaller than the human city in gw2, and 5x shorter in height maybe? and 100x more beautiful, same with all the other cities, they all outdo WoW in a split second in beauty and design and originality. The glow in the game bringing out the brightness of the lands and waters and even underwater, it's heavenly.. someone did say immersive but meant it for something else. Scenery helps the immersion, when you are comfortable in the environment of how it looks it drops you right in there.

I don't think i'm being unreasonable, to expect people to actually stop for a moment when up on a high cliff above the norn starter area and look out over the cold land, then to think "i can actually go down there.. nothing is stopping me.. this is freedom". So many mmo's and games have boundaries somewhere, so does GW2 but mostly because of the funding and time they had, and look what they compromised to do it. A few walls there a few portals here for simple boundaries, but a persistant map that can hold more than 90 people per area.. unlike perfect world mmo's, unlike gw1, unlike many f2p or previously paytoplay mmo's.

Also right now the only issues i see with the game concerning bugs are so simple that people don't notice it. Other mmo's restart their game servers costantly to fix these issues, but gw2 doesn't restart them that often.

So they patch it, restart the server, some npcs have an error and become invisible/unrendered. Some events become unmanagible, other crazy things happen and none of them are bugs to start with. One simple restart and they will be fine, but something else will now be glitched, because it had the same issue. Or maybe after the 20th time everything will have loaded properly with no conflicts or errors. (that would be a miracle!!)

GW2 deserves a 10/10 for beauty and effort with the funding they had and not using too many bad ideas that bombed mmo's like the SWG overhaul. (which can be blamed solely on the community feedback and ideas forums by jerk players, and soe for even reading those threads.)

GW2 deserves a 10/10 for mixing it's history and making a friendly environment that keeps people helping each other, and meeting at random and swapping ideas away from the competitive environment which is lions arch. (though i'm only guessing as a lvl 31 warrior nord with 4 other characters still to lvl up, having not gotten full involved with lions arch like i did in gw1.)

And finally GW2 deserves a 10/10 for having to keep all this going as smooth as possible while they have to fight off these bots and stolen accounts and the gem market rising because of goldsellers buying gems none stop, and of course the trading points that goldsellers are also ruining, to suit their own gain. I mean they added new report buttons specially for bots and goldsellers only two or one week ago, now theres even more of them suddenly and goldmail spam, as if it's a desperate plea to buy from them before they get wiped out.

What a rant :) i'm not targeting anyone specifically, or bringing anything down, only hoping that i'm right that people should notice the beauty this game has compared to the other mmo's you put it up against.

Please do pm me if you feel the need to attack any of this, to keep it out of the thread and private, i don't subscribe to threads thanks to my hotmail being locked up with spam, which is slowly dying down with the new settings i'm using ^.^ So i'll check back at some point to see how the thread is doing one day, but not really expecting a reply for me or about this post. :)

Remember cats have a right to be infinity by default, learn from them ^.^

Archived