Okay, I give up. I need actual help with this mess. Dogmeat's textures don't look like that of literally any other creature in the game (all of which I have been able to open, edit, etc without an issue) and I am fucking stumped (and so frustrated that I'm seeing RED, jesus fucking christ!). Please, please help me figure out how to edit this garbage heap of a dog before I lose my absolute shit. I see TONS of mods out there that edit Dogmeat, so why can't I get my shit in order and figure it out? Help. Please help. For the love of god, fucking help.

fuckthisdstupidfuckingshit.png

Not sure what you're asking.... as in how many files would one have to edit to change his coloring?  Only a few....  

The NIF references the following BGSMs (and their textures):

1. DogmeatHead.bgsm
    1. DogmeatHeadRev_d
    2. DogmeatHeadRev_n
    3. DogmeatHeadRev_s
  2. DogmeatHeadFur.bgsm
    1. DogmeatHeadRev_d
    2. DogmeatHeadRev_n
    3. DogmeatHeadRev_s
  3. DogmeatBody.bgsm
    1. DogmeatBody_d
    2. DogmeatBody_n
    3. DogmeatBody_s
  4. DogmeatBodyFur.bgsm
    1. DogmeatBody_d
    2. DogmeatBody_n
    3. DogmeatBody_s
  5. DogmeatEyes.bgsm
    1. Dogmeat_eyes_d
    2. Dogmeat_eyes_n
    3. Dogmeat_eyes_s
  6. DogmeatHeadFur.bgsm (it's there twice)
    1. DogmeatHeadRev_d
    2. DogmeatHeadRev_n
    3. DogmeatHeadRev_s

If you are just looking to change his coloring, and don't care about the specular or normal map, then you just need to worry about the 3 *_d files:

1. DogmeatHeadRev_d
  2. DogmeatBody_d
  3. Dogmeat_eyes_d

I *think* thought not 100% sure but the files with the d2k s2k and n2k are for the hires pack, if you use it.  Looks like they were included in the base game, but I can't find a reference to them anywhere.  Most dogmeat mods don't include them, but it happens that the one I use does: Shadow the Dark Husky (replacer version)

1 hour ago, AWP3RATOR said:

Not sure what you're asking.... as in how many files would one have to edit to change his coloring?  Only a few....  

The NIF references the following BGSMs (and their textures):

1. DogmeatHead.bgsm
    1. DogmeatHeadRev_d
    2. DogmeatHeadRev_n
    3. DogmeatHeadRev_s
  2. DogmeatHeadFur.bgsm
    1. DogmeatHeadRev_d
    2. DogmeatHeadRev_n
    3. DogmeatHeadRev_s
  3. DogmeatBody.bgsm
    1. DogmeatBody_d
    2. DogmeatBody_n
    3. DogmeatBody_s
  4. DogmeatBodyFur.bgsm
    1. DogmeatBody_d
    2. DogmeatBody_n
    3. DogmeatBody_s
  5. DogmeatEyes.bgsm
    1. Dogmeat_eyes_d
    2. Dogmeat_eyes_n
    3. Dogmeat_eyes_s
  6. DogmeatHeadFur.bgsm (it's there twice)
    1. DogmeatHeadRev_d
    2. DogmeatHeadRev_n
    3. DogmeatHeadRev_s

If you are just looking to change his coloring, and don't care about the specular or normal map, then you just need to worry about the 3 *_d files:

1. DogmeatHeadRev_d
  2. DogmeatBody_d
  3. Dogmeat_eyes_d

I *think* thought not 100% sure but the files with the d2k s2k and n2k are for the hires pack, if you use it.  Looks like they were included in the base game, but I can't find a reference to them anywhere.  Most dogmeat mods don't include them, but it happens that the one I use does: Shadow the Dark Husky (replacer version)

I'm going to sound dumb as a post, but none of that made sense to me. I'm used to editing "head.dds" then "body.dds". How do I get my texture to work on dogmeat?

Sorry - Dogmeat is set up similarly to the others (head, body, etc.)  See these 3 below, this is what you're after:

1. DogmeatHeadRev_d
  2. DogmeatBody_d
  3. Dogmeat_eyes_d

Aside from that... I *think* (haven't confirmed yet) that the files of the same name with d2k.dds are the end are the ones for the hi-resolution texture pack from Bethesda.  I don't use that pack and haven't been able to find any information on what the "2k" representation is.  It seems though that after inspecting the files, they are both 2048 (or 2k) resolution, with only minute differences in detail.

In terms of texture modding in general...  both Skyrim and Fallout include 3 files for nearly all in-game models:

diffuse (_d at the end) - main coloring of a model, this is what you mainly see in-game

normal (_n at the end) - defines how light behaves, establishes fake high/low areas (like a bump map) (darker is "lower" and brighter is "higher")

specular (_s at the end) - shininess/glossiness of a model (darker is duller, lighter is more shiny)

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/What_are_all_these_texture_files%3F

http://wiki.splashdamage.com/index.php/Basic_Texture_Overview

In a straight recolor of any model, you'll be wanting to edit the diffuse file (_d).  If you are adding any details not already in the file, it's generally also a good idea to enhance them with the normal and specular maps.  Plenty of tutorials and videos on doing this around the this site, nexus, and the web.

1 hour ago, AWP3RATOR said:

Sorry - Dogmeat is set up similarly to the others (head, body, etc.)  See these 3 below, this is what you're after:

1. DogmeatHeadRev_d
  2. DogmeatBody_d
  3. Dogmeat_eyes_d

Aside from that... I *think* (haven't confirmed yet) that the files of the same name with d2k.dds are the end are the ones for the hi-resolution texture pack from Bethesda.  I don't use that pack and haven't been able to find any information on what the "2k" representation is.  It seems though that after inspecting the files, they are both 2048 (or 2k) resolution, with only minute differences in detail.

In terms of texture modding in general...  both Skyrim and Fallout include 3 files for nearly all in-game models:

diffuse (_d at the end) - main coloring of a model, this is what you mainly see in-game

normal (_n at the end) - defines how light behaves, establishes fake high/low areas (like a bump map) (darker is "lower" and brighter is "higher")

specular (_s at the end) - shininess/glossiness of a model (darker is duller, lighter is more shiny)

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/What_are_all_these_texture_files%3F

http://wiki.splashdamage.com/index.php/Basic_Texture_Overview

In a straight recolor of any model, you'll be wanting to edit the diffuse file (_d).  If you are adding any details not already in the file, it's generally also a good idea to enhance them with the normal and specular maps.  Plenty of tutorials and videos on doing this around the this site, nexus, and the web.

Alright, so... Dogmeat's _d files are basically nothing but a few tiny fur scraps, so that makes zero sense to me.

I've figured it out - you're not crazy.  I have also have Gimp.  I'm using 2.8.22 with the DDS plugin 3.0.1.  DogmeatheadRev_d opens with only part of the texture showing.  If you make changes and then import them to the game, it deletes that part of the texture, and dog meat turns mostly black.

However, I grabbed a free trial of Photoshop CC, installed the NVIDIA Texture Tools to look at the same texture, and it's all there.

So it appears there is an issue either with the DDS plugin itself and this texture (or textures like it) or we have both installed/not configured GIMP correctly.  I can not find any information on the web about this issue - it's pretty niche.  It's also the only time I've never seen this happen with a texture I was editing.

I will continue to look for a solution to this, because now it will bother me to no end.

PS_vs_Gimp.PNG

Solved it.  The image has an alpha layer.  I could see it quite easily in Photoshop, but with GIMP, it required a little work.  There doesn't seem to be a default option to do this on import though.

http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=80854

Hopefully, that resolves your issue!

It really is just the 3 files: 

1. DogmeatHeadRev_d
  2. DogmeatBody_d
  3. Dogmeat_eyes_d

16 hours ago, AWP3RATOR said:

Solved it.  The image has an alpha layer.  I could see it quite easily in Photoshop, but with GIMP, it required a little work.  There doesn't seem to be a default option to do this on import though.

http://forums.nba-live.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=80854

Hopefully, that resolves your issue!

It really is just the 3 files: 

1. DogmeatHeadRev_d
  2. DogmeatBody_d
  3. Dogmeat_eyes_d

I can't thank you enough :open_mouth: woah.

Archived