CK2 scripting hurts my brain

So I was trying to figure out why the Jus Primae Noctis isn't firing in Dark World.  I narrowed it down to this trigger in event DWCourt.910

I'm posting this outside the main DW thread because I'm unsure of my interpretation of CK2 bizarre syntax.  I don't want to post the "fixed" code block in that thread unless it's actually fixed.

trigger = {
        NOR = {
            event_target:dw_bride = { # We're trying not to catch our spouse here, since the new_character check we tried in .900 wasn't working as was hoped
                spouse = {
                    character = ROOT
                }
            }
            event_target:dw_bride = {  # Trying to keep a duplicate from taking place when you've a marriage within your own court
                spouse = {
                    NOT = { character = ROOT }
                }
                has_character_flag = dw_first_night_chosen
            }
            event_target:dw_bride = { # Trying to ensure that we don't catch ourselves if we're the bride (Futa catch)
                NOT = { character = ROOT }
            }
        }
    }

I can get the event to work by modifying this trigger in various ways, but I'm not sure I'm destroying the logic of the trigger in the process.  The problem is I don't understand exactly what's going on here.

First one I get -  I think.  It's just asking "Is this person married to the ruler?"

Second one.  Bride's spouse is not the ruler AND bride has flag dw_first_night_chosen. (unless I'm way off, this seems weird)

Third.  Bride is not the ruler.  (so if the bride is NOT the ruler - this will evaluate true and cause the event not to trigger.)

This is my "Fixed?" version.  I have confirmed that this allows the event to fire, but I'm not convinced I kept the intended filtering logic intact.  (I mean, if you changed the trigger to "yes" that would also make the event fire.)

trigger = {
        NOR = {
            event_target:dw_bride = { # We're trying not to catch our spouse here, since the new_character check we tried in .900 wasn't working as was hoped
                spouse = {
                    character = ROOT
                }
            }
            event_target:dw_bride = {  # Trying to keep a duplicate from taking place when you've a marriage within your own court
                spouse = {
                }
            }
            }
            event_target:dw_bride = { # Trying to ensure that we don't catch ourselves if we're the bride (Futa catch)
                character = ROOT
            }
        }
    }

Archived