Sprite editing in BlazBlue Central Fiction?

I want to make a Nude mod for BlazBlue Central Fiction (http://store.steampowered.com/app/586140/BlazBlue_Centralfiction/). I wouldn't ask anyone else to do the work because sprite modding in a fighting game is a huge undertaking

Using a program called Hipster I managed to extract the sprites and I know how to edit them, but I can't find a way to reinsert them successfully (despite the program having a function to reinsert images).

Can someone Help me find a way to insert sprites into this game?

The characters I'm looking at modding are:

nu 13/ lambda 11

ny000_04.png.84e8edca6c743e052b24f05f8f91071c.png

Makoto Nanaya

mk000_00.png.ae509f932a0d434200b9d74fd4ce81cc.png

Mu 12

mu000_01.png.26537f5288ff9bb5230eb9f164ccb7b9.png

Mai

ma000_01.thumb.png.39ac2302bc8c68ddb8bb7f2e13ebf93c.png

and Taokaka

tk000_01.png.910228cefff1ef98443cf332009649da.png

and maybe more

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's an update for you smart people out there.

I will paypal someone 50 dollars to figure out how to put sprites into this game. Give me a script that turns .bmps or .pngs into .hips and you could be 50 dollars richer. This is a commission for modders and programmers. Message me for details.

Negotiations are welcome as well.

• 4 months later...

Hi, probably resurrecting a dead topic, but I got answers so...

You have a Tool named HIPster, that can extract data, and from what i understood convert PNG in the correct format,

It's pretty hard to find on it's own via google (or I am very bad a keyword search...) but you can find the subreddit talking bout it easily, and here's a link (forwarded in the subreddit)
=> Evernote BBCF modding guide part 1

I'm personally trying to edit kokonoe for now to learn but hell am i bad a redrawing -_-

Enjoy,

Spoiler

Kokonoe Take 01-03

10 hours ago, sieldu said:

Hi, probably resurrecting a dead topic, but I got answers so...

You have a Tool named HIPster, that can extract data, and from what i understood convert PNG in the correct format,

It's pretty hard to find on it's own via google (or I am very bad a keyword search...) but you can find the subreddit talking bout it easily, and here's a link (forwarded in the subreddit)
=> Evernote BBCF modding guide part 1

I'm personally trying to edit kokonoe for now to learn but hell am i bad a redrawing -_-

Enjoy,

Reveal hidden contents

Kokonoe Take 01-03

have you managed to put this back into the game? because thats the main problem ive had with hipster

Speaking of which. My friend had a discord conversation with a modder who has inserted sprites into this game. He/She showed her how to do it and sent me pictures of the conversation, saying that I could share it with people. Unfortunately it seems to require Photoshop which I don't have.

320238318_spritetutorialpart1.thumb.png.9f88a031069ecea4ec938baa5a13d724.pngpart2.png

part3.thumb.png.07595fcc349d11c2b65a8b5fb249bc38.pngpart4.thumb.png.b1cb9f6cc8a640b4646b69998038ddc2.pngpart5.thumb.png.19493887547e2def5684f9ff4c331c20.pngpart6.thumb.png.d897bc3b3ff3cce594db123205833ddd.pngpart8.thumb.png.87f09053db5fac08aa623793132892ff.pngpart9.thumb.png.dce267e287c19d72f87262ce70445453.png

Well I thought hipster could save a file as a .hip which it can but it can't open the png file ...

I looked apart from with Photoshop, which I'm not sure can, the official tool to make .hip, is called Houdini

I didn't see any trial version so ... I got nothing sorry

Scratch that, just right click on any Sprite you want to replace in hipster and replace. and your good to go

Don't forget to make  save of the files before you edit anything

First try, game crashed when the edited sprite had to came to view

Edit :

Second and third try unsuccessful
here's what i'm trying to do at the moment :

Spoiler

ma062_09.png.0f44a6a175c3903081d175db7e857595.png =>ma062_09.png.bb0a10e9d8d968566f641d13f94124dc.png

I've event tried with the default palette and keeping the mask :

Spoiler

496292075_ma062_09(2).png.fff62122d28367e2d338f4a392a49ff8.png =>ma062_09.png.1e39e705132b9355c0d178b23b32d808.png

but the replacement doesn't work correctly, hipster crash when i try to reopen an edited sprite, and so does the game when the sprite is summoned.

By the way, lil disclaimer, All original content belong to their rightful creator, I only edited it a bit, Don't intend to sell or make any profit of any sort on those edit, and do not intend to use any successful edit online.

2 hours ago, sieldu said:

Well I thought hipster could save a file as a .hip which it can but it can't open the png file ...

I looked apart from with Photoshop, which I'm not sure can, the official tool to make .hip, is called Houdini

I didn't see any trial version so ... I got nothing sorry

Scratch that, just right click on any Sprite you want to replace in hipster and replace. and your good to go

Don't forget to make  save of the files before you edit anything

First try, game crashed when the edited sprite had to came to view

Edit :

Second and third try unsuccessful
here's what i'm trying to do at the moment :

Reveal hidden contents

ma062_09.png.0f44a6a175c3903081d175db7e857595.png =>ma062_09.png.bb0a10e9d8d968566f641d13f94124dc.png

I've event tried with the default palette and keeping the mask :

Hide contents

496292075_ma062_09(2).png.fff62122d28367e2d338f4a392a49ff8.png =>ma062_09.png.1e39e705132b9355c0d178b23b32d808.png

but the replacement doesn't work correctly, hipster crash when i try to reopen an edited sprite, and so does the game when the sprite is summoned.

By the way, lil disclaimer, All original content belong to their rightful creator, I only edited it a bit, Don't intend to sell or make any profit of any sort on those edit, and do not intend to use any successful edit online.

yeah ive been through this and it certainly doesn't work. ive tried taking a sprite out and putting it back unedited and it just doesnt work like that. im pretty sure the only way to do it is how that person did it in the discord convo i posted

On 7/16/2018 at 12:07 PM, bluerobot99 said:

Speaking of which. My friend had a discord conversation with a modder who has inserted sprites into this game. He/She showed her how to do it and sent me pictures of the conversation, saying that I could share it with people. Unfortunately it seems to require Photoshop which I don't have.

A more nefarious person might suggest you search for a portable version of Photoshop to download, but thankfully you do have legal options!

Trial page: https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/free-trial-download.html

And if you're using an older OS that can run it, you can always try Photoshop CS2; Adobe provides a free download that doesn't require activation...

Page: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html?promoid=19SCDRQK

Direct download: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/magic/creativesuite/CS2_EOL/PHSP/PhSp_CS2_English.exe

Good luck, we're rooting for you!

3 hours ago, The7thMaverick said:

A more nefarious person might suggest you search for a portable version of Photoshop to download, but thankfully you do have legal options!

Trial page: https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/free-trial-download.html

And if you're using an older OS that can run it, you can always try Photoshop CS2; Adobe provides a free download that doesn't require activation...

Page: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs2-product-downloads.html?promoid=19SCDRQK

Direct download: http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/magic/creativesuite/CS2_EOL/PHSP/PhSp_CS2_English.exe

Good luck, we're rooting for you!

If i can get a clear week where i have nothing else to do i might burn that trial. Until then, it will have to wait.

Problem is, even if you get something to save as a .hip, you need to get it back in the .pac, hipster does it but i don't know how to do it correctly, plus as I said I'm shitty at redrawing, so I'm only doing this for fun and to put in "Scene" i'm doing, which is what I mainly do :

Ex shitty redraw :

Spoiler

no234_03n.png.5fbee5d8286b0eb5c40d6e52679f81b1.png

don't know how to colour a nipple..

Ex scene :

Spoiler

1039014468_ninexkokofingerass.thumb.png.fe0039f1d8fef894e39bd9266c58869a.png

Yes i find this funny to do (and I've done many ) (I've even tried animated this one, and it didn't came so bad to my surprise =D)

35 minutes ago, sieldu said:

Problem is, even if you get something to save as a .hip, you need to get it back in the .pac, hipster does it but i don't know how to do it correctly, plus as I said I'm shitty at redrawing, so I'm only doing this for fun and to put in "Scene" i'm doing, which is what I mainly do :

Ex shitty redraw :

Hide contents

no234_03n.png.5fbee5d8286b0eb5c40d6e52679f81b1.png

don't know how to colour a nipple..

Ex scene :

Reveal hidden contents

1039014468_ninexkokofingerass.thumb.png.fe0039f1d8fef894e39bd9266c58869a.png

Yes i find this funny to do (and I've done many ) (I've even tried animated this one, and it didn't came so bad to my surprise =D)

You could always ask in the BB improvement mod server. there used to be a general modding server but it was eaten by the improvement mod server. http://discord.gg/29kExTj regardless, there are probably people there that could help you. (although i wouldnt bring up adult content with them directly but im not gonna tell you what to do)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after looking at it for a while, I tested the mod for BB:CF, more accurately after playing with the pallet editor while in game I realised why the game didn't take the edited sprite

I think it's because of how the pallet works,

If you look while in game it lets you edit the pallet by colour, fact is you have multiple instance of the same colour, so if you edit a sprite not considering those the game crash.. I'll illustrate it later.

it got me wondering if we could edit the pallet to match the necessities but I don't think that would be the case, maybe if we could edit how and where the pallet applies...

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok i went and tested the new version of hipster and it works perfectly. sprites ive edited are showing up in the game perfectly, and the question i asked in the op is now solved.

so now i just have to do an edit. it will be a short one, but once im finished, ill release it here.

if anyone wants to do this for themselves, all you need to do is extract the images as pngs, edit those pngs with an image editor *that supports indexed pngs* and then right click on what you want to replace in hipster, and then select replace.

the only limitation is that you cant add any colors that arent already in the palette. any edit you make needs to use colors from other parts of the sprite.

image.png.c7e08c62ad96012872961dc3fad8737e.png

this is my proof of concept basically with mu 12. she wont be my first subject however, because every frame of her animation will need to be adjusted. (though id like to do her eventually)

my first subject will likely be the removal of Taokaka's underwear, unless something comes up

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 7:02 AM, skypasser said:

I am super excited for this! Thank you for your hard work!

it will certainly take a while because ive been distracted lately, but im definitely gonna do it. ive been wanting to do stuff with this game for years, so its gonna get done eventually.

well, barring the release of a new Blazblue thats easier to mod and has even more cute girls i guess.

EDIT: i dont want to bump to announce a hiatus so im just gonna edit this post; this project is on semi hiatus. im going to be working on taokaka on and off still since i have the image files but im clearing out cf for computer space

• 2 months later...

not really. ive mostly just been really busy

if its any consolation, anybody can use this version of hipster. its really easy to take and replace the sprites. its jut hard to edit them.

i know other people were interested in modding this game. maybe some of them will turn up now that its easier

• 4 months later...