Merging a ton of armors and weapons leading to crashing randomly?

Weird-Feathers

Alright, so to get all the usual stuff out of the way, I have CrashFixes and have followed the latest guides and everything. I've configured everything correctly as far as I know, so I'm not having any standard issues that can be fixed. I have my enb set up correctly as well, with the right amount of memory set. I'm also using NMM.

Anyway, I *think* my problem is that I went over board and merged too many armor and weapon mods. Not into one mod though, I usually merger about 10-15 at a time depending on how many items the mod adds so that one esp isn't loaded. I don't know exactly how many I have merged, but between 8 merged plugin for armors and weapons, it's probably about 80-100 in total. Does anyone else have issues like this? There are just way too many armor/clothing mods I really enjoy to not install them. I even have a bunch that I've downloaded that I want to install.

I haven't fully tested it, but it seems like crash when I'm in the Race Menu. I've done all the related fixes for race menu (pre-cashe killer that comes with the latest version and Crash Fixes setting). The crash will happen whether I'm doing anything or not. Sometimes it can take 3 minutes to crash, sometimes it can take 20 minutes. I've let it just sit there a few times to see if it would crash on it's on. One time it crashed within 5 minutes and another time after about 13-20 minutes (I got up and went to the kitchen and it crashed while i was away). I've crashed like this for no specific reason while playing maybe 2 times, but haven't tested it because I'm trying to fix my crashing while in the race menu.

So I disabled all the merged armor and weapon plugins I have. I let the game run for about 30 minutes switch hairs really fast, changing a few things, and letting it sit there. There was no crash

So I'm basically wondering if it's just way too many items in my game, too many mods merged into an esp, too many plugins (maybe i should merge all 8 merged mods into one. I seem to get crashy when i have around 160 mods, but am okay with 150 or less). I guess I'll try merging all these mods i have to see if that helps. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can tell me if there's a such thing as merging too much

Make sure you know what is in the armors and weapons you are merging...  some armor and weapons put in things like locations, chests, buildings, npcs...   If you only want the armor and weapons from those... then maybe you can remove some of that stuff beforehand to avoid unnecessary conflicts...   I have merged a ton of weapon armor and clothing mods as well... all into one mod, and I do not really have too much trouble with it.

Make sure you have the loose files associated with the items..  some are packaged in BSA and if you disabled the bsa somehow, well you will be missing assets.

make sure to test an item before entering it into your merge...  or 1 item can cause the whole merge to collapse.

check the formlists, leveled lists, and items in your merges...  if something looks italicized, then you have some kind of issue where the renumbering messed something up.

Thanks. I don't seem to have any conflicts. I always pull the armor mods into tes5edit and get rid of stuff like hdtheels and heelsounds stuff along with dependency. Then I change armor names and fix errors that might be there like the one where the weight sliders don't work and then I get rid of any location stuff. I keep NPCs if they look like decent followers, though.

I do edit or at least peek at all the mods I merge, but I could be more thorough... I also make sure i keep all the BSA stuff and then I zip and install the files that MergePlugins generates along with it's esp. 

I guess i'll start with merging everything into one esp to see if that helps or breaks everything. If that doesn't work out, I'll have to start with my latest merged mods. I have to stop doing a ton of different things to my load order before starting a new game...I merged a bunch of armors, but I also installed a bunch of other mods and updated some old ones. So it really could be the issue I always seem to have where having over 165 mods makes the game crashy. I never see anyone else talk about that being an issue though...

13 hours ago, Weird-Feathers said:

Alright, so to get all the usual stuff out of the way, I have CrashFixes and have followed the latest guides and everything. I've configured everything correctly as far as I know, so I'm not having any standard issues that can be fixed. I have my enb set up correctly as well, with the right amount of memory set. I'm also using NMM.

Anyway, I *think* my problem is that I went over board and merged too many armor and weapon mods. Not into one mod though, I usually merger about 10-15 at a time depending on how many items the mod adds so that one esp isn't loaded. I don't know exactly how many I have merged, but between 8 merged plugin for armors and weapons, it's probably about 80-100 in total. Does anyone else have issues like this? There are just way too many armor/clothing mods I really enjoy to not install them. I even have a bunch that I've downloaded that I want to install.

I haven't fully tested it, but it seems like crash when I'm in the Race Menu. I've done all the related fixes for race menu (pre-cashe killer that comes with the latest version and Crash Fixes setting). The crash will happen whether I'm doing anything or not. Sometimes it can take 3 minutes to crash, sometimes it can take 20 minutes. I've let it just sit there a few times to see if it would crash on it's on. One time it crashed within 5 minutes and another time after about 13-20 minutes (I got up and went to the kitchen and it crashed while i was away). I've crashed like this for no specific reason while playing maybe 2 times, but haven't tested it because I'm trying to fix my crashing while in the race menu.

So I disabled all the merged armor and weapon plugins I have. I let the game run for about 30 minutes switch hairs really fast, changing a few things, and letting it sit there. There was no crash

So I'm basically wondering if it's just way too many items in my game, too many mods merged into an esp, too many plugins (maybe i should merge all 8 merged mods into one. I seem to get crashy when i have around 160 mods, but am okay with 150 or less). I guess I'll try merging all these mods i have to see if that helps. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can tell me if there's a such thing as merging too much

I have about 10 merged plugins which are only armors/clothes probably totaling almost 200.  My game runs fine.  It runs so well I feel kind of strange that I never have problems.  I don't want to merge them all into one because using AddItemMenu to find something would take years, so I wouldn't recommend you ever do that.  But back to the main point, your problem is probably a script error with one of the plugins you merged.  Check your mods folder and group them by date and remove the most recent mods from your merge and rebuild it.  Then test again.

Alright after days and days of trouble shooting. I've narrowed the problem down. I started by seeing if I would crash outside of ShowRaceMenu.

I left the game running for 45 minutes. No crash. So I figure it has to do something with my character that I recently installed. The only mod is Slavetats. So I leave my game running in showracemenu and it crashes after 14ish minutes.

I disable SlaveTats and leave the game running in showracemenu for about 45 minutes and no crash.

So it seems like it's either the mod itself or it's the fact that I have a ton of plugins installed for SlaveTats which I'm about to go ahead and test out. I'm still not 100% sure though. I might leave the game running in showrace menu longer a few more times just be sure.

Archived