Skyrim won't open, Mod issue

Avekyia

I recently bought and downloaded the Steam version of Skyrim, ran it, and then began downloading mods I wanted. I think my loadorder is mostly okay, but I can't open Skyrim now that I've got them all installed. The regular Skyrim desktop shortcut works fine, but opening the game through MO (which I use) won't work. I am assuming that I need to run Skyrim through MO to get my mods. When I try and run it I get a popup saying,

"Failed to initialize render.

Your display doesn't support the selected resolution. Please set a different resolution in Skyrim's Launcher under "display Settings"

I have it set to Ultra and have tried High. I don't want to go lower and would rather uninstall the mod(s) causing the problem, but have no idea which or what they are.

My load order:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Dawnguard.esm
Campfire.esm
Falskaar.esm
moonpath.esm
RSkyrimChildren.esm
SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esm
Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm
ZaZAnimationPack.esm
SexLab.esm
SexLabAroused.esm
MiasLair.esp
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
moonpath_questdata.esp
RSChildren.esp
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
SOS - Shop.esp
SOS - Smurf Average Addon.esp
SOS - VectorPlexus Muscular Addon.esp
SOS - VectorPlexus Regular Addon.esp
FNIS.esp
SkyUI.esp
SLAnimLoader.esp
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
RDO - AFT v1.66 Patch.esp
Relationship Dialogue Overhaul.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
Dr_Bandolier.esp
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
ELFX - Moonpath.esp
ELFX - Weathers.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
EnhancedWetnessandPuddles.esp
3DNPC.esp
Ordinator - Perks of Skyrim.esp
Perk Points at Skill Levels 50-75-100.esp
Thief skills rebalance for Ordinator.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
SoS - The Dungeons.esp
SoS - The Wilds.esp
SoS - Civilization.esp
Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.esp
Immersive Citizens - ELFXEnhancer patch.esp
Immersive Citizens - MTE patch.esp
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
dD-No Spinning Death Animation Merged.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
DSerArcheryGameplayOverhaul.esp
SOSRaceMenu.esp
XPMSE.esp
SexLab-AmorousAdventures.esp
Jugs.esp
SexLabMatchMaker.esp
SSLToys.esp
MilkMod_MilkPumpsFancyB.esp
MilkModNEW CF.esp
MilkModNEW HF.esp
MilkModNEW Sanbox.esp
MilkModNEW ZaZ.esp
MilkModNEW.esp
JaxonzEnhGrab.esp
JaxonzRenamer.esp
xo3dBondageFurniture.esp
My Home Is Your Home.esp
sandboxcylinderheight.esp
NewmillerPiercings2.esp
NewmillerPiercings3.esp
The Dungeon.esp

Firstly, that error generally isn't related to mods specifically.  If Skyrim fails to load or crashes whilst loading and you do NOT get that error - then it's generally a mod conflict, missing masters, etc. that sort of thing.  This error is more related to your specific graphics card and settings.  Have you by chance altered the ini files to support the mods you are running?  It could be that you have entered values that are invalid for your setup.

Test this:  Open up MO and create a new profile, with no mods in it and launch the game from MO.  Doing this will also create new .ini files.  If it works, you have options - easiest would be to re-enable the mods on the new profile (still don't change the ini files) and see if it works.  If it does, you've narrowed the problem down to ini edits and ruled out mods.  If it doesn't then you do in fact have a mod conflict (rare for this error, but not impossible).

By chance, are you also running any ENB?

Changing the game's graphics settings from Ultra to something lower might not be the answer either...  Have you verified that when you run the Steam launcher, that the resolution is compatible with your hardware?  i.e. running not running 4k on a 1080 display...

Firstly, that error generally isn't related to mods specifically.  If Skyrim fails to load or crashes whilst loading and you do NOT get that error - then it's generally a mod conflict, missing masters, etc. that sort of thing.  This error is more related to your specific graphics card and settings.  Have you by chance altered the ini files to support the mods you are running?  It could be that you have entered values that are invalid for your setup.

Test this:  Open up MO and create a new profile, with no mods in it and launch the game from MO.  Doing this will also create new .ini files.  If it works, you have options - easiest would be to re-enable the mods on the new profile (still don't change the ini files) and see if it works.  If it does, you've narrowed the problem down to ini edits and ruled out mods.  If it doesn't then you do in fact have a mod conflict (rare for this error, but not impossible).

By chance, are you also running any ENB?

Changing the game's graphics settings from Ultra to something lower might not be the answer either...  Have you verified that when you run the Steam launcher, that the resolution is compatible with your hardware?  i.e. running not running 4k on a 1080 display...

I haven't changed a thing (ini files, graphics card, nothing) other than downloading and installing the mods. Ultra is the setting that Skyrim set itself to when I downloaded it (got a popup saying it was checking what my system could handle, and that my system could handle Ultra so it set that). I had an old nonSteam copy of Skyrim that I was playing before which ran on this system on Ultra with no problems, so I know it's not my hardware. I have what I consider to be basic knowledge of computers, so I am not messing with ini files (I don't understand what they are and I'm convinced that if I touch them, I'll mess something up.

I followed your instructions to create a new profile with no mods and run the game, then re-enable them and run it again. I thought it wasn't going to work again as it took around 2mins to load, but then it loaded...I have no idea what was wrong or why it won't play on the other profile, but I guess my problem is fixed?

I recently bought and downloaded the Steam version of Skyrim, ran it, and then began downloading mods I wanted. I think my loadorder is mostly okay, but I can't open Skyrim now that I've got them all installed. The regular Skyrim desktop shortcut works fine, but opening the game through MO (which I use) won't work. I am assuming that I need to run Skyrim through MO to get my mods. When I try and run it I get a popup saying,

"Failed to initialize render.

Your display doesn't support the selected resolution. Please set a different resolution in Skyrim's Launcher under "display Settings"

I have it set to Ultra and have tried High. I don't want to go lower and would rather uninstall the mod(s) causing the problem, but have no idea which or what they are.

My load order:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Dawnguard.esm
Campfire.esm
Falskaar.esm
moonpath.esm
RSkyrimChildren.esm
ZaZAnimationPack.esm
SexLab.esm
SexLabAroused.esm
MiasLair.esp
moonpath_questdata.esp
RSChildren.esp
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
SOS - Shop.esp
FNIS.esp
SkyUI.esp
SLAnimLoader.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
Dr_Bandolier.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
ELFX - Moonpath.esp
ELFX - Weathers.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
3DNPC.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
SoS - The Dungeons.esp
SoS - The Wilds.esp
SoS - Civilization.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
SOSRaceMenu.esp
XPMSE.esp
Jugs.esp
SexLabMatchMaker.esp
SSLToys.esp
MilkModNEW CF.esp
MilkModNEW HF.esp
MilkModNEW Sanbox.esp
MilkModNEW ZaZ.esp
MilkModNEW.esp
JaxonzEnhGrab.esp
JaxonzRenamer.esp
xo3dBondageFurniture.esp
My Home Is Your Home.esp
NewmillerPiercings2.esp
NewmillerPiercings3.esp
The Dungeon.esp

wait, you say you just bought skyrim. Did you buy oldrim or Special Edition?. Just curious because Oldrim link is hidden and you cant buy it unless you have direct link to oldrim store page

It's a good point.  Are you playing SSE or LE Skyrim?  Many of these mods you have weren't ported to SSE yet and would definitely cause issues.  Some mods (like replacers for armor, textures, etc.) will just work on both - without real issues.  Mods which run scripts or otherwise affect the game engine though, those are the ones that can cause problems, when not ported to the new engine.

I think my load order was causing a problem because, like I said, I didn't edit a thing and when I created a new profile, the triangle that warns you if things are wrong said something was wrong with the order and I let it fix it for me before I turned off the mods and started doing what was suggested. So the only thing that is different between the profile that won't open and the one that will is the load order.

New load order:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Campfire.esm
Dawnguard.esm
Falskaar.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
MiasLair.esp
moonpath.esm
RSkyrimChildren.esm
SexLabAroused.esm
SexLab.esm
ZaZAnimationPack.esm
Dr_Bandolier.esp
Dead Body Collision.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
ELFX - Moonpath.esp
ELFX - Weathers.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
FNIS.esp
xo3dBondageFurniture.esp
3DNPC.esp
JaxonzEnhGrab.esp
JaxonzRenamer.esp
Jugs.esp
MilkModNEW CF.esp
MilkModNEW HF.esp
MilkModNEW Sanbox.esp
MilkModNEW ZaZ.esp
MilkModNEW.esp
moonpath_questdata.esp
My Home Is Your Home.esp
NewmillerPiercings2.esp
NewmillerPiercings3.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
RSChildren.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp
SexLabMatchMaker.esp
SSLToys.esp
SkyUI.esp
SLAnimLoader.esp
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
SOS - Shop.esp
SoS - Civilization.esp
SoS - The Dungeons.esp
SoS - The Wilds.esp
The Dungeon.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
SOSRaceMenu.esp
XPMSE.esp

Just tested something. I opened my new profile and ran the program, it took 2 minutes to open Skyrim, but it opened it. I then opened my old profile with the old load order and ran Skyrim and got the same popup about my display settings.

Your ELFX files seem out of order, you have plugins located before their master.

Run TESVEdit and it should give you a warning on these types of issues.

also, since you have CCOR... you don't need to load the dr_bandolier plugin,  you only need the assets.   Leave the files there but you can disable the ESP file.

It's best to run LOOT to set your load order, and then run TESVEDIT afterwards to verify that there are no conflicts with the order.

Your ELFX files seem out of order, you have plugins located before their master.

also, since you have CCOR... you don't need to load the dr_bandolier plugin,  you only need the assets.   Leave the files there but you can disable the ESP file.

It's best to run LOOT to set your load order, and then run TESVEDIT afterwards to verify that there are no conflicts with the order.

I have moved my ELFX files around so the master is first and disabled dr_bandolier.esp

I am VERY new to LOOT and am trying to figure out how to get it to load what I want. as for TESVEdit, do you mean https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25859/? ?

I have moved my ELFX files around so the master is first and disabled dr_bandolier.esp

I am VERY new to LOOT and am trying to figure out how to get it to load what I want. as for TESVEdit, do you mean https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25859/? ?

Yes..  TESVEdit is an essential tool to learn if you wish to mod your game decently.   What mod manager are you using?  there are many guides available for loot.   These 2 tools will be basic necessities for making mods work properly.  If you run into snags, you will find that the people on this site are very helpful in answering questions and guiding you on issues that you become stuck on.

When you load all your mods with TESVedit, the right panel will scroll through various stuff you can ignore... but once it stops, look at the last entry and it will tell you if the load was completed successfully or if masters are missing or in the wrong order.    There are many more advanced steps you can take for continuing to make your mods compatible... but this basic function is a good place to start.

As Lodakai suggests, your first profile had a specific hard conflict, and your second profile has a soft conflict.  Loading the game for 120 seconds, your hardware unknown, is still a sign of a serious issue.  The game engine or your graphics card are working far too hard - but an initial load time like that and your previous issue lean toward the loading conflict.  Run LOOT first, it's not 100% perfect, but will get you 95% of the way there, then run TES5Edit to check for any additional conflicts or issues.  If they both return without errors - you should generally be good to go, however, there are some specific load order conflicts you might have.  i.e two armor mods editing the same record.  Neither tool will show a warning or deal with this issue elegantly - you'll have to decide which one takes priority and re-order your mods by hand to compensate for the issue. 

If you are using Mod Organizer, this is type of conflict can be more easily seen by reviewing the list of mods and the icons next to them.

As Lodakai suggests, your first profile had a specific hard conflict, and your second profile has a soft conflict.  Loading the game for 120 seconds, your hardware unknown, is still a sign of a serious issue.  The game engine or your graphics card are working far too hard - but an initial load time like that and your previous issue lean toward the loading conflict.

and what is that serious issue you are talking about?

or those soft and hard conflicts?

no wonder most can't do much about their crash reading that crap

there's the problem in his first post if some bother reading...

Failed to initialize render.

->

he have select a resolution highter than the max resolution his screen can handle

probably because he didn't install that screen drivers, for windows to tell games to only propose x, y, z...

and the fix is to select whatever your native screen resolution is (or lower if you want more fps)

As Lodakai suggests, your first profile had a specific hard conflict, and your second profile has a soft conflict.  Loading the game for 120 seconds, your hardware unknown, is still a sign of a serious issue.  The game engine or your graphics card are working far too hard - but an initial load time like that and your previous issue lean toward the loading conflict.

->

he have select a resolution highter than the max resolution his screen can handle

probably because he didn't install that screen drivers, for windows to tell games to only propose x, y, z...

and the fix is to select whatever your native screen resolution is (or lower if you want more fps)

seems that was sloved, you are already ranting in his follow up topic :D

don't care if that was solved or not

https://www.google.fr/search?source=hp&q=skyrim+Failed+to+initialize+render.&oq=skyrim+Failed+to+initialize+render.&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i13i30k1l10.582.2779.0.2886.9.8.0.0.0.0.126.787.1j6.7.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..2.7.783.0..0i19k1j0i13i30i19k1j0i22i30i19k1j0i7i10i30i19k1j0i7i10i30k1.0.OyjtopAcoQ4

if you have an error message, you just google it

it's the useless blabla of the other one i have quote, see that kind of post all the time when i search stuff in google, useless waste of time to pass that useless bullshit

I am using MO as my mod manager.

Thanks for explaining TESVEdit, I will definitely use that as well as LOOT.

But I can't seem to figure out how to get either LOOT or TESVEdit to show my mod's plugins. From what I can find that means I need to make sure they are installed, but I don't understand what that means. I downloaded and installed them with MO and then made sure I checked all the mods I wanted. If that doesn't mean the mods are installed, then I don't get how to do that.

->

Actually, I don't think the issue was anything to do with the selected screen resolution. I'm pretty sure I either explained or tried to explain that before I started downloading mods, I ran Skyrim regularly and it selected the screen resolution that my system could handle. Before I bought this Steam version of Skyrim, I had an old PC version (can't remember where I got it and I never played it before this year). When I installed and ran my old version of Skyrim, it also selected Ultra resolution and I played that game with no issues (well, before I started using mods and having issues with those). Since my new Steam version of Skyrim and the old PC version of Skyrim chose Ultra resolution (without me clicking anything) and the old version never had a problem running Ultra, I don't the resolution was the issue. I thought the issue was a mod or mods that I selected didn't want to run on Ultra. I tried turning it down to High (didn't want to go lower) and still got the same error message. I'm not sure what the issue was, but I really don't think it was to do with the resolution the game selected.

purpose of those errors message is to know what is the problem

and if it say screen resolution, it's not a missing master, ram full, tbbp armor without tbbp skeleton...

another way to get that if you don't put 4000*4000 in the ini (or download someone else ini), it's windows that don't run skyrim.exe on your gpu, but on your motherboard gpu, that is just there for show, you can't play games with that

purpose of those errors message is to know what is the problem

and if it say screen resolution, it's not a missing master, ram full, tbbp armor without tbbp skeleton...

another way to get that if you don't put 4000*4000 in the ini (or download someone else ini), it's windows that don't run skyrim.exe on your gpu, but on your motherboard gpu, that is just there for show, you can't play games with that

I know error messages are designed so they tell you what the problem is, it simply makes no sense to me that what it said was the problem was the problem. Before the mods, no error and resolution was fine. After the mods, error and it said screen resolution was the problem. Also, I never changed the resolution. It is still set to Ultra and now the game runs. All I did was what AWP3RATOR suggested which was create a new profile in MO and run it without the mods, then with the mods. It worked (although it took a bit to load).

I know nothing about ini files so the second part of your message makes no sense to me. 

don't care if that was solved or not

https://www.google.fr/search?source=hp&q=skyrim+Failed+to+initialize+render.&oq=skyrim+Failed+to+initialize+render.&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i13i30k1l10.582.2779.0.2886.9.8.0.0.0.0.126.787.1j6.7.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..2.7.783.0..0i19k1j0i13i30i19k1j0i22i30i19k1j0i7i10i30i19k1j0i7i10i30k1.0.OyjtopAcoQ4

if you have an error message, you just google it

it's the useless blabla of the other one i have quote, see that kind of post all the time when i search stuff in google, useless waste of time to pass that useless bullshit

You have eyes, I know that because you commented on a later post.  Surely you must have also seen my initial comment about the resolution, yes?  Either be helpful or don't post - being a dick isn't winning you any friends, mate.

"Changing the game's graphics settings from Ultra to something lower might not be the answer either...  Have you verified that when you run the Steam launcher, that the resolution is compatible with your hardware?  i.e. running not running 4k on a 1080 display..."

The post you quoted had nothing to do with the original issue, which the OP claims was resolved on his subsequent try.  Not sure where your anger is coming from, but you might want to take some time away and cool down a bit.  Cheers!

My responses were intended for Avekia.  If you were searching for a solution to a issue similar to the OP, then the question was answered fairly quickly.  

If you have no interest in the followup issue there is no reason for you to read on to my additional responses to a specific question asked later in the thread.  If you feel that using TESVedit and Loot to sort your load order is "bullshit" then you certainly have the right to your opinion.  But facts are facts, and these facts hold true regardless of what your opinion is.

If you have something to add regarding where these facts are incorrect, I am open to revisiting them.  But unless you have hard evidence, please do not make baseless claims about tried and true issues.

Either follow the thread in its entirety, or start your own regarding your issue.  Thank you =)

Now, hopefully this will be my last question.

I can't seem to figure out how to get either LOOT or TESVEdit to show my mod's plugins. From what I can find that means I need to make sure they are installed, but I don't understand what that means. I downloaded and installed them with MO and then made sure I checked all the mods I wanted. If that doesn't mean the mods are installed, then I don't get how to do that.

Now, hopefully this will be my last question.

I can't seem to figure out how to get either LOOT or TESVEdit to show my mod's plugins. From what I can find that means I need to make sure they are installed, but I don't understand what that means. I downloaded and installed them with MO and then made sure I checked all the mods I wanted. If that doesn't mean the mods are installed, then I don't get how to do that.

Once you install loot.. it should appear in your dropdown menu in MO.  You should run it from there.  

This video will show you how to use Xedit with mod organizer as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F19Do8HAl4&feature=youtu.be&t=364

My responses were intended for Avekia.  If you were searching for a solution to a issue similar to the OP, then the question was answered fairly quickly.  

and my response was intended for awp3rator, but maybe you are awp3rator

didn't bother with what was between first post and last post, never saw that "fail to render"

but if i saw it i would have fix it with google

and tesedit have to be launch from mo for mo data folder to be used on it, and dyndolod, and crap kit, and fnis, and...

and my response was intended for awp3rator, but maybe you are awp3rator

didn't bother with what was between first post and last post, never saw that "fail to render"

but if i saw it i would have fix it with google

and tesedit have to be launch from mo for mo data folder to be used on it, and dyndolod, and crap kit, and fnis, and...

We are different people...  but we essentially said the same thing =p

so I guess if you are intending your response to awp3rator, it would also be directed at me by virtue of commonality.

anyhoo   I'll chalk this up  to language barrier, because I am not sure what a lot of the things in your post are referring to or what you even mean by it.

This thread has been derailed so I will just leave that particular issue here and focus on OP's problem.

Archived