Asking here because nobody seems to give a damn about Fallout 3/New Vegas anymore

The problem I'm trying to solve is that I'm trying to install the GECK for Fallout 3, but every time I run the installation wizard it doesn't appear to install anything. I get no way to start the GECK (no GECK exe) after the installation is supposed to be complete. What gives?

What version did you install 1.1 or 1.5 for F03? Also where did you download it from?

Version 1.5

I actually had an installation wizard that shipped with the game when I got it from Steam, but that wizard didn't work, so I downloaded and tried a 1.5 version uploaded by Bethesda Softworks from the Fallout 3 Nexus, and that didn't work either, and finally I tired a version from here ( http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php?title=Main_Page ), and THAT didn't work either.

Then I asked on the Fallout 3 Nexus forums, and they said that apparently if you have a 1.7 version of Fallout 3 the GECK installation wizard will NEVER install properly, which means no GECK.. unless someone here knows a work around for Bethesda's incompetence.

Sorry.. I've been trying for two days to find a way to get this to work, and it's frustrating to keep hitting dead end after dead end... :@

If you're only missing the GECK.exe and the rest of the files are installing to their correct paths you could open the installer's .exe up and retrieve the GECK.exe manually. May need a tool like Universal Extractor or whatever can open the the installer's file extension type.

Although If other files aren't being installed correctly this wouldn't help, unless you knew the exact paths for each file to manually place them. I don't have F03 or use F03 geck to help there.

If you're only missing the GECK.exe and the rest of the files are installing to their correct paths you could open the installer's .exe up and retrieve the GECK.exe manually. May need a tool like Universal Extractor or whatever can open the the installer's file extension type.

Although If other files aren't being installed correctly this wouldn't help, unless you knew the exact paths for each file to manually place them. I don't have F03 or use F03 geck to help there.

The installation wizard wasn't installing anything (or at least it didn't appear to be), however I was able to get the GECK.exe (or, rather the "Fallout3_GECK_1.5_Update.exe") from the link I posted earlier. The problem is, when I try to initiate the GECK.exe it says it needs to update, at which point I get one of two, or both errors, the first one says "old file does not exist" and then it shuts down, and I've had another error that says something to the effect of "INI file not found".

The 1.5 .exe shouldn't need an literal "update " I assume it likely the .exe is missing some files from the 1.5 update installer it needs execute maybe some .dll files or something to that nature. If you can run the .exe through a command prompt maybe* you can catch the files names it needs as it begins to run itself and extract them.

The missing .ini file if you can't find inside one of the installers packages after opening it up you may just be able to create a blank text file and just give it the proper file name ex. GECKPrefs.ini (no idea the correct name for the F03 GECK or what .ini it's asking for) and get it to run then hopefully it writes the necessary data to it upon running. Or ask some on the nexus to send you the necessary .ini file(s). Don't think I can assist more than that if none of those help.

I used that GECK in that version, so I can assure it was working (at least with Windows 7 64).

The only things I could think about are: what OS are you running? are you running the installer from inside the FO3 main folder? did you install steam in a different path that as program files subfolder?

I wish you good luck, do not give up, world need more modders.

Archived