Windows 10 CTD ...

Blond

Hello,

I have a strange problem. I've played Skyrim and on the next day, I'cant load any savegame on Windows 10. I've nothing changed at all on Skyrim or Windows 10!

Loading a any savegame ends when the games screen is activated in a CTD.

The mad thing is. I have a parallel installed Windows 7 and have there exactly the same installation, with the same mods and the same savegames without problems started. Even the files in "AppData/local/Skyrim/" are the same copy!

Did anyone have the same problem, or a solution for this problem?!

At the moment, I've always to boot Win7 and play there... :-(

My Windwos 10 is in Insider-Programm, but slow ring. I've the Build 15063.332. I don't think, ther is any strange installations/update.

If you are running enb or enboost you will need to run the Vramsize.exe for dx9 while booted in win10 and modify your enblocal.ini as there less memory available for use in windows10 and 8 for dx9 programs.

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENBlocal_INI/Memory

"Windows 8/10 users: Microsoft has, unintentionally, introduced a memory limit for DirectX 9 games/software. This limit is 4GBs (4096) and there is nothing which can be done to circumvent this limit. For users seeing the VRamSizeTest tool reporting 4064 or similar, this is not a mistake. This is actually the limit for the OS in use and the maximum value you can set the VideoMemorySizeMb to."

If you are not using enb or enboost you will probably have to on win10 as the memory limits will cause problems when moving from a windows 7 modded skyrim.

I switched to win10 from 7 last year and ended up reinstalling 7 as a dual boot because I had to use enboost just to get the game barely stable again when it ran flawless in 7 without it. If you still have win7 installed keep it for skyrim.

Yes, I use enb, but this works since I have Windows 10 installed. The settings are not changed, so that can't be the problem, I think.

Yesterday, I've made a nvidia driver update. After that, the load of a savegame worked. I played some time, suddenly crash (no errors at all) and after the CTD, can't load a savegame. Strange!!!!

So, I must play on Win7 again...

Edit:

Ah, thanks for the link!

I read something... the Warning for ExpandSystemMemoryX64 is interesting. I use SKSE and have ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true! So, I try to disable it. Hope this will help!

Yes, I use enb, but this works since I have Windows 10 installed. The settings are not changed, so that can't be the problem, I think.

If the settings were not changed then this is very likely to be the problem. You need to edit the enblocal.ini for win10 as the settings for VideoMemorySizeMb= are not going to work between windows7 and windows 10.

Also "ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false"  should be set if using skse memory patch as well, having it set to true can cause ctd but videomemorysize must be set correctly as well.

Win 10 is also being a big PIA for me. RW311 is 100% correct on the memory issue.  I also had to move my game off of my C drive to even be able to have a somewhat stable game.  I am still having issues with some files arbitrarily becoming inaccessible due to some funky administrative rights bug 10 has.  The most frustrating part is, one day I can have all my bugs worked out and things running ok, shut down the computer, come back 12 hours or so later, and everything has gone to Sh**t again.  If I knew how to uninstall Windows 10 and everything about it, and install windows 7,  I would do  it in a heartbeat, but I don't even know where to buy a windows 7 anymore.  I am assuming it is a good idea to have the installation disk, but I know very little about all this.

If the settings were not changed then this is very likely to be the problem. You need to edit the enblocal.ini for win10 as the settings for VideoMemorySizeMb= are not going to work between windows7 and windows 10.

Also "ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false" should be set if using skse memory patch as well, having it set to true can cause ctd but videomemorysize must be set correctly as well.

Sorry, this is a misunderstanding.

When I have ENB installed, I have the configuration adjusted, but since then no longer changed. I had so far under Windows 10 the following configuration of ENB used and it worked without problems!

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=false
UseDefferedRendering=true
IgnoreCreationKit=true

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
EnableOcclusionCulling=false

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=true
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=4096 
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=16
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
EnableVSync=false
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0
ForceLodBias=false
LodBias=-0.3

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=true
FPSLimit=60.0

[INPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//print screen
KeyScreenshot=44
//enter
KeyEditor=13
KeyUseEffect=0
KeyFPSLimit=0
KeyShowFPS=0
KeyFreeVRAM=0
KeyBruteForce=0
KeyDepthOfField=118

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=true
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=60.0

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=true
EnableSubPixelAA=true
EnableTemporalAA=false

[FIX]
FixParallaxBugs=true
IgnoreLoadingScreen=true
IgnoreInventory=true
FixGameBugs=true
FixTintGamma=false
RemoveBlur=true
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true
FixAliasedTextures=true
FixSkyReflection=true
FixCursorVisibility=true
FixParallaxTerrain=true
FixLag=true

[LONGEXPOSURE]
EnableLongExposureMode=false
Time=1.0
BlendMax=0.0

[THREADS]        
PriorityMode=0
EnableUnsafeFixes=false
DataSyncMode=0
Until now, I had with this ENB ini no problems. I've now changed "ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false", but this did'nt changed anything. I get again CTD on Windows 10. I've disabled the ENB dll so ENB was not load, but same CTD's.

Edit:

Sorry, the forum always breaks the text in the code tag. :-(

I have: 

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
DisableDriverMemoryManager=true
ReservedMemorySizeMb=64
VideoMemorySizeMb=3800
EnableCompression=true

It's very stable for me, I also have W10 and GTX 1070, MS replied to Redit thread about DX9 apps memory issue, and said it should be fixed in the next milestone release yay.

Win 10 is also being a big PIA for me. RW311 is 100% correct on the memory issue.  I also had to move my game off of my C drive to even be able to have a somewhat stable game.  I am still having issues with some files arbitrarily becoming inaccessible due to some funky administrative rights bug 10 has.  The most frustrating part is, one day I can have all my bugs worked out and things running ok, shut down the computer, come back 12 hours or so later, and everything has gone to Sh**t again.  If I knew how to uninstall Windows 10 and everything about it, and install windows 7,  I would do  it in a heartbeat, but I don't even know where to buy a windows 7 anymore.  I am assuming it is a good idea to have the installation disk, but I know very little about all this.

I've buyed some Win 7 x64 prof licences cheap last year on ebay. Now I've one dual installtion with Linux and Windows 10 and one Win7 on my KVM/QEMU server with absolut basic installation for testing purpose (i.e. virus protection...).

I have: 

[MEMORY]
ReservedMemorySizeMb=64
VideoMemorySizeMb=3800
EnableCompression=true

It's very stable for me, I also have W10 and GTX 1070, MS replied to Redit thread about DX9 apps memory issue, and said it should be fixed in the next milestone release yay.

Thank you, I try your settings!

I've my old Gainward GTX670 2GB Phantom and it still runs since years good with many games, even on Win10.

Isn't VideoMemorySizeMb=4096 set to high, the DX9 tool from the ENB site returns 4064 as the max value for me on win10

Tbh other than that i've had no issues i could trace specifically to win10

I'd look at these settigns first myself (i.e. do you have the issue they are meant to fix to have it enabled)

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=false
FixParallaxTerrain=false
FixAliasedTextures=true
IgnoreLoadingScreen=true
IgnoreInventory=true
FixTintGamma=false
RemoveBlur=true
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true
FixSkyReflection=true
FixCursorVisibility=true
FixLag=false

@LukeDuke

Thank you very much!

My savegame load and it worked again with your settings!!! Great!!!

@pinky6225

This settings came from a ENB color mode I used from nexus. I've never changed it, because the mod author writes it is necessary for the color mod settings.

But it is a very old mod I use a long time. So the settings can be wrong for Win10.

I've now fixed some settings:

[MEMORY]
ReservedMemorySizeMb=64
VideoMemorySizeMb=3800
EnableCompression=true

[FIX]