Still not 100% there. The 2nd animation only has 1 scene that I can get collision out of. I'll go back and see, maybe it has multiple objects. But, I got the mod to recognize the 2nd animation.

After adding the animation objects to the ESP and making the edits to the JSON, I found the process to get the mod to recognize the animation a bit lengthy.

Here are the steps I took....I'm sure some of them aren't necessary, but this worked for me.

1. Disable the animations in the SLAL and rebuild the registry, also update the JSON.
2. Create a save.
3. Disable the mod and re-run FNIS.
4. Login and create a new save.
5. Scrub the save.
6. Enable the Animation pack and re-run FNIS.
7. Log in and re-register the animation(s) I also re-apply the JSON.
8. Create a new save.
9. Load that save.

The XML has the object listed as a Weapon. So I am guessing that will default it to the RHand. But how do you get the object to the LHand? Changing the lable fro Weapon to LHand wasn't enough?  

The object looks like this:

<hkparam name="vertexA">(0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 2.000000)</hkparam>
            <hkparam name="vertexB">(0.000000 64.000000 0.000000 2.000000)</hkparam>

But what does that look like if the similar object is held in the similar position in the LHand?

2 hours ago, bishlapped said:

The XML has the object listed as a Weapon. So I am guessing that will default it to the RHand. But how do you get the object to the LHand? Changing the lable fro Weapon to LHand wasn't enough?  

The object looks like this:

<hkparam name="vertexA">(0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 2.000000)</hkparam>
            <hkparam name="vertexB">(0.000000 64.000000 0.000000 2.000000)</hkparam>

But what does that look like if the similar object is held in the similar position in the LHand?

Guess that's just for the collision box shape, so this section doesn't really tell you where it goes.

I'm usually editing these xmls with Just For Fun though, so it would be easier for me to give you pointers for that.

And to answer your question, you can add collision boxes to the left hand by adding the collision box to one of the bones there. WEAPON is a bone that's a child of the right hand bone chain, for the left hand you either need to use SHIELD or LHAND. The collision box orientation might be a problem then, and it's a little tricky to find the correct one with just using Nifscope. I can show you how, but you'd have to wait til the weekend.

Usually the animobject nif tells you which bone the animator equips the object to btw, for the Cobaltcane.nif that nif had WEAPON added as a Prn extradata entry:

cobcane_extradata.jpg

And obviously you want to use the same bone the animator picked so the collision box you create aligns with the object, in this case the cane.

Oh and I also used that nif to take the measurements for the collision box.

Nifscope has a "select vertex" function that's very useful when you want to pinpoint specific coordinates like the tip and the rear end of this cane.

See, because you are using the same bone as the animator you can directly use these measurements to set up the coordinates of the collision box.

If you chose a parent or child bone there might be a rotational matrix that screws up the orientation of the collision box so you'd have to factor that in and change the coordinates accordingly. Not as complicated as it might sound but also not trivial.

In this case here WEAPON is preferable to RHAND for that reason.

Nice work with that animation up there btw. :)

Well, I think I found a method that will...eventually...work. LOL. Using your CobaltCane XML as a base, I changed the child to SHIELD. Then I used the animation speed plugin to lock the animation. Then, I used Jaxon's Positioner to find the location of the hit box in the L Hand. From there, it's just tweaking the vertices......it's not fun. It's not quick. But it's easy enough. That is, assuming you can actually find the hit box in the 1st place.

2 hours ago, bishlapped said:

Well, I think I found a method that will...eventually...work. LOL. Using your CobaltCane XML as a base, I changed the child to SHIELD. Then I used the animation speed plugin to lock the animation. Then, I used Jaxon's Positioner to find the location of the hit box in the L Hand. From there, it's just tweaking the vertices......it's not fun. It's not quick. But it's easy enough. That is, assuming you can actually find the hit box in the 1st place.

That's pretty crafty of you, lol.

What do you need that collision box for though? Are you creating new animations with a cane in the left hand? Or are you trying to add a collision box to another already existing animation that has a cane or something cane-shaped equipped in the left hand? And in that case which one?

Since I don't  own 3DSMax, (or know how to use Blender) I was just using an existing animation.

I was trying to add the collisions to an existing animation that equips a crop in the LHand.

But at this point, I was just going to wait for your post 

I am not sure now, but the file I have was. at the time I DL'd it. still available to public from his Patreon page.

I thought he still has that version open.....just nothing new.

I could be wrong.

P.S.

Hey! I really appreciate the help with configuring the mod. And I understand you are doing other things that take priority. So that's why I have every intention of waiting patiently for you to work out that tutorial you were mentioning to SilverBlack. Wen it's most convenient for you.

So thanks again.

I haven't been able to successfully reverse engineer the collision box using the positioner. I get that pos Y is forward, neg y is back. pos z is up and neg z is down same for X left and right. But the dual coords in JFF. I had assumed that the 1st row is the origin point. and the 2nd row is the destiation point. but playing with the coords in that way, didn't manipulate the collision box in the way I expected.

Then I looked at your tutorial. And I can see there is a process involved using Nifscope in that the start point begins where the parent bone ends. I was using Nibble's Paddle spanking for the L Hand example. But I can't really see what to use instead of the bone, and how you translated 36.5 to 10.

I think I just made the box shorter than the bone itself because it didn't need to cover the whole length.

Something like that.

And yes, if I can't just copy the values from the item itself (like I did with the cane) then I use Nifscope to figure out the orientation and likely coordinates for both vertices. I basically copy a bone onto itself and see where the x, y and z axis are pointing at (mostly by changing the coordinates). Then I compare that to the orientation of the item I want to add collisions to (ingame or screenshots). Good visual thinking abilities or/and a little bit of experience in vector algebra are helpful here.

about the tutorial I promised:

Wanted to do it on Monday but the site was down. I'll try to find the time during next weekend.

I think I got lucky on the Nibbles Paddle Spanking animation. 

So the hit box is similar to the one you created in the Right Hand. But I changed it to SHIELD and then added the coordinates:

00/00/00

35/64/00

That seems to work in close enough proximity.

The thing that I don't understand are how the coordinates behave.

Again, I am assuming that the dual XYZ entries on the XML have do do with the 2 points in the line. So the top XYZ line is the start point of the line, and the 2nd set is the end point. with the radius being self explanatory. So I had assumed that in the example above that a negative number would be needed. If you look at th ehand placement in the animation, the base plane for the position of the hand would appear to hold a "WEAPON" at a 45 degree angle pointing in an upward direction. But the animation needs the WEAPON to point straight out horizontally. To me, that would suggest the Z plane needs to be reduced. But that's not how it worked.

Right, that's indeed not how it works. You can't just use the global coordinate system to find these coordinates. The one you need is the local one embedded in the bone itself. And that coordinate system might have all sorts of rotational offsets towards the global coordinates. There's a chain of bones from the skeleton root to the bone itself, and every single rotational matrix (each bone has one, it's often just the identity matrix though, which means no rotation) changes the orientation for all bones down the chain. That's why I talk about parent and child bones all the time in that HDT PE tutorial you mentioned.

My way to figure out the orientation of the coordinate system of particular bones is also described somewhere in there, and also in short in my previous post in this thread.

Also, is it safe to assume this mod can not work with SMP?

The mod itself can't. The principle might be transferable but I wouldn't know how and if it's even possible. I'm afraid I don't know much about SMP beyond the fact that it has the same the author as HDT PE and that it supposedly creates more realistic physics.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had success using this along with SL toys? I had collision working but then I installed SL toys for some immersion and now the only collision I get is from hands. The mod below doesn’t replace meshes or animations. As far as I can tell it just creates in game triggers to initiate the leito animations. I’ve tried different load orders and mod hierarchy and even removing both and reinstallling on a clean save but can’t seem to get collision back. Any ideas?

5 hours ago, bishlapped said:

Do you know how to open the XMLs with JFF to see what collisions are active or not?

I haven't done it in a while. I mean I've opened xml in jff before but which ones would I open in this case? Wouldn't load order in MO2 have an effect on which XMLs are used? I can only assume that somehow the save file can have an effect, but I've tried uninstalling or going back to a save before the installs and can't seem to undo it.

36 minutes ago, esmm40 said:

I haven't done it in a while. I mean I've opened xml in jff before but which ones would I open in this case? Wouldn't load order in MO2 have an effect on which XMLs are used? I can only assume that somehow the save file can have an effect, but I've tried uninstalling or going back to a save before the installs and can't seem to undo it.

Mod load order will absolutely determine which XMLs are referenced. In MO2, the last mod installed that references a hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml in the SKSE/Plugins folder will be the file referenced by the game. Make sure you have the one you want. MO will tell you what conflicts there are by the flags.

Then open in JFF and at the bottom of the Rigid Bodies section are a bunch of check boxes. Each box represents a collision node. But it's kinda backwards. The check does not turn on collisions, it turns them off.

3 hours ago, bishlapped said:

Mod load order will absolutely determine which XMLs are referenced. In MO2, the last mod installed that references a hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml in the SKSE/Plugins folder will be the file referenced by the game. Make sure you have the one you want. MO will tell you what conflicts there are by the flags.

Then open in JFF and at the bottom of the Rigid Bodies section are a bunch of check boxes. Each box represents a collision node. But it's kinda backwards. The check does not turn on collisions, it turns them off.

Interesting, so I will take a look tonight but just to clarify hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml is the one I need to check with JFF? and I assume animobject is what I’m looking for to be turned on (or unchecked rather)

That one wold be the female body, there is another one if you are using the SOS HDT male body or SAM., not sure what you are looking for collisions with though.