Creation Kit-loss of face morph data on race change

Ok, so I dove into the pool of modding the SSE, specifically customizing individual NPCs via the Creation Kit and using custom races to give them individualized bodies.

All in all, it has been smooth sailing and I am just about finished with my first trial plugin. The only serious hikup so far seems to be a hard limitation in the Creation Kit not being able to keep the face Gen Data through a Race Change (this seems completely unrelated to any of my custom work, as the same happens to any random actor I choose and change from one PC race to another).

This is a fair bit annoying, as I want custom NPCs to have faces at least reminiscient of the original version and a manual recreation is near impossible, since most of the face gen data can only be applied by slider and not by numerical value (the ways of Bethesda once again lacking all forethought).

I already tried overwriting the new post-race change Face Gen Data with the old, as I already exported the face gen data to avoid the dark face bug, but this just results in the same post-race change face.

I thought this was propably a rather common hurdle in Skyrim modding, so I hope somebody knows of a common or uncommon workaround, before I try to decipheer NifSkope on my own searching for a solution (at the time spend on modding each day at the moment that would propably take me days).

My initial thought is that you have to add the a Race entry that you are changing the NPC, into the Head Part Form List of that Race.  I'm not really sure if my train of thought is really correct though (I'm half asleep right now).

Have you made a totally new race?  You may have to create Head Part with the Face Type and point them to each custom head you have.  Then add a new Head Part Form List for this race.  Add the race to that Form List.  Then add that Face in the Head Part section of the Face Data for the race.  Also add the Head Part to the Face Type in the Base Head Parts section under the Character Gen Parts tab in the Actor window for that NPC.  Again, just some random thoughts to try and help.

Thank you for the answer.

As noted before, the problem crops up as well when I change a random NPC to another player race, though that could well be because none of those races share the exact same headshape formlists

The race is a straight up copy of the Nord race. The only difference is that it uses another body, as the entire purpose of the exercise is to see if I could use this to make NPCs with a unique body.

I also entered the race into every form list that contains the Nord race I could find and am 99% certain I caught every form list concerning head parts, though the only improvement I got is the NPC no longer losing her hairdo (i.e. the one thing I could easily fix manually.

I played around a bit with NIFskope and think the face is fixed in game if I use that program to replace the post change mesh with that of a pre-change export, however, I would have to take a bunch of screenshots to confirm (was a bit to lazy and demotivated in the last few days to do that) and the Creation Kit still generates a definitely wrong face, so I would have to finish a customized Face for any NPC thus modified before the race change or better yet customize the face entirely outside of the CK.

It is all a bit of a sorry mess, as it turns a very easy modding process into a rather involved one (that I am still not 100% convinced works).

Archived