Instant death upon joining faction

rixto003

Welp, need help...

I have a slight problem that could turn out to be quite game breaking...

After finishing the first quest for BoS, Paladin Whats-His-Name (sorry, forgot it) asks me if I want to join the faction, and if I answer Yes, I fall down in ragdoll and die. From what little I've been able to google (doesn't seem to be a very common problem), it's like this with not just BoS, but also minutemen.

Any help is welcome (don't recommend reinstall, doesn't work)

Welp, need help...

I have a slight problem that could turn out to be quite game breaking...

After finishing the first quest for BoS, Paladin Whats-His-Name (sorry, forgot it) asks me if I want to join the faction, and if I answer Yes, I fall down in ragdoll and die. From what little I've been able to google (doesn't seem to be a very common problem), it's like this with not just BoS, but also minutemen.

Any help is welcome (don't recommend reinstall, doesn't work)

Personally, I would experiment, start by opening the console using the tilde ~ key ensuring you have nothing targeted and typing tcai. This will stop all combat, but allow dialogues to continue. Then try joining the brotherhood, save game, then tcai command again to start combat again.

If you continue to be attacked you could always force the faction to be an ally to you.

Brotherhood of Steel 0005de41

Minutemen 00068043

Player 0001c21c

• targetID.AddToFaction <faction id> <0 or 1> – Adds target to faction, needs to be used with a prefix or target, e.g player.AddToFaction 0001c21c 1 to add yourself to the player faction. 0=friend, 1=ally.
  • targetID.RemoveFromFaction <faction id> – Removes target from faction, needs to be used with a prefix or target
  • targetID.removefromallfactions – Removes the target from all factions. Be aware that this will also remove the player character from the "player faction" if used on them.
  • setally <faction id> <faction id> <0 or 1> <0 or 1> – Makes two factions friendly with each other. 0=friend, 1=ally
  • setenemy <faction id> <faction id> <0 or 1> <0 or 1> – Makes two factions enemies with each other. 0=neutral, 1=enemy

Faction list located at:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_console_commands

Stuff

Well, "tcai" didn't work.

And that other part wouldn't help too much as I can't progress BoS story this way... I would have to complete the quest (and quite likely every next quest) via console too.

I'm not getting attacked after I make my choice (apparently it doesn't even have to be "Yes", every option results in my death), I just fall over and die

EDIT: Tried another reinstall, tried without mods, tried more googling, can't get it to work... Gonna nuke the paladin and go on with story instead (leaving a save game there just in case more solutions pop up)

EDIT2:

Started a new playthrough, no reinstall and all same mods enabled as I had when I instantly died, only thing I did different was that I completed enough of Minutemen quests to become a General before heading to help out BoS, worked like a charm this time. No ragdoll death or anything.

(No idea what/how/why it worked this time, but it's enough to mark this as solved)

Archived