Fallout 4 limit

Hamguy31

Is it true that in fallout 4 save games are counted towards the 255 plugin limit?

first they make the game 64bit and only allow 255 plugins.
then they tie loading times and gamespeed with framerates.

what else kind of shit are we going to find next.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3xtse7/do_we_know_fallout_4s_plugin_limit/

Quote: 

"... based on the reference and object IDs the game uses. They are the same length as previous games, with the first 2 digits being the load order of the plugin. Since the highest 2 digit hexadecimal number is FF, this implies that you can only have 255 plugins in addition to the main game file (which starts with 00)."

Saves do not count.

Technically FO4 has exactly the same limit of the latest versin of Skyrim + SKSE.

Only one byte is used to identify the mod, and 00 is always the game, then another slot is used by each DLC, and then FF (= 255 in hexadecimal) is used for the temporary objects.

So, without DLCs the actual maximum number of mods is 254.

• 1 month later...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/3xtse7/do_we_know_fallout_4s_plugin_limit/

Quote: 

"... based on the reference and object IDs the game uses. They are the same length as previous games, with the first 2 digits being the load order of the plugin. Since the highest 2 digit hexadecimal number is FF, this implies that you can only have 255 plugins in addition to the main game file (which starts with 00)."

Saves do not count.

I did some research, Saves do count.

I guess how it works is, either you are a male or a female and both of these are different id's.

Quote: 

Saves do not count.

I did some research, Saves do count.

I guess how it works is, either you are a male or a female and both of these are different id's.

Your research was mistaken, Hamguy31. I have 4005 saves and more than 200 active mods with plugins.

It's true there is a hard cap of 255 plugins, with the main game and DLCs counted toward that. But mods without plugins do not count toward it, and save games do not count toward it.

If you start running out of plugins, just start combining some of them.

If you got 255 mods you aren't using most of them and many of them will be conflicting anyway, you load order will be a nightmare. Textures, Meshes Sounds etc also have a max limit, I found it at around 150 plugins I had to remove some texture & mesh mods. Merging won't fix that. BA archives may or may not effect it either.

Merging stuff is only good for simple clothing/weapon mods, merge anything scripted or complex you'll probably screw something up.

I can use as many loose files as I want (textures, meshes, sounds, music etc.) But if I will go with more than 249 plugins my game will not load or have black screen..

Keep in mind that if you have all DLC's (Robot DLC, Sims 1, Sims 2, Sims 3, Far Harbor, and Nuka World DLC's), that means you will have ''only'' 249 free slots for mods with esm/esp files. 

I had hope that 64 bit will ''nuke'' all those limitations, I was wrong.

P.S. I wonder if FO4 still has the same heap memory limitations like Skyrim has without SKSE memory patch and/or enboost..

I run about 254 plugins on my Skyrim... it's very stable. Heck, I even have Locational Damage installed, working fine. The truth is that I probably have about 400 plugins but almost all armor and weapon mods have been merged. Very very very rarely will anyone be running over 200 script heavy plugins... well, except maybe 3 people in the whole universe so the concern about the 255 plugin limitation is unnecessary. I guarantee that 80% of mods people download will be armor/clothing, weapons, cosmetic mods, and texture packs. The good news is that these mods are very abundant and very easy to merge together. Hell, 99% of texture packs have no plugin to worry about. All I'm trying to say is that keeping your plugins below the 255 limit is actually rather easy to do.

Archived